• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report what is the fastest / biggest 30 cal cartridge

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
were having a long standing argument about which is the king of ,30 type cartridges that is .308 bullet dia,
One that actually excists , so far the 30-338lap is looking about the biggest we can find in our club
Anyone shoot bigger? Help me win this one
Cheers

Re: what is the fastest / biggest 30 cal cartridge

30-20mm Vulcan...

In seriousness, I was under the impression that someone had built a 30/408CT, and IIRC that would be larger than a 30-338LM

I think I saw it listed on this place in the past few weeks, but I can't seem to find it now.

that certainly beats the 30-338
Any info on that

.308 Warbird? (Lazzaroni) Have been around a couple of them...absolute cannon!!

whats the 300 hulk?

Here's a line up of what I have and shoot in magnum .30's. The 50 BMG is for comparison. Next to it is the biggest 30 cal I have which is a 300 Kong , basically a 30-378 WBY with a blown out conventional shoulder. The case holds 137 grs of water.

IMG_8111.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">L-R....50 BMG, 300 Kong, 300 RUM, 300 WBY, 300 H&H, 300 Win, 308 Norma, 300 WSM </span>

great picture
What is the kong data ?
How does it compare with the 300rum

Ahem: Why?

There comes a point in the spectrum where you simply get better performance from the same case size from the next larger bullet size; for almost any metric you care to apply--accuracy, energy, momentum, barrel life...

That is, with a set of givens a larger bullet traveling a little slower flies farther, hits wil greater energy and momentum, and has better barel life--with slightly worse trajectory up-close and must better trajectory out-there.

Now if its just for fun--why not?

how many shots can you take before you have to rebarrel the damn thing?

Keep in mind that with a lot of those cartridges, by the time you tune your load & work out your dope, the barrel's toast. Like a musket, only with heat crazing inside.

GAP can build you a custom barrel burner: George built a custom chambering just to burn out a barrel. 30 cal 175's at 3600fps-plus I think.

The Lazzeroni .308 Warbird is the fastest 30 caliber rifle out there.

this is what I thought !!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buttman21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Lazzeroni .308 Warbird is the fastest 30 caliber rifle out there. </div></div>