• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the longest known .22LR shots?

Re: What is the longest known .22LR shots?

The longest that I have personally shot was a 400 yards, 15 shots all in the ex-large (17") Shoot-N-See target.I used about 16 1/2" of the target but they were all on there. Lots of folks on here can shoot better than I can, but still I'm pretty proud of it.
Semper Fi

Reactions: MarshallDodge

320 yds for me, probably could have shot farthur but no way to measure the distance at that shooting range.

reason I was wondering<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The longest that I have personally shot was a 400 yards, 15 shots all in the ex-large (17") Shoot-N-See target.I used about 16 1/2" of the target but they were all on there. Lots of folks on here can shoot better than I can, but still I'm pretty proud of it.
Semper Fi</div></div>

16 1/2 seems good. I just setup 400 yards last night, so I belive you 100%. I just got into shooting .22LR's. Setup the old AR with one of those kits and have been wondering how far I can go with it. The problem I am having is the ammo being consistant though. I have a suppressor and I can clearly hear the difference in all the ammo. My best group is within 2ft right now. I want to go further, but I kind of wonder what others have tried. Can we get 500 or even 600 yards? At 400 yards they are penatrating 1/2 ply board good. I am shooting with Federal Match Target ammo. I was using the federal champion, but they were really bad at that range. best group with the champion was like 4 ft. Is there a better .22 ammo for the longer range shots?

My brother by blind ass luck dropped a little Ivan @ three hundred meters offhand with his ruger Mk2 and Checkmate suppressor once. First shot.

We both didn't believe it, so we shot about another 30 rounds and couldn't duplicate it.

as far as long range bolt stuff... i'll be getting into it when i get home
smile.gif

Some of us used to set up water jugs on some property where we could shoot from ranges of 400-800 yards. I always carried my Nylon 66 with me anytime I went to the range, and occasionally take a wild shot at a jug, better to say I would hold really high and empty the mag. One day, we had busted all the jugs we had put out except one on the 600 yard line. We just kept missing it. My friend ended up blowing the lid off it, so we said that was enough. When we got out there to where it was, there were several 6mm and .30 cal holes in it, and one tiny little hole right near the bottom. I had hit it with the .22 and all the water had drained out. Pure luck. I couldn't do that again, especially with irons, for all the money in the world.

Reactions: spartan67

I was able to put 3 consecutive hits on a prarie dog at a lazered 370 yards. Not something that I could do regularly, but the conditions worked out and I had a good aiming point that happened to match up.

I shot for a while today. I was able to get some grouping down to 10 inches at 400 yards with a few fly balls I have to attribute to the inconsitancy of the ammo. had some big wind changes down range that threw me off for a bit, but I got it under control I really think 500 needs to be attempted at some targets. Im just surprized nobody is doing this stuff on a regular basis. cheap fun.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lineman711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of us used to set up water jugs on some property where we could shoot from ranges of 400-800 yards. I always carried my Nylon 66 with me anytime I went to the range, and occasionally take a wild shot at a jug, better to say I would hold really high and empty the mag. One day, we had busted all the jugs we had put out except one on the 600 yard line. We just kept missing it. My friend ended up blowing the lid off it, so we said that was enough. When we got out there to where it was, there were several 6mm and .30 cal holes in it, and one tiny little hole right near the bottom. I had hit it with the .22 and all the water had drained out. Pure luck. I couldn't do that again, especially with irons, for all the money in the world. </div></div>

You know...sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! lol.

Branden

Sako Quad in 17HMR...ground squirrel...267 yards as measured with a Swarovski RF....took three shots to get zero'd in

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sako Quad in 17HMR...ground squirrel...267 yards as measured with a Swarovski RF....took three shots to get zero'd in

Pat </div></div>

~300yd shots with a 17hmr is easy when you compare it to a .22lr. I'm not saying it's an easy shot with a 17hmr, just a lot easier than if you were to do it with a .22lr.

Branden

400y with bulk 22's I can put half in a human torso sized steel plate from a 10/22.

With the bolt action and Eley club I've gotten 9/10 repeatedly in the plate.

With a Mk II pistol it's not hard to shoot 185y into a 12" square plate.

human torso sized steel plate at 425 yards....remington 504t with bushnell 3200 elite 10x mil-dot. 50 yard zero. elevation cranked up all the way and i use all of the mil-dots. then i use the lake for wind sighters. i can hit it 10 out of 10 times after the first 2 shots.

Hit a crow once at 300yrd offhand from a fence with a Annie m64 with what scope i cant remember. I wasnt dialing on just using mil hold over. The thing was a tack driver never should have sold it. But the crow just cawed at me and flew away missing a few feathers.

400 yards is the most I can really hit well on a 12" x 12" steel plate. Can't do it 100%, either. Just takes a puff of extra wind at that distance and you have a miss...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a link with 400 yard group and data.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...245#Post1116245</div></div>

Nice post. Seems very similar to my results. I am going to try for 500 yards this weekend if the weather permits.

