• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is this? .220 Swift Mauser-based custom...

Skunk

Amongst the Enemy
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2003
On gun…
Alright guys, I know some of you might really like this. Eh hem, @sirhrmechanic

I got this rifle a couple years back. It was attached to a scope found on a consignment rack in Concord, NC. A USMC SNIPER 8X Unertl was on this rifle... all for the hefty price of $1500! So, now I have this rifle and would like to know something about it.

It's some kind of Mauser action and I'm wondering if it's a commercial action as the markings don't look military to me. I've tried to capture what can be seen as it sits. Will take the rear scope block off for a better view.

It's very nicely done. Fully bedded all the way to the fore end tip. Barrel is 1.25" the whole way out. Really nice polished blue and a pretty nice piece of wood. I'm guessing it was someone's varmint or BR gun....

Pics on the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    886.6 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 260
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 285
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 276
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    897.2 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
I'd like to figure out who built this thing... That faint stamp on the top of the barrel looks like an "HC" inside a little oval.

Might as well shoot this some. It's not like we don't have plenty of jackrabbits around here. Needs a good trigger though.

Action appears to be pre war commercial action. Simpson was well regarded in that era. Like Krieghoff, Sauer, Hanel or Oberndorf.
Very good action.
Interwar commercial action. Mount hole drilled through the roll stamping.

Looks like a 1960s Varmint build. Well done. Shoot the snot out of it! I bet it’s a tack driver. 220 swift was a 4000+ FPS cartridge. Way better than 22/250 and got a Ill-deserved reputation for burning barrels.

With sane loading it far out-performs most .22 center fires on both ballistics and barrel life.

But loaded hot, nothing touches it!

Sirhr

Interwar commercial action. Mount hole drilled through the roll stamping.

Looks like a 1960s Varmint build. Well done. Shoot the snot out of it! I bet it’s a tack driver. 220 swift was a 4000+ FPS cartridge. Way better than 22/250 and got a Ill-deserved reputation for burning barrels.

With sane loading it far out-performs most .22 center fires on both ballistics and barrel life.

But loaded hot, nothing touches it!

Sirhr
I’d love to know exactly how many Swift’s you’ve owned?
4000 fps with 40 gr slugs only ......Way better than a 22-250....ahhh no.The chronograph tells all. I shoot/ load for about a dozen varmint rifles.
With 52-55 grain slugs you’re looking at 3600-3700fps and less than 1000 rounds on a throat. My 40X 22-250 with the H2 barrel drives a 55gr sierra @3810fps over 33.5 gr 3031 with 40’s about 4100 fps and you ain’t besting that with a Swift with anything other than”blow it up “ loads. Both of them eat barrels.

OP, get somebody with a borescope for heat checking in the throat, that’s ultimately why many of them get sold.

Last edited:
4000 fps with 40 gr slugs only ......Way better than a 22-250....ahhh no.The chronograph tells all. I shoot/ load for about a dozen varmint rifles.
With 52-55 grain slugs you’re looking at 3600-3700fps and less than 1000 rounds on a throat. My 40X 22-250 with the H2 barrel drives a 55gr sierra @3810fps over 33.5 gr 3031 with 40’s about 4100 fps and you ain’t besting that with a Swift with anything other than”blow it up “ loads. Both of them eat barrels.

OP, get somebody with a borescope for heat checking in the throat, that’s ultimately why many of them get sold.
So the quantity of rifles owned makes one an expert?

The reason many were sold was that exact misconception. Most were simply the victims of hard powder fouling. They will eventually burn throats, but no sooner than a 22-250.

I have a custom Rem 700 220 Swift. It loves 43 grains of H380 and 40 gr Vmax. I have well over 1k rounds and it still shoots 1/2 inch groups. I used it along with a Rem 700 in 22-250 in eastern Oregon on alfalfa pivots shooting rats. I chronographed it 4000 fps. No signs of pressure etc. I am very careful not to get it too hot and I always cleaned it in the field when shooting and would return it to service. I switched between the 2 rifles. Great caliber!

Edit: I just checked my notes and it was 44 gr of H380.

Last edited:
My only .220 Swift. Pre-64 Winchester. About 1,000 rounds through it. But I don't push 4,000 FPS, even though capable.
1610761500446.png

Used to wear a Unertl Varmint, but a friend had to have that scope and I have not re-scoped it yet. I want another Unertl Varmint... But they have gotten spendy! My Model 52 Target has a Litschert sport-spot which I love. But the bases are much further apart on the 52.

1610762605914.png

Made in 1950... when the Rifleman's Rifle was still king!

And just in case anyone is wondering if I have any experience in high-velocities, here's the .14 Eichelberger I built on a PacNor barrel and a Tikka Action. KRG Stock and US Optics scope with a Sphur mount and Atlas bipod. All built with input from some great friends here on SH! 12 grain bullet at 4200 +- fps. Pardon the lousy photo. I think there is a thread about it somewhere here.

1610762605317.png

Of course, this doesn't begin to touch some of the stuff we built at GD with multiple-stepped charges and hyper velocity projectiles pushing 10K FPS...

Meh, what do I know. I only have one .220 Swift.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Attachments

• 1610762166807.png
    1610762166807.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Well, I haven't been able to find any ammo, so it may be awhile before I get to mess with it much.

But yeah, I bought a $5K scope for $1500 and got this rifle that was attached....
You want a few rounds? I just got a bunch of brass and it included some factory rounds that I'll just burn to get the brass. Glad to send you some! PM me!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Bought my first 220 Swift in 1973 in a Ruger M77. Great rifle but sold it in college when I needed some money and regretted doing so ever since. A number of years ago I picked up a No. 1V in same caliber and eventually wore out the barrel. Robert Gradous rebarreled it with Krieger and had custom mounts made by D'Arcy Echols. It was one of Robert's last builds and did a beautiful job.

Bought my first 220 Swift in 1973 in a Ruger M77. Great rifle but sold it in college when I needed some money and regretted doing so ever since. A number of years ago I picked up a No. 1V in same caliber and eventually wore out the barrel. Robert Gradous rebarreled it with Krieger and had custom mounts made by D'Arcy Echols. It was one of Robert's last builds and did a beautiful job.
Pictures, please? Ruger no. 1's are always beautiful. That I don't have one yet is an oversight I need to correct. And a .220 would be a wonderful cartridge to have on a No. 1 platform!

Sirhr

Reactions: sandwarrior
I have a custom Rem 700 220 Swift. It loves 43 grains of H380 and 40 gr Vmax. I have well over 1k rounds and it still shoots 1/2 inch groups. I used it along with a Rem 700 in 22-250 in eastern Oregon on alfalfa pivots shooting rats. I chronographed it 4000 fps. No signs of pressure etc. I am very careful not to get it too hot and I always cleaned it in the field when shooting and would return it to service. I switched between the 2 rifles. Great caliber!

Edit: I just checked my notes and it was 44 gr of H380.
That’s my point FWIW. Anything approaching 4000 is only happening with 40’s.
So, in spite ofthe fact that it is a great old chambering, these days you have a louder 22-250, plus the 40’s fade fast and have a lousy BC.
Franky, don’t even shoot the 22CF’s any more to hunt, these days TAC20.....3900 + with 251/2 grains of powder and a 40 gr with a BC of 300.
Just about zero recoil good to about 500 yds.

If I want nostalga I’ll break out my set trigger C.C. Johnson highwall in 225.
024E5702-A14A-4EFC-AA29-50F7F71F1F94.jpeg

Last edited:
My only .220 Swift. Pre-64 Winchester. About 1,000 rounds through it. But I don't push 4,000 FPS, even though capable. View attachment 7529070

Used to wear a Unertl Varmint, but a friend had to have that scope and I have not re-scoped it yet. I want another Unertl Varmint... But they have gotten spendy! My Model 52 Target has a Litschert sport-spot which I love. But the bases are much further apart on the 52.

View attachment 7529078

Made in 1950... when the Rifleman's Rifle was still king!

And just in case anyone is wondering if I have any experience in high-velocities, here's the .14 Eichelberger I built on a PacNor barrel and a Tikka Action. KRG Stock and US Optics scope with a Sphur mount and Atlas bipod. All built with input from some great friends here on SH! 12 grain bullet at 4200 +- fps. Pardon the lousy photo. I think there is a thread about it somewhere here.

View attachment 7529077

Of course, this doesn't begin to touch some of the stuff we built at GD with multiple-stepped charges and hyper velocity projectiles pushing 10K FPS...

Meh, what do I know. I only have one .220 Swift.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I have one of the ten Coopers made in 14 Walker Hornet but I shoot the heavy 15 grainers. Get a TAC you won’t be dissapointed.

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting more velocity out of a case with less capacity? I'm assuming similar barrel lengths, and powders driving the same bullet. I own, and have owned, many 220 Swifts and 22-250s, and the only things the 22-250 does better is being sold in every gas station, isn't semi-rimmed, and has less body taper.

Hell, Hornady used to sell 40gr factory 220 ammo with 4200 fps on the box, that would cross my Chronograph averaging 4230 fps out of a Ruger M77 KVT. My 52gr ELD loads that I prairie dog with are averaging 3820 fps over my Magnetospeed. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but the Swift is the performance superior to the 22-250, although by a narrow margin.

