• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is this M1A/M14 Stock???

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Okay,

Trying to make a long story short, a neighbor and guy whom I have done some shooting with over the years passed away about a month-and-a-half ago. His wife, being an incredible woman and a dear friend to me and my family, has been asking for my help to go through some of her husbands firearms and related items so that she can deal with his estate as well as possibly sell some of her husbands collection (items not wanted by his kids other family/friends).

This morning, she brought me something that I have ZERO idea what it is other than it is a stock for an M1A that appears to be fiberglass/paint over a wood M1A stock. There are no markings to be found anywhere on the stock. Other than it VERY VAGUELY resembling an E2 stock, I have no idea what to tell her it is or what its worth. Anybody got any ideas??? Here are some pics since I don't have much else to describe:

vzejid.jpg

259wsb6.jpg

fkznug.jpg

24vjt47.jpg

10nrn2t.jpg

Re: What is this M1A/M14 Stock???

Ugly as hell, but I think it's an M14E2 stock. Not sure about value because it's been painted. One in excellent condition might bring $500-600.

Very poorly redo of a M14e2, later to be known as M14a1 stock. If the hand guard was part of the set, I'd guess an A1 as all the E-2's I ran or seen in my day had ventilated hand guards, but on the A-1's the solids were used to stop snow, freezing rain, an ice from locking up the op rod.

It is some sort of E2 stock, you are correct.

But a couple of items that will be questioned:
1) It does not have the selector cutout in place, has it been filled in? Or did someone make this a SA stock right from the start....
2) It appears to have a standard M14 style buttplate installed, if it (is/was) a genuine M14E2 stock it would use the E2 buttplate which is totally different than a standard.
3) M14E2 stocks have a fold down stabilizer on the bottom of the forend of the stock.

You can search a couple of different places for more information, Fred's specializes in M14 stocks take a look at his website. Also Fulton Armory usually has some good pictures and info.
Lastly you can visit warrifles.com and post a picture, they have alot members who could help you.

Good Luck....

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help and your confirmations of my suspicions. I took about ten minutes to look over the stock in more detail when I got home earlier this evening and here are some additional observations (all bad unfortunately).

First off...it has the standard M1A buttplate and metal hardware...no stabilizer as is obvious from the pics.

Second...looking down the barrel channel, receiver area, and in the buttstock storage area more carefully...it is clear that this was originally a wood stock that has been epoxied/glassed and painted turd brown. The epoxy/gel coat (whatever you want to call it) was done VERY poorly (I mean any hack with half a brain and working knowledge of epoxies/bedding materials would have done a considerably better job on this thing). It is uneven as hell with several "waves"/ridges all around the stock, and has numerous other flaws including a bunch of air bubbles/pockets (clearly seen best in the pics above on the bottom of the grip area).

Finally, and this is a pure guess on my part, but I am betting by the way the stock feels and "sounds" that there is a hollow, AR-15 type grip screwed into the wood stock and then covered with duraglas (something of the sort) and then painted. There is a sizeable chip in the surface of the stock material at the base of the grip where the triggerguard snaps in place and it reveals a rather sloppy work with the material used to cover the grip/stock surface.

I believe this to be a basic wood M1A stock that someone has highly "modified" to put it nicely. It might be worth something to some strange person out there, but I am going to tell her to zero-value it and include it with the M1A her son is taking OR...if he doesn't want it, to value it at $20 (Fred's get about that for fair to decent condition surplus stocks with buttplates last I checked).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe this to be a basic wood M1A stock that someone has highly "modified" to put it nicely. It might be worth something to some strange person out there, but I am going to tell her to zero-value it and include it with the M1A her son is taking OR...if he doesn't want it, to value it at $20 (Fred's get about that for fair to decent condition surplus stocks with buttplates last I checked).</div></div>

I agree with your assessment. A price of $20 to $30 would be fair IMO.

I was about to offer $25 for it. I've had some ideas for a real hack-job project for a few years, but never got around to picking up a stock to...hack.

What's it cost to put a shipping label on it and toss it in the cargo bay of a Greyhound bus????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was about to offer $25 for it. I've had some ideas for a real hack-job project for a few years, but never got around to picking up a stock to...hack.

What's it cost to put a shipping label on it and toss it in the cargo bay of a Greyhound bus???? </div></div>

HA!! I actually returned the stock this morning to my neighbor. Her son is going to take it along with a very nice SA Loaded M1A and 35 USGI mags (I just hope he doesn't disgrace a fine M1A by placing it anywhere near the stock).
wink.gif
If anything changes on that situation...I'll let you know if you really want it.

Thanks again to all who gave their input and comments!

It's a M1A stock, no cut out in the stock for the selector switch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dj70</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a M1A stock, no cut out in the stock for the selector switch. </div></div>

That may or may not be accurate since the entire stock has been puddied up with so much crap that it easily could have been filled in. Its all academic at this point anyway.
wink.gif