How much does a .22 drop from 100 to 400? I would think it wuold be a lot?

Well, I went out on sunday and gave 500 yards a shot. Very windy day. It was actually 514 yards. I had a heck of a time hitting the 4 ft X 8 ft ply board my target was on. I hit it 2 times out of 250 rounds with both shots being keyholed. I finally realised there was some pine trees I was hitting on the way. I got frustrated and gave up. I'll wait till a calm day next time and try to find a better place to shoot from.

70 or so MOA out to 400yds. I hand a prarie dog kill at 385yds once after 15 rounds. That was 66 MOA out of my mdl 64.

i have gone out to 250. i ran out of elevation in my scope though. i wish they made canted bases for rimfires. does anyone know if they do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have gone out to 250. i ran out of elevation in my scope though. i wish they made canted bases for rimfires. does anyone know if they do? </div></div>

Yes they do. But I think only for the CZ models. I have a 20MOA base from rimfire technologies for my 452 Varmint.

An alternative is Burris Signature Rings. You can do up to -40 MOA with inserts.

My longest is 200 yards on a 4" steel plate consistantly, I don't know the drop for longer range...using a Savage Mark II.

I personally had shot skeet traps at 230 yds using a 10/22 ruger with tacsol barrel and a 27 year old bushnell banner 3x9 scope. I also had done it with a savage mkII GL series rifle with a Nikon scope.

Hit my target today @ 600 yards. full penetration on 1/4 ply board. Took me a while to figure out where the heck my bullets were going. My scope is shimmed and setup for 400 yards with federal Match .22LR ammo. I switched up to CCI stingers with more fps. and I am aiming about 20 feet above the target at 600 yards which puts the target at about the bottom of the scope. I didnt have any time to dial myself in to see what kind of accuracy there would be at that range. But atleast I know now I can shoot 600 yards with a .22 and still go through my target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2500yards</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hit my target today @ 600 yards. full penetration on 1/4 ply board. Took me a while to figure out where the heck my bullets were going. My scope is shimmed and setup for 400 yards with federal Match .22LR ammo. I switched up to CCI stingers with more fps. and I am aiming about 20 feet above the target at 600 yards which puts the target at about the bottom of the scope. I didnt have any time to dial myself in to see what kind of accuracy there would be at that range. But atleast I know now I can shoot 600 yards with a .22 and still go through my target. </div></div>

MSPaint drawing or it didn't exist!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: H2O Cop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

MSPaint drawing or it didn't exist!
laugh.gif

</div></div>

I will video it when I get it dialed in. I know how there is so much BS'ers on the internet. I'm not one of those people. nor do I think I am special for doing it. Just trying to figure out what the most range I can get out of a .22LR and giving up my results.

Didnt a guy have a .22 come down and go through his shoulder from a guy two miles away shooting at squirrels in a tree. Got to know where your rounds are going!!

"I personally had shot skeet traps at 230 yds"

What is a skeet trap?! A clay bird?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Traveling Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt a guy have a .22 come down and go through his shoulder from a guy two miles away shooting at squirrels in a tree. Got to know where your rounds are going!! </div></div>

I doubt it was 2 miles unless it was a 22mag, but there's all kinds of stories about people doing stupid stuff and shooting into the air and a bullet comes down to kill someone.

I think a number of them are urban legends meant to do 1 of 2 things.

Remind people they need to be responsible
Use it as a reason to convince sheeple that civilians shouldn't own guns.

My longest distance is 250yd, and my best serious performance to date is 17/20 hitting a 10" diameter steel plate with my accurized 10/22.

I was trying out some 40yr old ammo. Not like I really put a lot of extra effort into the task, mostly just a lark.

I just don't do a lot of really longer shots with the .22LR much anymore, mostly just a few pecks at the 200yd steel plate before packing up and going home. Mainly just trying to keep my feel for the longer shots after 50yd and 100yd practice.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Traveling Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt a guy have a .22 come down and go through his shoulder from a guy two miles away shooting at squirrels in a tree. Got to know where your rounds are going!! </div></div>

I doubt it was 2 miles unless it was a 22mag, but there's all kinds of stories about people doing stupid stuff and shooting into the air and a bullet comes down to kill someone.

Use it as a reason to convince sheeple that civilians shouldn't own guns. </div></div>

I believe it happened in Minnesota. I will look for the story again.

My longest is 400 yds on a lot of clay pigeons....nothing on paper at that distance... a hit is a hit and a miss is a miss, so nothing to help you with on group size ...remington 541-t

great practice to see what even a small wind change does to your bullet at 300 and 400 yds

not enough elevation to go beyond and I have the scope turned down to 8 power and hold at the very very bottom to even hit at 400 so any greater distance would be fun to make the occasional hit but not unless I get a lot more elevation somehow

.22LR subsonic 40grn BC.138 1080MV
G1 ballistic model
Velocity @ 400yrds = 688fps/31.6ftlb's

Drops 303.6inches(73.5MOA)--((18.375moa on the scope))
From a 50yrd zero. A decent scope or a shimmed scope could sight it in.

