• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the deal with GPO scopes?

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I've never heard of GPO scopes. I've tried to do some research and there's not much to go on. I'm not even sure where they're made. I saw one source where they said they were made in Japan and "other Asian countries". Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm starting to think they're like Vector scopes...kinda hit and miss. You are never sure what you're buying.

EDIT: Confused GPO with GSO, my bad.
Thanks for refreshing my memory CST :)

Last edited:
I have this extremely bad habit of trying to find hidden gems. You know, the scopes that are just as good as (insert top name scope here) for much less money.

Started by Mike Jensen, formerly of Zeiss.

I have a 3-9 illuminated. Reminds me of the Zeiss Conquest and Meopta Meopro line of scopes, but feels more rugged. Tracks dead on.

Really wanted to grab their Spectra 6 2-12 that Doug was blowing out at Cameraland, but funds went to another project.

Here in Australia they sell models that are not on their website. I have looked at a few scopes from their "Evolve" line and they seem well made and optically clear. Problem is they don't mention any "Evolve". Similarly the "Passion" line that was once on their website was never sold in Australia but looked very much like the "Evolve". GPO seems to take great pains to make sure the country of manufacture of their scopes is kept secret. Any GPO optic I have looked at never had the details of where it was made on either the scope or the box. I don't like the discrepancies with models, using different names in other countries nor secrecy about where things are made - hence I never bought one.

GPO was started about 8 years ago by Mike Jensen, former president of Zeiss USA, and Richard Schmidt, from Germany, former Swaro and Zeiss R&D guy. All their products are designed and quality controlled in Germany and are made in Philippines, China and Japan. Excellent quality priced below what you'd expect with their lifetime no fault warranty. USA offices are in VA. Please feel free to give a call with any questions

Reactions: Ezana4CE and lash
As I recall, they make the Blaser scopes.
And something something with some of the old Premier folks, and Minox.

But, my memory can be a fuzzy at times.

That was German Sport Optics...

"The Blaser Group acquired Minox through the merger of Optronika, Minox, and Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH. The merger resulted in the formation of German Sports Optics (GSO), which has been considered one of the finest producers of long-range hunting rifle scopes by veterans. GSO was recently renamed to Blaser Group Wetzlar, representing all companies owned by the Blaser Group in the city of Wetzlar, Germany."

• Love
Reactions: tangloppen
When the company started, I thought "wow that is really exciting, that some executives from big German optics companies were going to do something new.

Then the Vortex smell started to overtake the experience and I lost interest.