Reactions: cornhusker86
Just a guess, but based on the time frame, mounts and looks, I'd guess that started life as a J.C. Higgins rifle, bought through Sears & Roebuck. They were made on commercial FN Mauser actions, and were fairly cheap. The bolt rails were already opened up for the short actions cartridges, so there wasn't a whole lot work that had to be done with them to turn them into varmint guns. What kinda trigger do you have on it? Canjar used to make a single set trigger that was perfect for a varmint gun...

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting more velocity out of a case with less capacity? I'm assuming similar barrel lengths, and powders driving the same bullet. I own, and have owned, many 220 Swifts and 22-250s, and the only things the 22-250 does better is being sold in every gas station, isn't semi-rimmed, and has less body taper.

Hell, Hornady used to sell 40gr factory 220 ammo with 4200 fps on the box, that would cross my Chronograph averaging 4230 fps out of a Ruger M77 KVT. My 52gr ELD loads that I prairie dog with are averaging 3820 fps over my Magnetospeed. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but the Swift is the performance superior to the 22-250, although by a narrow margin.
Well, as said with 40’s sure. They suck to hunt with.
About 3700-3800 with 52’s and with 55’s nowhere close. Part of it is, I think, you have to have a 26” bbl . Remember it’s not only about capacity but efficiency over pressure.
I have had 2 Rugers and shot a few customs...same. good buddy of mine got fed up and rechambered his HB model 70 to a 220 Wilson Arrow.
With mine I loaded every freakin thing, H380, 414, 4320, and good old 4064. One problem, might be when the Swift came, all these powders, especially the favored 4064, were faster...no more.
Like I said, Chuck shooting I want 52’s, 55’s and I gave up on a louder version of a 22-250, especially since I bought a 40X with that 27 1/4” bbl, 3815fps with 55’s, name me the Swift doing better.
I do a shitload of reloading so all of this is personal experience.
Hell my HB Ruger #1 in 22-250 drives a 55 sierra @ 3650fps.
I gave up on em mostly because they are so loud, especially in the northeast.
I shot a lot of hotrod loads with one of the first 17 Mach IV’s pushing 25’s to 4100. Still shoot a 17Ccm, 219 Zipper, R2 Lovel, the 225, but like I said after Todd Kindler came with them, mostly a couple Dakota TAC 20’s, they are absolutely lazers, both with 26” Liljas and you get to watch everything through the scope.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack.

Last edited:
Not sure what the problem with 40 gr bullets are for hunting. Unless you are trying to shoot an elk or something. The 40gr Vmax sure seems to provide lift, flip and mist when I use them for sage rats. I have shot coyotes and jack rabbits with them and seems to work awesome. Even with a 221 Fireball. The Fireball is my favorite walking jackrabbit gun in a Rem 700.

Not sure what the problem with 40 gr bullets are for hunting. Unless you are trying to shoot an elk or something. The 40gr Vmax sure seems to provide lift, flip and mist when I use them for sage rats. I have shot coyotes and jack rabbits with them and seems to work awesome. Even with a 221 Fireball. The Fireball is my favorite walking jackrabbit gun in a Rem 700.
Well, I never had much luck with them, especially in the wind....primarily for Eastern chucks, for PD’s, sure, absolutely.
The 20 cal 40 Vmax, utterly different. BC like 295 and I have shot several groups in the big .100’s with them. Devastating on chucks.
loved a .221, had a Dakota model 10 for a while. If you still have it try Calhoon 37 gr double HP’s in it Over AA1680, bet you love them.

Reactions: DuneBoer
NECG has been supplying this stuff for a long time. Paul Jaeger was one of the original sources. Triggers and Safeties | New England Custom Gun Service, Ltd. - Page 1

The 53grn. V-max has a .290BC. Out of a .223 at a little under 3200FPS I killed a coyote at 419Yds. No one is obligated to load to the max. A 220Swift at higher velocities than my .223 would be a cakewalk.

I would agree that your M98 is from the sixties based on it's stock shape. Whoever had it build had very good taste. The Pachmayer white-line butt-plate might help ID the period. Simson Suhl is not just action maker but a highly accomplished gun maker that is better known for it's shotguns and drillings than it is known for it's 1925 pattern K98s. If you search Simson Suhl 1925 Mauser model 98 you will find a wealth of info.

Looking at the pics. you've posted it appears that the stock has a shadow line cheek piece. That is a refinement that has no function other than to reveal the stockmaker's skill or the the owners good taste when he placed the order. I would be very surprised if the trigger on the rifle was not upgraded when the rifle was built into its current configuration.

I know the target in the purchase was the Unertl but you won the daily double. Along with the 8X you got an outstanding example of a 60's era varminter. Looking at the overall condition of the rifle I'd bet when you scope the leade of the barrel that it shows minimal wear. Whatever you find let us know.

