• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the origin of National Match "NM" Garand & M-14 rifle parts?

Bangarang

NRA Life Member
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2013
NH
As far as I know these parts were made by Springfield Armory (the original one?) Is that correct?

Were they the only provider of "NM" parts, or have there been other "knock-off" parts made/sold? (My DCM, now CMP Garand came with an NM op rod, and 30 years ago I bought some very nice NM sights via some dealer in Shotgun News.)

Is this where DCM / CMP got their NM parts?

Besides M-1 op rods, M1 & M-14 front & rear sights, were there any other NM parts offered?

Inquiring minds want to know? B

Remington produced NM M1 operating rods. SA also made NM barrels. The DCM received parts from the Ordnance Department that were surplus to Government needs.

Many NM parts were used in the M1 rifle rebuild program (standard infantry rifles) that began in earnest in 1946 and ended in 1970. M14 NM parts would have left the ordnance supply system in the same fashion as M1 components.

PS...Were standard/used/refinished components spuriously marked NM? Absolutely. Know your subject matter and let the buyer beware.

Last edited:
Some parts of the NM M14s were produced by the Springfield armory, but MOST were produced in house by armors at the Marksmanship Unit level. The rear sight is nothing more then twice as many TPI giving it the 1/2 in vs 1 inch lateral movement. The elevation change was obtained buy using a hood in the sight which turned 180 degrees would move 1/2 min. So when you needed to come up one half inch, you simply clicked 1 inch up, and turned the notched hood down. A round op spring guide was made at user shops. The flash hider wad modified by a #7 tapered reamer in shop. The front sight was tapered toward the front. The gas system was hand picked from existing parts.

Match barrels (4 grove) were produced by armories, and Match 6 grove barrels were purchased commercially. Stock work was done buy user armors. Epoxy impregnated and bedded.

If interested PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the USAMU M14 (M1A) Accurization guide in .pdf format.

Craig,
Great informative post.
Question, Were all NM rear sights made with small aperture? Will the larger aperture leg fit the NM sight? I cannot get mine to accept the large aperture leg. Tiny one is simply too small for field use. Suggestions?
Thanks
RTH

There were two NM rear sights that I'm aware of, the 495 and 520. I started out with the 520 switching to the 495 finding my eyes weren't as good as I thought. Same with the front post, some people like thin post, I like the one that's the same width as the bull when you look through them.

Craig,
Thanks! Will the battle sight aperture fit in the NM base or will I need to change the entire sight? I have plenty of parts, I prefer the finer adjustments.

On the m14/m1a the receiver is the sight base. Unscrew the windage/elevation screw to replace the elevation peep. The difference for windage requires a different screw (double the treads per inch)

In Garand and M14/M1A NM sights the elevation/pinion knob is a standard knob but the base ,aperture and windage knob is different. The windage knob and base has finer 64 TPI threads . The earlier NM sights had the non hooded aperture later hooded, aperture sizes 0595" and .0520

Heres a pic of a DOD Ink Stamp on a Garand NM Gas Cylinder. You dont see the ink stamps often as they usually get worn away

Last edited: