• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the most versatile twist rate for .308?

kalashnikev

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2009
Let me begin by saying that I've already used the search.

I was wanting to get the board's opinion of what the most ideal twist rate would be for a .308 rifle?

I know the AAC-SD is hot right now with it's 1/10 twist, which is better suited to the heavier bullets and with greater capability at range... but how does it handle 168?

Is the 1/12 that much better for stabilizing 168 gr?

Does the 1/10 handle both 168 and 175 better?

Knowing that what we're truly measuring is projectile length, are there lighter bullets that perform well in 1/10?

I'm not going to own several precision bolt guns, and I'm probably not going to be changing a lot of things, but right now I'm torn between the 700P and the AAC-SD.

Re: What is the most versatile twist rate for .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the most versatile twist rate for .308?</div></div>

1 in 10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the 1/10 handle both 168 and 175 better?</div></div>

Yes

1:10 will stabilize up to 210gr maximum in .308. According to Sierra's info.

My 10FP with 1:10 is a beast with 168's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the most versatile twist rate for .308?</div></div>

1 in 10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the 1/10 handle both 168 and 175 better?</div></div>

Yes

</div></div>

^this, and there isn't much reason to get anything else
laugh.gif
except maybe an 8 or 9 if you plan to shoot SS.

I'll take 1-12 any day for 308.I see no reason to over stabalize.Accuracy International,Sako TRG,USMC all use 1-12 without issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll take 1-12 any day for 308.I see no reason to over stabalize.Accuracy International,<span style="color: #009900">Sako TRG</span>,USMC all use 1-12 without issue. </div></div>

FYI.
Sako TRG .308 uses a 1-11 twist.
SScott

My 700P isn't anything to write home about. Unless you can one for LE pricing or great deal I wouldnt buy one. Accuracy is too flighty. Stock isn't anything special.

What are you using it for?
Short range work?
Shooting subsonics?

A big chunk of what you are payin for in the 700P is the $325+ stock that leaves much to be desired. I'd go with the AAC.

1/12 will handle most off the shelf rounds with no issues unless you are shooting 220gr subsonics. My 5r 11.25" twist....keyholes 210gr Berger subsonics. You get my drift.

My Savage 10FP (1:10) can't group the 308 Win. Super-X Power-Point 180g.

I'm talking 5" at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Savage 10FP (1:10) can't group the 308 Win. Super-X Power-Point 180g.

</div></div>

Yet again the inherent problems with mass produced weapons and ammunition for that matter. But focusing on mass produced factory guns, it's a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Savage 10FP (1:10) can't group the 308 Win. Super-X Power-Point 180g.

</div></div>

I bought a box of that stuff during the mad-days post election, thought I might as well, because it was only $15 at a gun show. I've now fired 4 groups of 5 of it: One group through my Savage 10 (1:10), a group with my DPMS SASS (1:10), a groupd through an FN SPR A3G 1:12), and a group through a buddy's GAP (1:11.25), and I've never seen it do better than 3 MOA. 5 MOA sounds totally possible with that garbage.

All that said, to answer the question about "versatility", the answer is clearly 1:10. It is the "most verstaile" twist for a 308 Win. However, as mentioned, 1:12 is no slouch. If your'e NEVER going to shoot really heavy bullets (like 208+), 1:12 is really a better option because you get better velocity from less twist, and you get less spin drift. Another little-known advantage to LESS twist, is the induced shift by canting your rifle. An over-stabilized bullet will still be accurate, but is affected more by a canted rifle.

So: there is no one "best" twist rate for a 308. But, the most versatile is definitively 1:10.

Cant go wrong with either one but after using both I'm really starting to like the 1:12 tight bore the most. Look on bergers website they list the recomended twists per bullet, they say to use a 1:11 for the 210grn and a 1:12 for the 185grn.

The guys at Sako told me that they felt the 1:11 twist to be the most versatile, they wanted a twist that would enable a it to utilize urban specialty police ammo to heavy subsonic ammo. That being said I have had no problems shooting 155 to 190s in mine. I load primarily 175s as that is what all my other rifles like.

Reactions: blakem

10 twist will shoot any bullet you want in the .308. I wouldn't screw on a barrel that is slower than 11 twist unless you plan on shooting straight palma 155s.

I just sold a R700 with a 1:12 twist Krieger on it. It shot everything up to the lenght of a 175gr SMK. It pretty much choked on the 178gr A-Max. Either it just didn't like it or I just hadn't found the right load.

The rifle that I'm shooting now has a 1:10 twist Krieger on it and it shoots everything from 155 Palma SMKs to the 178 A-Maxes very well.

As for your choice of rifle, I really don't ruffle any feathers, but I've been down the road you're on. I'd say, either get a cheap rifle and upgrade it as money allows or just have one built. I wouldn't pay anything approaching $1K for a stock Remington.

I know that they shoot well, but the fact of the matter is that, these days, lots of rifles shoot well. My reasons for this opinion are:

1. The stock barrel sucks. It is a straight shooter, but it still suffers from a rough bore like any other stock barrel. The chamber is fat and the throat long. Does some research here and take a look at how long some guys are loading their rounds just to get to the lands of a stock 700. What all of this means is that you're going to be spending time cleaning out copper fouling and you'll get lower velocities due to the chamber.

2. The stock may or may not suck. If you get one with a Hogue stock, you may or may not be able to live with it. Many choose to upgrade pretty quickly, but it is serviceable. If you get a model with an HS Precision stock, well...I don't know what to say. I don't want to get overly long winded on this, but I really don't know how it is that HSP has gotten the fine reputation that they have. On the ones that I've worked on, I found that you HAVE to bed the recoil lug because the bedding block doesn't even come close to contacting the recoil lug. I've also noticed that there is a lot of overspray so that a lot of the rear tang is actually riding on overspray rather than aluminum. The palm swell is also large. Really large. You may or may not like it. I know that I thought that I had gotten used to it, but my shooting got better when I switched to a Bell & Carlson M40 stock, which oddly enough, seemed to be better built to me.

So, if you're out to spend a good chunck of change on a rifle, I'd suggest another route.

First, find yourself an action. Brownell's has a short action Remington 700 receiver with bolt, safety and X-Mark Pro trigger for $369.

Second, get either an HS Precision or Bell & Carlson stock for around $200.

Third, find a used bottom metal for around $60 or just go for broke and get yourself a nice DBM setup.

Fourth, get yourself a Krieger 1:10 twist stainless barrel for around $300.

Fifth, give it to a good smith to put it all together.

You spend a little more going this route and it takes a little more time, but you will truly get what you pay for.

This is how my current rifle was put together and it makes me look good, when I shoot it. I now have a solid semi custom rifle that I can shoot until my heart is content on any given day or weekend without having to worry about copper fouling or POI shift and I get the benefit of the chamber being cut the way that I wanted it. On mine, I can load a 175gr SMK to the spec'd 2.8" OAL and the projectile is 10/1000ths in the lands. This rifle shoots really small groups so consistently that I don't even bother worrying about that aspect any longer.

Of course, I'm not saying that Krieger is the only game in town. It's just what I like, but there are others that are of the same quality.

My Savage PC with a 10 twist is great, it will shoot 130gr hunting bullets around .5 moa and is always .5 moa or better with 175 or 180gr smk.

I would buy Bryan Litz's Applied Ballistic second volume. It has stability factors for various bullets under various conditions and various twist rates. You pay for overtwist in terms of accuracy. All bullets have imperfections and the faster they are spinning, the more those twist rates impact accuracy.

In terms of versatility, 1:11" will stabilize everything up to SMK 200's and Berger 190's, where stability is marginal. If you have any plans to shoot flat-based bullets, then 1:10" is overtwist for all flat-based bullets I have found. However, if you don't care about flat-based bullets, 1:10" will stabilize heavier bullets (200+ gr) in almost all situations, but it is probably sub-optimal for 155 grainers.

In other words, there are tradeoffs with whatever you do. 1:12" will give you the least versatility. It will have difficulty stabilizing most bullets above 175 gr, but it should do a great job with 175's in most cases as well as anything lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 700P isn't anything to write home about. Unless you can one for LE pricing or great deal I wouldnt buy one. Accuracy is too flighty. Stock isn't anything special.

What are you using it for?
Short range work?
Shooting subsonics?

A big chunk of what you are payin for in the 700P is the $325+ stock that leaves much to be desired. I'd go with the AAC.

1/12 will handle most off the shelf rounds with no issues unless you are shooting 220gr subsonics. My 5r 11.25" twist....keyholes 210gr Berger subsonics. You get my drift. </div></div>

I agree that the 700P is nothing special, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock. It is a good stock, it is not for everyone.

FWIW, I chose NOT to by a 700P, not becasue of the stock, but because it is nothing more than an SPS varmint rifle with a different finish in an HS stock.
It just was not worth the 870 bucks (to me).

I went a a 5r, yes the stock is ALMOST the same, suits me fine. Shoots VERY well and has the 1-11.25 twist.

I considered the AAC-SD model, but have not found any in depth reviews of accuracy and have read several stories of less than stellar attention to detail. I also considered that since I would upgrade the stock (a must on these rifles) that my cost would be very near that of the 5R (within about 150 bucks).

I have seen several reports of the standard 1-12" SPS tactical models being very good shooters, but once again, when you add in the stock upgrade, you are very near the 5R price.

FWIW, the Winshester Stealth is a 1-10" twist 26" barrel .308 in a B&C stock. They can be had from Buds for about 750. Uses the excellent FN action.

