• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what is the ultimate long range cartridge

chardy04

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Houston, TX
hmmm what is the ultimate long range rifle???? I would like to hear your take in this question.... like 700-1000 yards!!!

Re: what is the ultimate long range cartridge

What will be its intended purpose, hunting (what game), paper and steel, safe queen with bragging rights?

700 to 1000 is pretty conservative for some <span style="font-weight: bold">systems</span> currently available. The 408 CheyTac and 416 Barrett are both capable of hits on man size targets at ranges of 2500 meters or more. The key word here is "System", at those ranges you don't just do the math in your head and take the shot. You need a specifically designed combination of rifle, cartridge, and ballistics computer that all work together as flawlessly as possible to achieve consistent accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... not to mention somebody driving the rifle that knows their shit. </div></div>

...who can read the wind...

How are you defining ultimate? Accuracy alone? other factors include cost to shoot, component availability, barrel life, recoil, load flexability, load sensitivity, and probably some others.

The .260 rem is a nice balance. .308 is time tested and versatile.

There really isn't an "ultimate".

It's all a matter of trade-offs.

Define the mission. Select the equipment accordingly. Make sure the operator has the required skill and training.

If your definition of long range ends at 1000, a .308 is tough to beat as a well rounded option.

It offers the best ballance of availability, known dope, cost, barrel life, terminal effect, etc.

There are more accurate calibers, there are faster, there are harder hitters, etc. But for everything you gain, you also can loose something.

In todays world, 700-1000 really is not even considered an exreme range anymore. It all boils down to what you want to use it for.

Just taking your original question of "what is the ultimate long range cartridge" though, I would have to answer that the 375 CheyTac is the king for now (but that does not take into account the conservative ranges you stated).

375 CT is a contender for reliable 3000+ yards hits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one that can hit what you aim at every time.</div></div>

Of course, since the bullet always goes in the direction the bore's pointed, distance is moot until the bullet becomes unstable. With this understanding, I wonder what bullet, given the proper attitude, goes the farthest nose-on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wonder what bullet goes the farthest nose-on. </div></div>

375 CheyTac
laugh.gif

There are lots of good choices out there, I've been shooting a 7mm SAUM that's been performing brilliantly

At 1000yds it just may be the .223rem w/90gr JLK bullet....

Seen this?
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...rksman/Winter%20Spring%202008%20Edition.pdf+J

Scroll down to page 16 and read the report by Clint Dahlstrom about 15-20rd groups at 1,000 yds which had 2.5" of vertical dispersion.

What more could you want out of 24 grains of powder? If more guys were shooting the .223 or .223AI might have to say "I'm going hitting" rather than "I'm going shooting"!

You can certainly kill paper with a 90gr bullet at 1000yd..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cody King Hardy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm what is the ultimate long range rifle???? I would like to hear your take in this question.... like 700-1000 yards!!!

</div></div>

Overall, 308 is not a bad choice. For pure paper punching, don't forget the 243 caliber also, or the 6.5, or 7 mm. again, depending on what you want. ultimate is relative. You always give something to get something. Faster round, less drop corresponds to a shorter barrel life and such.

50BMG necked down to .338 with a 32" heavy carbon wrapped barrel sitting in a Mcmillan 50BMG stock. Oh and a kick ass suppressor. USO scope of your choice.

You'll get about 1000 rounds before the barrel is probably toast but you'd be throwin 300gr SMKs at like 4,000fps???

I'll have you one made for $20,000. (I wont do anything I'll just over see the process for you.
wink.gif

I accept cash only please

.... J/k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cody King Hardy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm what is the ultimate long range rifle???? I would like to hear your take in this question.... like 700-1000 yards!!!

</div></div>

Any 6, 6.5, 7mm or 30 caliber that utilizes a respectable BC bullet (.595+) and the velocity (2,950+) to drive it. Skill behind the rifle is also a plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... as I know the current ultimate long range cartridge is the .408 Cheytac....</div></div>

The 375 is better.