Look at that stock pic again, it is actually a groove around the cheekpiece.
I cannot remember seeing that approach before but I wonder if you can call it a shadow line in a traditional sense.
None the less the overall stock seems better than average for a chuck rifle of the period.

@Skunk' acquisition is sexy as fuck.
Love the look of the stock, action, and truck axle barrel.🥰
I would buy it, then be hesitant to use it apart from range work.... am notoriously hard on my kit.
Hope it drives pills as good as it looks.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I would say it was a 'tween-war' action customized in the '50's or '60's. The stock looks like myrtl wood. Most of it came from CA. It's good stuff for stocks. Maybe not as good as walnut, but it was plentiful back in the day. The style says the same era. We didn't see a lot of that style WWII and before.

Anyhow, LOVE the rifle skunk and I hope it shoots good for ya. As far as barrel burners, I've got a 6mm-284 that's been set back twice. I've learned to download it, and in the right 'low' mode it's a tack driver. But, it still takes a lot of powder. The Swift, not too bad. Still kills barrels when loaded hot as it can be. A setback and you're back in business for a varmint gun.

Added: Here's a pic of the wood used in furniture. It's actually quite pretty:
1610930977257.png

Howdy, Boys. Sorry for the absence.

Lots of good info popping up here; I appreciate it.

As for this rifle, several things.... I think the trigger is pretty standard, military-like, two stage. Nice and smooth, not too heavy, but definitely has some travel.
The cheek of the stock does not have a line underneath (if that's what was being discussed/questioned), it has a smooth radius on the bottom where it blends back into the butt.

And, most interesting, I guess, I think I've figured out why it looks so brand new! I found a 220Swift headspace "GO" gauge and the bolt will not close on it! Definitely short in the chamber. Not sure what to make of that... Seems odd that someone would put so much work into the rifle and not make sure the headspace was just right. Or, is this an attempt to have a tight "match" chamber?

As tight as it seems to be, I have my doubts as to whether or not the bolt will close on factory ammo. I guess we shall see.

The barrel is simply marked ".220" and nothing else. I'm not missing something with the caliber, am I? Any such thing as a short version of the Swift or anything like that I might not be considering????

As for this rifle, several things.... I think the trigger is pretty standard, military-like, two stage. Nice and smooth, not too heavy, but definitely has some travel.
The cheek of the stock does not have a line underneath (if that's what was being discussed/questioned), it has a smooth radius on the bottom where it blends back into the butt.

And, most interesting, I guess, I think I've figured out why it looks so brand new! I found a 220Swift headspace "GO" gauge and the bolt will not close on it! Definitely short in the chamber. Not sure what to make of that... Seems odd that someone would put so much work into the rifle and not make sure the headspace was just right. Or, is this an attempt to have a tight "match" chamber?

As tight as it seems to be, I have my doubts as to whether or not the bolt will close on factory ammo. I guess we shall see.

The barrel is simply marked ".220" and nothing else. I'm not missing something with the caliber, am I? Any such thing as a short version of the Swift or anything like that I might not be considering????
.220 Russian? Not likely, but....🤷‍♂️ It was all the rage back in the day, before the 22PPC was the end all, be all BR/varmint round...

Might try making a casting of the chamber and measuring it.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-.../cerrosafe-chamber-casting-alloy-prod384.aspx

If it's not a Swift, it's something very similar. The bolt falls to about 60deg and stops. It doesn't have far to go to close on the gauge.

If it's not a Swift, it's something very similar. The bolt falls to about 60deg and stops. It doesn't have far to go to close on the gauge.
That sounds more like a tight/short chambered Swift. Will virgin brass chamber?

Gotta find some virgin brass/factory ammo...

I think Sirhr is gonna hook me up with some!
I wonder if it was one of those rifles where the guy had everything, but got a short-chambered barrel? All that needs doing is run the finish reamer in .050"? Possible setback as well. As noted .220 Swifts were "barrel burners". But, many people I know set them back a number of times.

C7B5D35C-3B88-4912-904C-2451E4B39727.jpeg

Well, after months of sitting on the ammo that Sirhr sent me, I finally got a day to fire this rifle.
Three 3-round groups on the two diamonds. Shoots pretty damn well!

Attachments

• 06353CDD-A0A5-48B7-8E3E-0F62A747C63F.jpeg
    06353CDD-A0A5-48B7-8E3E-0F62A747C63F.jpeg
    644.4 KB · Views: 56
  • A3F236C1-BC9F-4BE4-AE2B-12B5F53E3C5B.jpeg
    A3F236C1-BC9F-4BE4-AE2B-12B5F53E3C5B.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 63
Beautiful rifle. How does the brass look? There's a 220 Wilson Arrow, basically a 220 Swift IMP. Made a good thing even better.