• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the ideal SHTF optic?

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I’ve posted opinions on the need for a legit MPVO battle optic. Most people would say a red dot or LPVO or both is best. I think a 1-10 LPVO might be ideal, but the optical limitations on a 10x erector limit performa CE and greatly increase prices. I think if the solution to a problem is $3500 then you haven’t really solved it.

Here’s my reasoning. I’m open to suggestion though, so you’re welcome to Change my mind.

I think when SHTF occurs, whether it is a local riot or something larger like power grid goes down, US Dollar devalues to worthlessness or a foreign invasion, the idea that you’ll have lots of run and gun 10-25 yard encounters is incorrect. This is what everyone trains for, but I think people are smarter than we give them credit for. The will to live is the most powerful human instinct. If you put millions of people in a life or death situation, they will not be running up your sidewalk in broad daylight to break down your door.

Let’s take the big cities, where gun ownership is oppressed by “the man”, gun knowledge and training is very low. Once SHTF, there will be an initial culling of the herd where the drug addicted and starving kill each other. After that wake up call, the remaining people, well over 50% I think, have hunkered down and pooled resources. They scavenged weapons and ammo from the dead. Hopefully these people will want to join the rest of society in the fight for survival, but if they don’t, they will likely be coming for our resources in the burbs and rural areas. Or they are foreign invaders intent on killing us. Either way, these combatants will be keeping a low profile. Even moving through suburbia, going house to house, you can expect it to be night time, they will hide behind cars, edge of buildings, privacy fences, any cover they can find. They will not be a mob walking down the middle of the street like portrayed in movies.

I read a report, sorry can’t remember where, that they examined foreign civil unrest situations of the past. Most of the shooting done inside cities and towns were at distances of 50 yards and greater. People don’t like to get shot! They aren’t very bold when they know everyone else has a gun. So most shooting was done from cover, pop up shoot, drop down. Targets are small. An exposed shoulder, a foot under a car, top of a head behind a wall etc. Hiding in empty houses and apartments and shooting out windows down the street. People would take pot shots from 200-300 yards away hoping to get lucky and then slink in and take the gun, food, car or whatever.

I think your handgun is there for the CQB stuff if needed, but what is really needed is the ability to return fire to attackers from 50-300 yds away, shooting from behind cover. They aren’t going to knock on your front door. When they shoot, your return fire target will be a few inches in size. Quick precision will be needed in a gun that is not 20# and a red dot will be insufficient at times. I think the ideal optic will be a 1-6x, 1-8x LPVO or a 2-10x, 2-12x MPVO. I personally would prefer the latter, but there are no great candidates right now with a reticle purpose built for this kind of shooting. Exceptions are maybe the chinese made Athlon and Swampfox 2-12x’s.

So again, I’ll ask, what is the ideal SHTF optic? Does this optic even exist yet? Or do you disagree completely with everything stated above and you believe red dot is the way to go or your 3-18x will do just fine?

P.S. - I don’t think I’m alone on this. Many well regarded rifle scope reviewers have mentioned a desire for improved choices in this area. C_DOES on YT, @Glassaholic here on the hide, Brass Facts as well as Barrel & Hatchet on YT. SupersetCA, now called Gunners Guild on Rumble has made similar statements. This purpose built MPVO, It’s not just to occupy the space in between all the other groups. In fact, I would argue, it is the most important category.

SB 520 ultra short with a red dot end of story lock thread

20240119_113653.jpg

Trijicon VCOG 1-8 is my SHTF scope. If you need/want illumination, having the ability to power your optics with rechargeable AA batteries and a small portable solar panel is where it's at.

I have a VCOG 1-6x on 4 of my ARs too. My 18" AR has the 77 gr reticle, two other ARs have the 55 gr reticle, and one has the 300 bo reticle.

Last edited:
Reactions: blue_ridge
My SHTF (more like truck gun) setup is a A2 carry handle held on by nylock nuts then jam nutted. You absolutely need a cresent wrench to get that bastard off. Then a regular A2 post up front.

Its always ON, doesn't need re-zero after a bump, doesn't need cleaned or treated any different than the rest of the rifle. Effective enough to get me out of harms way, even in the dark.

If something should happen.......car wreck......theft......etc. I feel better about losing a $500 rifle than a $5000 super whizbang ninja rifle.

A lot more has been accomplished with a lot less.

Ern

So not wanting to sound mean, but you know your post half comes off as "hopeful fantasy" to put it in family friendly terms.
The future is unlikely to be like the movies, or your cool end of the world fantasy story books.
The future is probably more likely to look like the movie "the road" that anything else.

Just as a note, you are more likely to be using a handgun than anything else in that situation.
A G17 or G19 you have on you at all times might be used way more than any cool rifle.
Make sure your handgun is squared away first.

Go look around your neighbourhood around your local AO and see what the furthest distance you really are going to be able to take a shot at is likely to be.
Base your needs around that.
Urban is going to favour quick at close range
Suburban is going to favour quick at close to a bit further distance
Rural is going to favour longer distances with the chance for close.

Really close up like around your house and suburban yard, a large window holographic sight such as the old Eotech or the Vortex UH1 or similar Holosun is going to be very hard to beat for speed and a flip to side magnifier in 3x or so can be a big help. (if it has a huge window).

A 1-6 or 1-8 or 1-10 scope with a side mounted RDS is a good option for giving you a decent in between that will work well for most things.

If you think most will be done longer range, then get a higher powered scope and a side mounted RDS

On your primary optic, ask yourself this, can you use it at the lowest power without illumination to take quick aimed shots with reasonable lighting?
If not... now you are having to make sure to turn something on / something comes on and having batteries and not having the circuits blown or damaged.

Also remember, unlike the range, real threats move, they return fire, they are not static and you might need to also be on the move.
Weight and speed of being able to bring your rifle around to a target will be an issue as well as how quickly you can get an aimed shot off.

That's your primary rifle.

Then have fun setting up your cool DMR rifle for if you have the luxury of sitting back and defending a place.

W54 I agree with most of what you said and don’t think my OP disagrees much. But studies of actual civil unrest situations indicate more 50-150 yd engagements than 10-25 yds. But I agree handgun is the tool for those CQB situations. This leads me even more in the direction of a scope that excels at close to medium range precision, isn’t too heavy, with a reticle that works well at both ends of the magnification range. QD mounts with BUIS too.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
W54 I agree with most of what you said and don’t think my OP disagrees much. But studies of actual civil unrest situations indicate more 50-150 yd engagements than 10-25 yds. But I agree handgun is the tool for those CQB situations. This leads me even more in the direction of a scope that excels at close to medium range precision, isn’t too heavy, with a reticle that works well at both ends of the magnification range. QD mounts with BUIS too.

It's a like it or hate it scope:

It's not a scope for a square range.

The reticle works well 1x to 8x with or without illumination.
It will get you on the bad guy really quick.

Something similar to this with a 45 degree RDS would be on most of my go to rifles for quick defense.

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382
One that doesn’t often break, warranty won’t mean much in those times, nor will Gucci and bragging rights. It needs to work first and foremost knowing it can’t be sent back.

I’ll also add, a reticle you can actually see without illumination/batteries in low light. That said, make the best of whatever you have and hopefully it never comes to that.

Last edited:
For suburbia on the edge of rural in an east coast state with a lot of wooded terrain I know well and know how to hunt in well (my situation):

308 with a March 1.5-15 and a piggyback DPP NV, adding a thermal clip on to it later this year.

Thankfully my hunting trips and use cases justify the clip-on for use with other rifles as well, but when not out doing that it will live with the battle rifle.

308 because even if the whole system is heavier, it's capable to the distances and situations I could likely encounter, and extra ammunition is not difficult to acquire should I run low for whatever godforsaken reason.

Some things to think about:

1) barrier performance of your projectiles will matter. no target is going to play nice and give you a clean shot, and/or glass causes more problems than you'd think.

2) whatever choice you make, remember that large pieces of glass reflect light, and plan accordingly:

to me the above matters most because the second amendment does not exist just for personal defense, but national defense. In keeping modern arms we choose to be part of the defense of our nation, and that only works if we're adequately prepared for the realities of a modern confrontation.

OP, I'd suggest you talk to or read the story's of those who have went down that road. There are plenty of people on the web that have told their story's from many different country's.

To a person of all I have read, none said a scoped rifle was the be all. In fact many said the later was just about useless in anything where 400 yd and under shots were the norm, unless their eyes were an issue. Even those w/bad eyes none used more than 4x, to get their point across.

The bulk wanted or used an AK47 with just irons & steel core ammo.

Thermal or NV.

If you can't see at night, but your enemy can, you're a corpse.
Street resupply will provide many fine tools & supply's, Tactics will trump the bulk, who think XYZ tool will save them. The number one tactic, prior information, as to where XXX is storied & how is it protected? Once the ROL is out the window, your possibility's are only limited by your mind & physical abilitys, or friends with same.

Handgun - irons
Rifle - Accupoint 1-6 + offset irons

Accupoint will never need batteries and leaves the possibility of illumination in daylight conditions. So you at least have something. Lpvo over red dot for possible electronics failure.

Reactions: stanley_white
Since OP specified “ideal” and there is nothing about urban environments that is even “doesn’t suck” much less “ideal”, I’m going with NF 7-35 atacr and will be in the rural mountains
Man at least pick a non Asian made scope on this fantasy land boogigloo glow dream from the OP...

I’ve posted opinions on the need for a legit MPVO battle optic. Most people would say a red dot or LPVO or both is best. I think a 1-10 LPVO might be ideal, but the optical limitations on a 10x erector limit performa CE and greatly increase prices. I think if the solution to a problem is $3500 then you haven’t really solved it.

Here’s my reasoning. I’m open to suggestion though, so you’re welcome to Change my mind.

I think when SHTF occurs, whether it is a local riot or something larger like power grid goes down, US Dollar devalues to worthlessness or a foreign invasion, the idea that you’ll have lots of run and gun 10-25 yard encounters is incorrect. This is what everyone trains for, but I think people are smarter than we give them credit for. The will to live is the most powerful human instinct. If you put millions of people in a life or death situation, they will not be running up your sidewalk in broad daylight to break down your door.

Let’s take the big cities, where gun ownership is oppressed by “the man”, gun knowledge and training is very low. Once SHTF, there will be an initial culling of the herd where the drug addicted and starving kill each other. After that wake up call, the remaining people, well over 50% I think, have hunkered down and pooled resources. They scavenged weapons and ammo from the dead. Hopefully these people will want to join the rest of society in the fight for survival, but if they don’t, they will likely be coming for our resources in the burbs and rural areas. Or they are foreign invaders intent on killing us. Either way, these combatants will be keeping a low profile. Even moving through suburbia, going house to house, you can expect it to be night time, they will hide behind cars, edge of buildings, privacy fences, any cover they can find. They will not be a mob walking down the middle of the street like portrayed in movies.

I read a report, sorry can’t remember where, that they examined foreign civil unrest situations of the past. Most of the shooting done inside cities and towns were at distances of 50 yards and greater. People don’t like to get shot! They aren’t very bold when they know everyone else has a gun. So most shooting was done from cover, pop up shoot, drop down. Targets are small. An exposed shoulder, a foot under a car, top of a head behind a wall etc. Hiding in empty houses and apartments and shooting out windows down the street. People would take pot shots from 200-300 yards away hoping to get lucky and then slink in and take the gun, food, car or whatever.

I think your handgun is there for the CQB stuff if needed, but what is really needed is the ability to return fire to attackers from 50-300 yds away, shooting from behind cover. They aren’t going to knock on your front door. When they shoot, your return fire target will be a few inches in size. Quick precision will be needed in a gun that is not 20# and a red dot will be insufficient at times. I think the ideal optic will be a 1-6x, 1-8x LPVO or a 2-10x, 2-12x MPVO. I personally would prefer the latter, but there are no great candidates right now with a reticle purpose built for this kind of shooting. Exceptions are maybe the chinese made Athlon and Swampfox 2-12x’s.

So again, I’ll ask, what is the ideal SHTF optic? Does this optic even exist yet? Or do you disagree completely with everything stated above and you believe red dot is the way to go or your 3-18x will do just fine?

P.S. - I don’t think I’m alone on this. Many well regarded rifle scope reviewers have mentioned a desire for improved choices in this area. C_DOES on YT, @Glassaholic here on the hide, Brass Facts as well as Barrel & Hatchet on YT. SupersetCA, now called Gunners Guild on Rumble has made similar statements. This purpose built MPVO, It’s not just to occupy the space in between all the other groups. In fact, I would argue, it is the most important category.

Not aimed at you, but to answer your questions.

The brains that be determined our average engagement distance in an urban engagement (Baghdad, Fallujah, Ramadi) to be 19 meters. That's it. I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same in LA, Atlanta, Houston etc..

"But Im going to bug out to the woods and live off of catching deers!"

^ You and 40 million other dudes in the U. S. share this fantasy. This means that the interstate will turn into a log jam around any decent-sized urban area...especially after the first asshole manages to turn over his travel trailer. Back to the 19 meters you go...in and around vehicles.

