• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the Ogive length on Match .308 w/ 175s

JasonB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2007
Manteca, California
For Factory Ammo ... Federal / BH / SW Ammo etc etc...

Reason I ask is my GAP10 has a Ogive length of 2.164 with 175smks which is a OAL of 2.74 when seat at 2.140 (.024 off the lands )

My reloading manual calls for a OAL of 2.800 on 175smks but that would put me way too deep

I just dont want to buy factory ammo and be jammed into the lands.

Re: What is the Ogive length on Match .308 w/ 175s

I got an average of 2.225 for FGMM 7.62x51mm 175gr

I just had my barrel replaced and the 175's hit the lands right at 2.790 ....I was surprised too!

My chamber is so short if you try to remove a FGMM175 it will pull the bullet. Accurate but kind of a pain.

That ain't worth a crap! I had one of the gunsmiths who frequent this site a lot build me a 308. Told him to set rifle up for FGGM 175gr's. Wanted them to be .010 off the lands. Rifle arrived, FGGM would jam in the lands, and you could not extract them. Shot like a bench gun though. Sent rifle back and he throated it to my instructions. He used a Palma 95 Match reamer to start with. Maybe it was designed for the 168's?

To the OP: That short throat warrants a call to GAP. At least ask about it. Can you extract cases without pulling the bullet? I remember someone on the crew over there saying they ha d a short reamer for a while, but I could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. He used a Palma 95 Match reamer to start with. Maybe it was designed for the 168's? </div></div>

That would be throated for 155's.