• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best way to determine proper L.O.P?

ghost1921

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
Northern CA
What is the best way to determine the best length of pull? I understand that each person is defferent, but I am specifically wondering if there is a physical measurement that I can take on myself that would help me to create the best LOP for me. This will be for a tactical build with a custom spacer.
Thanks,
Todd

Re: What is the best way to determine proper L.O.P?

measure from the tip of your trigger finger to the crease on the inside of your elbow

I could be wrong. I don't think there is a set measurement to take. Too many variables. The standard LOP is 13.5" or whatever. If you need something to fit better or more comfortable... You get an adjustable butt plate and adjust as desired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">measure from the tip of your trigger finger to the crease on the inside of your elbow </div></div>

I just did that and I measure 16". And I'm 6'1". So... I don't think that holds water...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">measure from the tip of your trigger finger to the crease on the inside of your elbow </div></div>

I just did that and I measure 16". And I'm 6'1". So... I don't think that holds water... </div></div>

Measure with you arm bent 90 degrees at the elbow, it'll make a difference.

Bill

Uhmm, actually measure 16.5" straight out and 15.5" bent 90 ? not much of a difference

yea, i'm 6'4" and i get 16.5" measring from inside of elbow at 90* to the first joint of the trigger finger. 16.5 LOP ain't gonna happen with most stocks. i just got used to shooting standard stocks and live with it. plus, the extra 3" would make the rifle ungainly to handle.

good to know. I end measuring 15-1/4" I think I'll set for about 14-3/4".
Thanks for the info.

Ehhh, I dunno... 14.75 seems like a stretch. I would find someone that has an adjustable stock to play with before I spent any money but it's your call... JMO

You need to cock your finger as if you were pulling the trigger

The method of measure from inside elbow at 90 to trigger finger seems like the combination. That gives me a good 14-3/4". When I measure finger extended I get 17.5". I'm 6'3" with long arms so it's not a stretch for me.
Thanks for the good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to cock your finger as if you were pulling the trigger </div></div>

Now we are talkin'...lol doing that put's me at right about 13.5"....
laugh.gif

There is a good write-up on this here . This is from a shotgun guy, but the same rule applies... about an inch between your nose and thumb when the gun is mounted. The elbow to the trigger measurement will get you close, but it is incomplete. Neck length, musculature, fat, etc., all play into this. Further, it is going to vary gun to gun. For instance, comb height can play into it.

But if you take one of your stocks and perform the test as above, you should be able to get it about right. Using the above, I figured out that the stock I have been using for years is an inch too long.

The bottom line really is comfort, though. If you like the way something fits, no reason to change.

Sorry I didnt explain better, I was in a rush earlier.

Im 6'6" and I run mine at 14.5" but I can tolerate 13.5"

Good luck with your project

There is much to be said for LOP.

Some fit for a static shot.

Some fit for quick take up.

Some fit for eye to scope.

In the days of wooden stocks we had what were called "try guns" they had stocks that were cut in every conceivable angle and adjustable. Shotguns, LOP is just about everything. Carry rifles (hunting) for a quick lift important as well.

The best rule of thumb before the advent of scope was "the rule of thumb" and that meant the distance from nose to thumb and it usually came in at about an inch.

Then there is Cant, Drop, Pitch, Cast and so much more.

I like mcm308's way best.