• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is the MOA for this tapered scope base?

amtmn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2002
Texas
Hello Hide members. Im ordering a trajectory knob from Kenton Industries. On the order form it asks for the MOA if you have a tapered scope base.

I have this one

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=364019

and its described as having one quarter of a "degree" of forward cant. Ive had it attached to my rifle for a long time and cant remember if the packaging ever told me what it was in MOA. The description now gives it in degrees. My delimna is that I dont know how many MOA is equal to a quarter of a degree.

For all you math wizards out there, how many MOA is in a quarter degree so I can fill out my form properly and have a nice trajectory knob?

Thanks in advance.

Re: What is the MOA for this tapered scope base?

They say 15.6 MOA but it ain't. The one I have is closer to 12 moa, based on my findings. Mines on a old Rem 700 in 06 with a 3.5x10 VerixIII

You can shim the rear an bed it to your weapon, to get what you want. We did this back when, with the RedField Jr. bases before all the Tacticool stuff was made.

I shimmed an bedded mine so theres only 2 moa of down left, that way I can't get lost with the stoney points. She's my oldest reacher, cheap but gets the job done, very well.

If you do yours that way, center the windage retical in a mirror, an use the base windage to correct your 100yd zero with, that way you get all the scopes, up.

There are 60 minutes in a degree. Thus a quarter of a degree is 15 MOA. Whether that base is 15 MOA is another matter.

Let me run one more thing past you guys since Ive been out of long range shooting for a couple of years, and Im a little rusty on a few things.

Im filling out the order form for Kenton for the personal field data.

http://www.kentonindustries.com/orderForm/?item=elevation3

I know my elevation because Ive shot the rifle to 1000 yds several times and confirmed it that way. (seems like some of the blanks on the top of the form are irrelevant since they are not computing anything for you)

The way I see it the tapered base allows you to zero in the lower adjustments of the scope and gives you more elevation adjustments for the longer ranges.

So since Ive already confirmed the elevation by shooting it at those long ranges and my elevation is confirmed, does the amount of MOA of the base, whether its 15, 15.6, or 12 on the really matter? Im not changing anything out except an elevation knob.

I mean, after all Kenton is just replacing a target knob and Im basically telling them where to engrave the yardages, which are at the same place (click-wise). There are just printing it on a new knob.

This is what Im thinking and if you guys would look over what Im saying and tell me if Im right or wrong Id appreciate it.

Thanks again. My friend and I are trying to go to the Tigervalley sniper event in Sept, and I want to get my rifle up to speed.

I looked over the website and the other 2 order forms have the same top portion but not the bottom.

I think they use the same top form for all of them and some of the information is irrelevant as it pertains to submitting one with confirmed data.

Basically, it looks like I overthought things and confused myself.

But if theres anything I need to be cleared up on, Im all ears.

Thanks so much Lindy. Like I said Ive been away from this game for about 3 years, so Im rusty.

I love the Hide because I can get great information from knowledgable people.

I got into this several years back out of curiosity. I knew absolute zero about this sport and the end result was I became a long range shooter, rifle modifier and handloader.

I credit it all to the Hide because the folks here got me where I am today.

Thanks again everyone.