• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is the best tactical scout scope?

GuerrillaTactical

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
Ft Collins
I'm looking for the best scout style scope to forward mount on an m1A with a sage EBR stock. I have had bad luck with the standard m14 scope mounts regardless of who make it. I'm looking for a good optic with an illuminated reticle, mils preferred. Any suggestions?

Re: What is the best tactical scout scope?

I think your choice are very limited with "Scout scopes" Leupold & Burris have them with standard reticles, have you considered Aimpoint or something similar?

What type of problems are you having with the receiver mounts?

2nd the LRB M25. When it comes to mounting optics on an M14 there is no better choice, but it does come with a hefty price tag. My theory is pay now and you'll never need to look further. Any one of the USO scopes up to the 1.8-10 will satisfy your needs for a scout scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any one of the USO scopes up to the 1.8-10 will satisfy your needs for a scout scope. </div></div>

Isn't a scout scope a extended eye relief scope that would be mounted forward of the receiver?

I'm curious about the scout scopes as I just got a M1 "Tanker" and was thinking of putting a railed handguard on top just for that purpose (or an aimpoint).

sobrbiker883 you are correct, the scout scope is designed to be mounted forward of the receiver.

I assumed (never a good idea) G-TAC was only going that route because he was frustrated with the receiver mounting options for the M14... which is why I suggested an LRB receiver.

If we are talking Scout Scopes, I have been happy (so far) with the Leupold on my Guide Gun, although it is a hunting rig, not tactical.

2ecj2i1.jpg

I guess I wasn't really thinking about it that way, but you are correct. I get caught up in the shorter barreled M14's and have always mounted the optics over the receiver. Since I never felt a reason to have anything over 10x on a shorter barrel I mistakenly referred to it as a scout scope not realizing before I shot my mouth off that most scenarios for that application are forward mounted and extended eye relief. Sorry for the confusion.

Of course that doesn't mean my preference of mounting optics on the M14 has changed, no matter the barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Any one of the USO scopes up to the 1.8-10 will satisfy your needs for a scout scope. </div></div>

Isn't a scout scope a extended eye relief scope that would be mounted forward of the receiver?

I'm curious about the scout scopes as I just got a M1 "Tanker" and was thinking of putting a railed handguard on top just for that purpose (or an aimpoint). </div></div>

I have played with many Socom 16's and Scout rifles with the forward mounted rail and just couldn't warm up to it. Started messing with mounts for the receiver and had trouble maintaining zeros so eventually turned a very simple concept into an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist for a lot of people. I have to say though, shooting the rifle with optics mounted on that LRB is a dream come true for. Of course there are those that say the M14 was never designed with optics in mind, but LRB sure makes it tempting.

LRB M25 looks like the way to go for sure for an M1A, but if one already has a receiver and isn't building a new rifle for lots of dough (or stuck with jamming enblocs in from above) are there any optins in scout scopes other than hunter style?

Tiger-that is a very nice guide gun!

Thanks sobr.

I think the Aimpoint dot sites work the best on M1A scout setups.
No magnification, but a good fast sight picture.

If you want magnification, some folks put pistol scopes up there...

LRB not an option at this point, its a SE tricked out rifle, cryo treated. Anyone ever use the new EOTECH with 308 reticle?

burris handgun scope
2-7x32
it has a illminated reticle Ballistic plex
I have one and superb
its mounted on a 4570 ruger no 1 with a modified ramp to put it forward
handgun5_02.jpg
mages/handgun5_02.jpg[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If we are talking Scout Scopes, I have been happy (so far) with the Leupold on my Guide Gun, although it is a hunting rig, not tactical.

2ecj2i1.jpg
</div></div>

That is a wicked sick looking piece of kit! Specs?

Switchblade - It is a Wild West Guns' Alaskan CoPilot take-down in .457 Magnum with straight style wood stock and 16.5" barrel.

16k19nt.jpg