• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the difference between bolt release on Rem 700 clone actions vs factory? I want to install a 2-stage triggertech diamond

juha_teuvonnen

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2013
I would like to replace the x-mark trigger on my Rem 700P with a Triggertech diamond 2-stage. Sadly, this trigger is only available for clone actions and not for "factory Remington 700". Triggertech web site seems to imply that there is a difference between the bolt release on the factory rifles and clones. I own two Remington 700P rifles and no clones, so I have no idea what this difference might be. What is the difference between the Remington factory rifles and clone actions with respect to bolt release? Can the Remington factory rifle be modified by a competent gunsmith to accept the Triggertech 2-stage?

Yes the Remington can be modified to have a side bolt stop....

I’d rather spend the money on a bixnandy though that comes with the bolt release on the trigger vs the trigger tech diamond since it would mean additional labor to compensate for the tt bolt st.

Factory bolt stop, button on the bottom of the trigger pushes the side slide which actuated the lever.
1606456210309.jpeg

Side bolt stop installed to eliminate the trigger mounted lever, just push on that side button.
1606456462369.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaching in is simple but a PITA....I sure like my side release.....

You could go with the Special, which come with the bolt release. The only difference between the two, is the pull weights.

Trigger Control Details
Weapon Platform: Remington 700
Trigger Lever Type: Pro Curved or Flat
Trigger Action: Two-Stage
Diamond Pull Weight:
1st stage: <4 to 20 oz
2nd stage: <4 to 24 oz
Special Pull Weight:
1st stage: 8 to 24 oz
2nd stage: 8 to 32 oz
Bolt Release: (Diamond – without. Special with/without)
Safety: With (removable)
First-Stage Lockout: Yes
Hand: Right only
FRT: Yes
TKR Technology: Yes
CLKR Technology: Yes
Overtravel: Sub .010"
Warranty: Product lifetime

You’ll have to reach in beside the bolt and move the bolt stop out of the way...a toothpick is long enough to accomplish this...when you want to remove the bolt.

Never thought of a toothpick. Always used a very smal flat screwdriver to release the bolt on our XP-100’s. Works but as been said, it is a PITA as it really takes three hands.

Bix n andy or giessele for 2 stage triggers, comes with factory style bolt release at no additional charge....

Bix n andy or giessele for 2 stage triggers, comes with factory style bolt release at no additional charge....
Bix n andy seems to be on the expensive side. Do I need to order it from Germany, or are the US vendors? How does it compare to Triggertech diamond 2-stage?

I like Geissele SSA-E in my ARs, IMHO it is an excellent trigger for that platform. How does their Rem 700 trigger compare to Triggertech? I shot my buddy's rifle with triggertech, and really liked it.

I have heard good reviews of the David Tubb trigger, but never tried it. Any opinions on that one?

Additionally, how well do these triggers do in a dusty environment? I noticed that my X mark pro trigger works differently after a day in the dusty field. It still works, just not as consistently.

Last edited:
Triggertech is lighter for sure than giessele. The 3 giessele 700 I've had are very crisp 2nd stage. They have been fielded in mk13 system, so they are field grade, just not br light. They just don't go as light. If you want a 8oz break look at triggertech or bix. I buy my bix from bullet central. A tacsport pro 2 stage is gonna be equal/better than a triggertech 2 stage. Sear height is changeable on bix, triggertech isn't. A bix tacsport pro is around 300, which is what the diamond is.

Last edited:
I re-evaluated and decided that for real-life shooting I don't need a trigger that adjusts to less than 1lb. It's not a benchrest gun. If I can't get the groups I was getting with x-mark pro with a high quality two stage 1lb trigger, it's not the gun that needs work but my trigger control technique. I called Triggertech and they were very nice; they changed my order from Diamond to Special and even applied all the black Friday discounts (I made the original order on Black Friday).