It's all in the math..

Now that 600yrd shot...you have to have been lobbing that shell..
G7 ballistic model with 1430fps ammo drops the same as the above round in G1.. But your going transonic @ ~200yrds

400 yards - Cushman Range, Fairbanks Alaska - 55 gal drum.

2/5 hits.
Marlin Mod 60, Temp probably around -10 as I would not have gone out much colder than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt it was 2 miles unless it was a 22mag, but there's all kinds of stories about people doing stupid stuff and shooting into the air and a bullet comes down to kill someone.

Use it as a reason to convince sheeple that civilians shouldn't own guns. </div></div>

Mythbusters tore this one up pretty good, unless it was going at a 45 or less degree angle it would tumble, exhaust it's energy and fall...

but a 22, hell it's already subsonic at 100 yards.

but make no mistake, Abe Lincoln was killed by a 320fps 32 cal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">400 yards - Cushman Range, Fairbanks Alaska - 55 gal drum.

2/5 hits.
Marlin Mod 60, Temp probably around -10 as I would not have gone out much colder than that.

</div></div>

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but I'm pretty sure the Cushman Range is 300 yards max. Either way good for you for shooting at -10.

Jeremiah

and I thought I was doing good with 200 yard p-dogs, granted I was about 1/10 with them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 95LTZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The longest that I have personally shot was a 400 yards, 15 shots all in the ex-large (17") Shoot-N-See target.I used about 16 1/2" of the target but they were all on there. Lots of folks on here can shoot better than I can, but still I'm pretty proud of it.
Semper Fi </div></div>

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure about the <span style="font-weight: bold">longest</span> shot but I can share something about long range accuracy. We regularly shoot 22lr in 200 yard High Power Rifle competitions. In fact, my lady, Bonnie started out in HP competition with a 22 Marlin bolt action shot from a rest.

Her average score was about 330-350 out of 500 with the 22. Later, she switched to a Marlin 917V in .17HMR. She shoots almost perfect scores at 200 yards with that and won't go back to the 22.

Our friend Adam shot a 475 out of 500 at 200 yards using a Remington 513T .22 with iron sights from NRA positions. I can make that score with an AR-15 in service rifle class at 200 yards so I know how hard it is to do. It was awesome to see Adam get that score with a 22...... at about 67 years of age! I was there.....I know he did it!

Flash

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> about three days ago I took my boy out with his 22. I bought him a marlin model 99 M1 and we went ahead and but a 3x9 scope on it and dialed it in for around 75 yards. After awhile we grew bored and moved over to the 300 yard range just to have some fun.. To make a long story short. 2 rounds of cci mini mags and we hit a pop bottle at 225 yards...Its on video as well,,, Calm winds helped alot..The next time we go we will try for 300 yards and see what happens...

someone posted a story about shooting frozen turkeys wrapped in flannel shirts and gettin hits w/ full penetration @ 200+ yards. It's been awhile since I saw it though. He and his son I think. It might have been 300 yards. Somethin about 22 lethality in the title of the post I believe.
JH

My longest shoot was 3 weeks ago.

Steel plate 55x65 cm at 385 m

DSC_2763.jpg

You can see the white plate at the end of the lake, dx corner

DSC_2764.jpg

Anschutz 1417 G classic, Falcon 4-14x42 FFP, Winchester Subsonic Round Nose Ammo

DSC_2768modified.jpg

two groups, five shoots each one

Wow I feel like I have just nicked the surface of .22lr long range shooting with all these reports. On a good day I can hit a 12x12 steel plate every shot at 200m with my 77/22.

life size steel p-dog @ 365 yds . hit about 1 of every ten shots . needed 75 moa of elev , and 12 windage , iirc. savage btvs 16 1/4 " barrel lupy mk4 . win bulk ammo

Doing some shoting at clay bird sitting on berms at 200m, 300m
and 385y 426y.
Rifle 10-22 with green mountian barrel 20min base, burris signature rings with 20min worth of inserts.
Ammo CCI blazers unsorted.
Birds are pretty easy to break at 200 after scope adjustment, 2-4 shots per bird.
At 300 more like 6 or more average to finally luck out and hit a bird.
385 is about the limit of the scope adjustment more like 20 shots to hit a bird average.
At 426 1 bird got broken sometime after 50 rounds were fired.
Off the rimfire topic, with .22-250, 75 gr amax @3250 those same birds are about 2hits for 5shots at 426 yards.
All this shooting had variable crosswind in the less than 10 mph range

Very impressive. The bullet is dropping like a rock past 250. It takes some pretty good marksmanship to hit anything consistently past this range. A few of my buddies were shooting a 18" plate at 240 yards about a month ago. We were all shooting autos (mainly 10/22s) off bipods. You could shoot 5 shots real fast and then there was a slight delay followed by 5 "dings". Its not as impressive as making a 1000 yard shot, but it sure was fun.