Two posts, no profile, and asking questions about the ultimate already. Geez, what have you on deck to do tomorrow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two posts, no profile, and asking questions about the ultimate already. Geez, what have you on deck to do tomorrow? </div></div>

What bullet is best for my .308? lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... as I know the current ultimate long range cartridge is the .408 Cheytac....</div></div>

The 375 is better. </div></div>

Why?

That's the how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, but I'll play: My answer is "the one I hit with" and someone posted it already.
I shoot a 6.5 CM, so naturally I think the 6.5 family is a smart choice.

It would be a quality rifle with a muzzle brake in a 7wsm with a nightforce nxs on top with 180gr bergers. With this you have a fun gun to shoot that wont kick your but at all it is not a barrel burner and you can hunt and target shoot with it. Two weeks ago i shot 950 yards at a man size target and hit it with 3 shots in the center of his chest that was about a 5 inch group.

Why... are people even posting in this useless thread?

Seriously though, 1000 yards sounds like it would be really tough, so I'd probably recommend:

44Big_Bertha_2_.jpg

the Paris Gun.

</div></div>

.22lr

only because it has "long" and "rifle" in it's name

if your just going out to 1000...

I would vote for the 338 Lapua mag

We have either scared him/her off or his/her parents dont let him/her on the computer much
smirk.gif

The javelin is the ultimate badass right now. If you can get a good track gate solution, your killing it. That is if the seeker doesn't lose a track due to the target moving into cover.

Armor shake in their steal coffins when a hunter killer team is around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... as I know the current ultimate long range cartridge is the .408 Cheytac....</div></div>

The 375 is better. </div></div>

Why? </div></div>

Lots of reasons really, but it boils down to ballistics.

The 375 CT has better MV, ballistics and greater supersonic range while flirting with G1 BC's of 1+.

At 1000 yards, the drop on a 375 is under 17 MOA, the 408 is around 22 MOA. And it gets better from there. Neither of these calibers really starts to shine until you get pat 1500 or so though.

At 2600 yards, the drop on a 375 is about 78 MOA, on a 408 its about 112 MOA and is already subsonic. The 375 will remain supersonic for another 4 or 5 hundred yards.

Why is the 375CT better?

Sung to the Wizard of OZ theme song.

Because...Because...Because...Because...Because of the wonderful things it does.

30-378 weatherby gets the long distance job done pretty well. Just dont EVER take off the muzzle break. Oh and can someone donate some money to me so that I can buy another 20 rounds for this cannon.

(tear falls while adjusting bandages around head emoticon)

No really I lent this gun to my wifes uncle for a once in a lifetime Oryx hunt on White Sands Missle Range here in NM. He made a one shot kill on a 38 1/2 inch Oryx with 6 1/2 inch bases. Shot it broadside in the hind quarters from about 725 yds and we were picking up SOFTBALL SIZE pieces of hip / pelvis 50 yards from the animal. I guess it died of fright.

</div></div>
thats not really long range.

Depends on Range & target.

1500 YDS+ 50 BMG for Anti Material AI AW-50 ASW-50
1500 YDS+ 408 Chaytac M-400 for smaller targets & max penetration
1000-1500YDS .338 Lapua AI AWP 338 lapua is a fine choice
Under 1000 yards .308 there ar many fine builders TBA,GAP, chandler for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why... are people even posting in this...

</div></div>

Because it's fun. Got you here didn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about 20mm necked to 15mm </div></div>

That's similar to the 14.5x114 Russian. If you can get one in the US you'd probably clean up, they weren't imported though. Just the foggy memory talking but I remember something like a 900gr bullet around 3400 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about 20mm necked to 15mm</div></div>

I am building one right now for a new design 15.5mm solid projectile
smile.gif

Thanks

I remember when I posted a question like this.

Man did I get flamed. The word TROLL was uttered, and other niceties.

Have manners improved so much since Nobody was asked to leave?

Neil

My personal favorite: .338 Lapua

And yes, I consider it the ultimate although it is overkill for some applications
smile.gif