• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what is the correct sling used on the early m40

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    Okay, I recently got the remington commemorative m40. I ordered the green leupold scope and badger retro rings. I was thinking about going authentic but decided against it as it is on a commemorative rifle. Anyway, the rifle comes with a nylon sling in the box. I am wondering what was the slings that were issued on the early models. I would assume leather, and are these availible? either real or reproduction? Not sure if I'm gonna shoot it, but want to make ready to go if i do...

Re: what is the correct sling used on the early m4

Well I just hung up from talking to my M1/M14 guru. According to him, all of the following slings would have been available to the GI when the M40 started being used:

- brass frogged M1907
    - steel frogged M1907
    - brass hardware cotton web
    - steel hardware cotton web
    - steel hardware nylon web

The brass hardware M1907 and web are the least likely slings that would have been used, though they were in the system at the time.

I would be inclined to outfit it with a steel hardware M1907 (non-MRT) or a steel hardware nylon web sling if it were my rifle. I have yet to document an MRT (Mildew Resistant Treatment) M1907 sling, commonly associated with the M40A1, with a date prior to 1980, so it is safe to assume the MRT variant was not in use in the 60s when the original M40 came out.

I sold my USMC sniper book that was from the M40 era, but if memory serves me well the illustrations in the book showed the M1907 sling.

Does anyone else have intel on when the MRT M1907 became available? Here is an interesting clue that MRT was available in the 50s for cotton web slings.

I just got my M40 last week. Congrats on yours! I Love mine! It's number 398! As soon as I can get my pictures emailed to myself I'll post them. It shoots Fantastic! I shoot everything I own! I just put on the sling it came with. I put an old Redfield Accu-range 6-18x on mine with Redfield rings and base. The rings only have 2 screws but they're close enough. I didn't go the Leupold route because it's further from "original" than my 6-18x... and the 6-18x was already in my posession. I can't swing the $800 they want for the Leupold/Badger setup. At least I'm looking at that awesome Tombstone!

okay so it seems that either I'll be getting a Les Tam or Turner. There are a couple old wwI or 2 models on both Gb and ebay. I like the look of the Les Tam reproduction. 3 months wait though......ugg. Does anyone have a les tam they wouldn't mind moving?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NH- Was always wondering about the leather slings, who made them and the MRT markings etc. Do you know if any one company made the leather slings for the military or was it a bid contract like many other items with different companies making them over the years. Just curious as I have never read anything about the history of rifle slings used. Thanks.</div></div>

All of the M1907 (leather) and the M1 (web) slings were bid out on contract. I know that Boyt was one of the larger of the leather sling manufacturers.

You might want to ask Bill Ricca about the individual contractors. There isn't much that he doesn't know about GI gear! www.billricca.com or 610-298-2748

If memory serves me correct.. The brass hardware 1907 slings were WWII era and prior maybe into the Korean War. The switched to the Black steel at some point and I think the black steel would be correct for the 60's era and later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

mcm308-Damn you, I had plans for that sling!!!!! Hope you toss and turn for a few nights during your short guilt trip
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

laugh.gif
    That sucker is gonna look nicey nice my A1 !
    smile.gif

The point my guru made, specific to the 60's era adoption of the M40, is that the contract mfrs could have stock on hand that was decades old and the govt could also have stock that is decades old, new and used, therefore all the slings I listed were available in the mil channel at the time.