• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is the maximum magnification you use in a match? (Poll)

What is the maximum magnification you actually use shooting targets during a match?

• 14X

• 16X

• 18X

• 20X

• 22X

• 24X

• 26X

• 28X

• 30X

• 35X

Results are only viewable after voting.

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
It is often said, people use 15x-18x all match long, due to wobble and needing enough field of view to stay on target. I would like to know what is the maximum magnification YOU FIND USEFUL during a PRS, NRL or steel target style match. Please exclude the times you use your scope as a spotter, that’s not what I am asking about. I want to know, when you are behind the gun, on target, do you even occasionally go up to 30x? 35x? Whatever that number is, please place a vote.

I voted 16x but 90% of the time I'd say 12x. NRL Hunter, so 1000 yard max.

I'll use mid 20s on a KYL rack or very ssmall targets from a sturdy position.
But generally 12-16 is where I'll be.

I quite like 8x but many reticles are a bit too thin to be practical.

Im done with matches but when I did shoot them, I was usually between 15-18x, never above 20x.

This was for PRS and Field shooting events.

I sit typically between 15-18 average depending on target size and if they tend to blend in to the background. Shooting the last stage after the previous 6 squads had their go on targets setting in dead grass gets hard to see for me lol. Tyl I’ll crank it up if I don’t have wide transitions.

I’m looking for the max useful magnification, not the sweet spot where you spend 50+% of your time. With all the high dollar scopes 5-25x, 5-30x, 6-36x, 7-35x and beyond, I’m just curious how many people find the upper range useful. Also, as scopes get better, am curious if shooters start finding higher magnification useful in even limited situations. So far it sounds like most people still use below 20x all the time. I would edit the poll if I could, to add choices below 14x, but I don’t see a way to do it.

Reactions: simonp
I’m looking for the max useful magnification, not the sweet spot where you spend 50+% of your time. With all the high dollar scopes 5-25x, 5-30x, 6-36x, 7-35x and beyond, I’m just curious how many people find the upper range useful. Also, as scopes get better, am curious if shooters start finding higher magnification useful in even limited situations. So far it sounds like most people still use below 20x all the time. I would edit the poll if I could, to add choices below 14x, but I don’t see a way to do it.
I think “useful” is going to depend on a lot of variables that may include shooters eye acuity, glass quality, environmental conditions, target size , shooting discipline etc etc. It may be hard to nail down exactly the answer you’re looking for tbh. Nonetheless it was a solid thread

Reactions: NewsShooter
F Class in my case. 16X at 1K yards when I’m on the glass. 10 to 12X at 600 yards. I just generically checked 16X.
Since the question was directed at PRS, NRL and steel shooters, I wasn't going to answer. Until I saw your answer.

So, you shoot in F-class at 1000 yards with 16X magnification, and 600 yards @ 10-12X? Wow. How can you even see the rings and hold on them at that magnification?

I have not seen anyone at any F-class match, which I have attended in the last 10 years use that low a magnification. Everyone I know of, will be running some type of riflescope that provides a minimum of 35X, usually more, and most times much more.

I run at 80X all the time now, for the last 8-9 months. That's at 600 and 1000 yards.

So, if I were to vote here, I would tick 80X, but it's not listed. Talk about vote suppression.

I run my spotting scope at 35X.

Leupold mk5 5-25

support side shooting, moving targets: 12-15x
multiple positions/ targets: 12-15x
single target no position change: 20x
Sounds right for rimfire matches too. The exception are close KYL racks shot prone. Then I'll use whatever the max on the scope is

M

Very usefull. Not only is the optical sweet spot closer to the center of the range, you can dial up if conditions allow.

Most of my time in PRS I am between 20-22X. Unless the mirage is wicked I don't go below that. It helps make out detail on plate and see where your shot goes. For KYL or really long prone stages I may go up to 30X or so to get more detail.

Something you will find as you get to better shooters, they shoot on higher magnification. Target location is no longer an issue which is the main reason newer/bad shooters shoot on lower power, because they cannot locate a target with their eyes and put the gun down on it.

With really good glass (TT, ZCO, G3 Razor, Minox, ect) you can shoot on higher power and keep the IQ/detail.

You'll find magnification is like dialing wind. Better shooters have been doing it for years, but rarely mention it because they get crucified on forums for not saying they "never shoot over 18x" or whatever the majority of shooters say.

One of the funniest moments at a local match here, one of the better shooters who has two day wins picked up someone's rifle for whatever reason and looked through the optic. It was set around 15x and his comment was "no wonder you guy's can't see your misses." There's obviously plenty using lower powered, but most people would be pretty surprised how high top pack shooters run their magnification.

So another factor to consider is that most people at PRS matches don't have 36x scopes yet. Just a couple years ago 25-27x was the vast majority and still is but the trend is moving to more magnification.

I'm getting older and really appreciate more magnification, you all will if you live long enough! I am running G3s and spend most of my time on 22x and up. On KYL racks or a stage with no big left or right transition I run near max or max.

One thing that's really helped me is really focusing on target location while I'm spotting before my turn to shoot. I know exactly where it is long before I pull the trigger.

You'll find magnification is like dialing wind. Better shooters have been doing it for years, but rarely mention it because they get crucified on forums for not saying they "never shoot over 18x" or whatever the majority of shooters say.

One of the funniest moments at a local match here, one of the better shooters who has two day wins picked up someone's rifle for whatever reason and looked through the optic. It was set around 15x and his comment was "no wonder you guy's can't see your misses." There's obviously plenty using lower powered, but most people would be pretty surprised how high top pack shooters run their magnification.

I think a big part of it is how stable your position is and your ability to manage recoil (and all the factors there).

A newer shooter, shooting a 14lb 6.5 Creedmoor that doesn't have much experience building solid positions on the clock, is probably better served at ~15x.

The better and more experienced shooters who know how to build stable positions on the clock with their 26lb 6BR's also know when they can get away with 20-25x versus 15x.

Higher magnification levels will obviously give you more illumination to what's happening downrange - but you need to know when you can and can't get away with it. And I think a lot of that comes with experience.

I'm not a stud PRS shooter, I barely shoot PRS anymore. Last match I shot the entire thing on 16x, didn't think about magnification once. It kept stage management simple, but in hindsight there was a couple of stages that I wish I would've used a bit higher power.

Today, I have no desire compete in anything.
But, many years ago, and with good eyesight, I used 10X, for all shooting out to 1400yds, and it wasn't a handicap, but generally a positive. Get on target to spot your hits, or make corrections, less distortion from heat waves.
Still capable of hitting small targets, and shooting good groups.
Eyesight is the key for me, but I have lost that advantage. These days and need all the help I can get.

I submit that some of the magnification discussion is going to be based on reticle thickness which drives reticle usability in specific environments at specific magnification ranges.

In the two courses I have attended and the two PRS matches I have shot, all of which occurred in well lit and bright-ish background environments, I have stayed at 12x out of a total of 25x available the majority of the time using a U.S. Optics MPR reticle.

I recently purchased a Leupold MK5 5-25x56mm with the .1 MRAD thick illuminated TMR reticle. Due to this reticle being over twice the thickness of my U.S. Optics MPR reticle, I assess, though have not validated, that I can run the Leupold at 9x in a dynamic shooting environment and still use the wind holds. (In a static shooting environment, i.e. shooting prone, I assess I can use the wind holds at 5x in the Leupold). If I can get away with using 9x in a PRS match I will, as it makes my perceived wobble zone smaller which builds my confidence when shooting.

To me, a Rifleman’s Reticle and a Competitor’s Reticle are two different things.

I hope this helps.

-Stan

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcarpenter223