• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report What is the group size on this target

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
I have never sat down to figure out the proper way to determine group size & I would like to know if someone can tell me what the group size is for this 5 shot group. I have marked on the target documenting the size of 1"... it should be noted that each on of the boxes is equal to an inch.
150target.jpg

Re: What is the group size on this target

Measure from the "far" side of one bullet hole to the "near" side of the furthest one. That will give you a more accurate center-to-center reading that outside edge to outside edge then minus bullet diameter. Holes in paper made by .308 projectiles tend to be close to .270 or so because of some elasticity in the paper, making groups "measured" that way read smaller than they really are.

I'm too lazy to unlock the garage and get my calipers and correct for my screen size, but would guess at about or perhaps very slightly under 1/2-inch, which is also just a tiny bit less than 1/2 MOA (that 1.046 or whatever thing).

El Gordo.. thanks to the link to the program. I wish I would have shot it at either 100 yds or 200 yds, instead of 150.

This is a very handy tool. Thanks again

Yes, it's about a half inch from center to center. Like stated, measure from the outside of the two furthest shots, and subtract bullet diameter (.308, .284, .277, etc) for actual group size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and subtract bullet diameter (.308, .284, .277, etc) for actual group size. </div></div>

Bullet diameter does not equal hole diameter.

See Grump's post, he's got it.

Looks to be about 1/2 inch. Measure outside then subtract bullet diameter.