Ive got a 1-10twist and it shoots the 155SMK really good. I want to try the 208AMAXS soon.

+1 for the 5R. I didn't like the stock, so I switched it out for a ACIS. Shot at Thunder Valley Precision last week using 175 FGMM and got consistent hits out to 1200 yrds.

Lots of great information. I kinda had the same question. I shoot a 1/12 and it groups 168s and 175s the same at 100. Guess I'll just have to try to take it out further to see what it likes...

1-12 will do fine but if you can get a 1-10 get it. It will be better for heavier bullets.

10 if you never plan to shoot subsonic. 8 if you want to shoot both. 5 if you only plan to shoot subsonic.

I'm utterly confused as to why there is this continuing mistaken belief that rifling rate has a significant bearing on accuracy.

Once the bullet is properly stabilized, or even spun slightly faster than it's "ideal" rotational velocity, twist rate has little influence on accuracy.

There are other barrel dimensional qualities that have a FAR higher influence on accuracy. Things as the variation in land and groove diameter over the length of the barrel. The surface roughness of the throat and bore. The concentricity of the chamber/throat/bore/crown.

Saying "x twist rate is most accurate with Y grain bullets" means about as much as "I like orange juice".

Now I'll admit I'm very slow on the up take but,

I've a 12 twist that does everything I need. Gets past 1300 yds with 175 smks in Bama, throw's 180 an 220gr Sierra ProHunters past 250yds just fine while starting out at 1075fps.

Putting bullets down range and into things, will remove internet perception about how you need "X" to preform "Y" task.

Wow... lots of great advice on this thread, this is stickyworthy IMO!

It sounds like I should look at 1/10 or 1/11. Also, and I hope this doesn't make me sound like a person "outside the discipline," but I don't have the time or space to reload. I'd like to have something on hand that can print GMM tight and I know that 175 is more expensive than 168, which would lead to less trigger time.

That being said, my job takes me to the desert southwest a few times a year and I may be able to go long (something not everyone is lucky enough to have access to) and would want to do 175 with good performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Putting bullets down range and into things, will remove internet perception about how you need "X" to preform "Y" task.</div></div>

Agree completely, but I didn't ask about "Y" task... I want to do tasks "A-Z" hence the need for a versatile twist.

i think what you should take from this thread is that it doesnt really matter. there are guys that are shooting everything just fine. you need to find ammo that your gun likes the best. maybe you shouldnt be looking for a versatile twist rate, but a versitile bullet for the things that you want to do.

just my two pennies...

1-10 is the slowest I'd ever go. Why go slower? You're just limiting yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 if you never plan to shoot subsonic. 8 if you want to shoot both. 5 if you only plan to shoot subsonic. </div></div>

So a 1-10 twist will not stabilize subsonic? Thinking of getting a supressor soon and would like the option of shooting subsonic... Was going to get the R700 aac but now I am not sure?

What the fuk???

A 1/10 twist will shoot 155, 168, 175, 220

I vote 1/10

Subs 220

Any twist faster out of a 308 would
Be closer to a strictly subsonic rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-10 is the slowest I'd ever go. Why go slower? You're just limiting yourself. </div></div>

The slowest? 1/10 is pretty fast twist for a 308. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cuban Croc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1-10 is the slowest I'd ever go. Why go slower? You're just limiting yourself. </div></div>

The slowest? 1/10 is pretty fast twist for a 308. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
</div></div>
1:10 is about the fastest you're going to find on a production rifle, 1:12 is about the slowest.

If the thing is only going to shoot subsonic, then a 1:5 twist might make sense. I don't own a can, but 2400fps with 1:10 yeilds 173,000RPM and 1200fps with 1:5 would yield 173,000RPM as well. But good god if you ever fired a non-subsonic out of that thing....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 if you never plan to shoot subsonic. 8 if you want to shoot both. 5 if you only plan to shoot subsonic. </div></div>

not sure if this guys comment make the most since..........

I guess my 1-10 twist .308 defies the laws of ballistics down here in Texas. I shoot 1-1.5" groups all day long running 220grn RN at 1050

1-10 may not be the most versatile according to some scholars, but all my .308s have it and I run 155's at 2860 and 220 at 1050. It has spun 168 and 175 with pleasure and with deadly results.

I've had 14.5, 12, 10" per rotation twists.

The one turn in 10" of barrel twist rate seems the most versatile for my shooting. No subsonics for me.

I dont flirt with the last FPS that some bullets need if you run a slower twist barrel so I have lower chamber pressures and less worry when its 100 and WHAT outside.

A little study on reloading can get most any supersonic projectile accurately downrange out of a 12 to 10 twist rate. There are so many variables on how far downrange that can be sustained that are more limiting I believe.