• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is the fix....

shooter65

General
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2004
    Indiana
    When you drop a barreled action into a new stock and it rocks from the end of the barrel to the back of the receiver?

When you put it all together the barrel has a slight upward incline.

Re: What is the fix....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you drop a barreled action into a new stock </div></div>

Pillar bed it using my method. Theres nothing you can do about the barrel except replace it. If the bullet enters the throat/bore straight and exits the muzzle/crown straight, life is good.

Bell and Carlson. The stock is brand new and I just received the barreld action in the mail today from Dave Tooley. barreled action is also brand new. 700 action with a Krieger barrel.. Could the recoil lug be too long? It is a Badger.

Take the Arizona Iced Tea shims out of the stock!!!

How did you get a Badger to fit into a Bell and Carlson? Did you dremmel it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could the recoil lug be too long? It is a Badger. </div></div>

That'd be my first guess with the info you posted!

The width is fine but I think it is too long. Thus the rocking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the Arizona Iced Tea shims out of the stock!!!

How did you get a Badger to fit into a Bell and Carlson? Did you dremmel it? </div></div>

Use a hand mill (AKA Dremel) to make the inlett deeper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the Arizona Iced Tea shims out of the stock!!!

</div></div>

Actually he could put shims in.......some 'smiths do I hear.

Is the BC stock the version with the aluminum bedding block? If so and you are not planning on bedding the stock, you could shorten the recoil lug. If not and you take the WECSOG hand mill to the recoil lug recess try to just remove bottom and front material. However, if you modify the bedding block I'd bed it anyway (I bed any stock, that's just me).

If your BC stock isn't the aluminunm chassis'd model I'd take wnroscoe's advice and pillar bed it.

The stock has the aluminum bedding block. Recoil lug was a little too long. Milled off .035 and the fit is perfect.

Tooley22310001.jpg

Tooley22320001.jpg

Tooley22330001.jpg

Tooley22340001.jpg

That is a good looking stick! I plan on building a .223 next time. What are the specs on it and what bullet you plan on shooting?

223 Remington, Jewell trigger, trued 700 action, 26'' 8 twist Krieger, Bell and Carlson Light Tactical Stock, Nikon 4-16 Tactical scope, Callahan bolt knob, Burris rings, Warne base.

Will be shooting 75 and 77 gr. match ammo.

very nice rifle.if it is not alot to ask.roundabout how much dit the build cost.at one point i owned a heavy barrel 223,but got rid of it.why i dont know because here i am wanting another one.

Paid $1,000 for the barreled action in the beginning. Then I bought a new Krieger for $300 plus Dave Tooley's cost for the re barrel and trueing, $200 for the Jewell trigger, $175 for the stock. Sold the original Shilen barrel for $210.
    Already had the scope , base and rings. Sent Dave some Black Hills 75 gr. match ammo for the chamber work.

Will get it to the range within a couple of weeks to see what it will do. There is no doubt it my mind that this rifle will shoot bug holes.

that is a very nice rifle for the investment.i really like the 223 for its appetite.seems like they will shoot just about anything well,and somthings very well

The .223 is very versatile. Accuarte, cheap to shoot, and with the heavy bullets does very well out to 600 yds.plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the Arizona Iced Tea shims out of the stock!!!</div></div>

HaHa!
    laugh.gif