One mile sniper standoffs are a great movie idea, but not reality. So is the idea that you are going to somehow survive a bunch of gunfights, while stacking bodies left and right. Unless you're part of a force/skilled team with assets, you aren't going through the ammo you can carry on your person before some nitwit in a Tommy Hillfiger hat pops you from behind.

I would venture to guess that I would be well enough armed (should I have to leave my domicile and move about the country) with a 14.5 - 18" 5.56, or 7.62x51, with a decent 1-6 or 1-8x LPVO on top...bonus points to the one with the reticle that works better at 1x without illumination. Offset red dots on a regular scope are another idea...not ideal IMO, but probably not bad if you're well trained with them. Iron sights are a must. My bet is that 98% of violence would occur at 200 yards or less...this isn't war. The 8x at top would almost always be used for scanning, like binos.

I don't figure I'd last long trying to travel.

Youtube optics reviewers are not high on my list of dudes who I value their opinion regarding combat, and combat optics. Nothing against them, but I want to hear from the guy with six combat departments and 3 failed marriages...not somebody who makes pew pews at cardboard.

My HD rifle wears an EOTech. My ranch rifle is an 18", 5.56 with 1-8x.

if your buying Japanese at least get the best and get a g3 razor lol
Well at least it would be a good color match with elite sand on my axsr which is ideal shtf rifle.

I mean ideally you’re a long friggin way away from whatever it is what needs shooting

• Love
Reactions: Huskydriver

The brains that be determined our average engagement distance in an urban engagement (Baghdad, Fallujah, Ramadi) to be 19 meters. That's it. I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same in LA, Atlanta, Houston etc..

^ You and 40 million other dudes in the U. S. share this fantasy. This means that the interstate will turn into a log jam around any decent-sized urban area...especially after the first asshole manages to turn over his travel trailer. Back to the 19 meters you go...in and around vehicles.

One mile sniper standoffs are a great movie idea, but not reality. So is the idea that you are going to somehow survive a bunch of gunfights, while stacking bodies left and right. Unless you're part of a force/skilled team with assets, you aren't going through the ammo you can carry on your person before some nitwit in a Tommy Hillfiger hat pops you from behind.

I would venture to guess that I would be well enough armed (should I have to leave my domicile and move about the country) with a 14.5 - 18" 5.56, or 7.62x51, with a decent 1-6 or 1-8x LPVO on top...bonus points to the one with the reticle that works better at 1x without illumination. Offset red dots on a regular scope are another idea...not ideal IMO, but probably not bad if you're well trained with them. Iron sights are a must. My bet is that 98% of violence would occur at 200 yards or less...this isn't war. The 8x at top would almost always be used for scanning, like binos.

Youtube optics reviewers are not high on my list of dudes who I value their opinion regarding combat, and combat optics. Nothing against them, but I want to hear from the guy with six combat departments and 3 failed marriages...not somebody who makes pew pews at cardboard.

1712534031847.gif

Day 13 of the collapse... I have out cardiod all the neckbeards and all the primary arms/other Asian import running larpers scopes have failed after 2 weeks of hard use...

I have now become a warlord with my superior German optics and I'm having a modern castle built off the slave labor from all pogs and soi's around me...

Last edited:
Everybody’s a gangster till some 300lb molon labia claps you with grandpas 30-30 from the tree line

All the tier 1 optics and gucci gear won’t mean shit if your dead

Would rather die with a Schmidt in hand then be seen alive with arken #amiright

Best to get ahead of things and start clapping neighbors as soon as the first day of the end is announced by CNN. Longer they live the more food they eat. Better safe than sorry. Or hungry. Probably awkward while grid is still up. And police still an intact organization. But gotta do what ya gotta do, amirite?

Best to get ahead of things and start clapping neighbors as soon as the first day of the end is announced by CNN. Longer they live the more food they eat. Better safe than sorry. Or hungry. Probably awkward while grid is still up. And police still an intact organization. But gotta do what ya gotta do, amirite?

It's why the prs went to 12 round mags amiright? #capacity

Reactions: TheBigCountry
It's why the prs went to 12 round mags amiright? #capacity

Remember GTA 3 or whatever iteration it was where you could pick up a prostitute, bang her, and then kill her and get your money back and whatever else she had?

It’s like that, but with S&B scopes and Garmin chronos. Just ass loads of FDE loot in an overwhelmingly green, temperate climate. Can’t wait.