• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is this on my 5R Bolt?

Dynamic Response

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
Illinois
I bought a new 700 5R 300 Win Mag and I noticed this weird flat spot on the outside of my bolt and after looking closer I seen a medal pin on the inside by the bolt face. It looks like they inserted a pin and then filed it down on the outside.

What is this for? Is this normal?

Are you sure this a new rifle?

That looks like the old-style extractor with a rivet. Remington hasn't done that in a while, at least on the smaller boltfaces (I don't have a magnum bolt handy to check it).

Also I thought all the 5R's were stainless.

Yeah it's brand new. The gun is stainless just the top of the bolt is black. No there isn't a crack that I can see.

It looks to me that the extractor is removable and its pinned in. I don't know if this is normal. It's my first 700.

The bolt isn`t stainless. It`s a riveted extractor. Looks perfectly normal. The magnums are riveted.

I'd not be happy with the bolt face not being level all the way around. If you can knock that spot down and polish it out so the bolt face is smooth and even. If you can't I'd take it to a gunsmith. I would not be happy with that at all.

The bolt face doesn't look level at all. That is disturbing. If it doesn't shoot well, I'd consider sending the bolt to a smith for truing.

Remington bolts are several pieces of metal. The rivet is normal for a 700. The bolt head is a different material than the body. I think on a magnum there are two or three pins holding it together.

If it is new i would send that POS back to Remington and let them try again on their dime not urs. Seems that bolthead would be dragging/scarring up the breach recess. Also the bottom of the bolt, where the it is black, looks like it got drug done a gravel road. Big green seems to be letting alot of garbage past QC in the last 6-8 mo.

Thats just another reason i will never run a REM action
CUSTOM
only

buy once, cry once

Bolt heads are funace brazed to the bolt body. Remington peens the extractor rivet then knocks the excess off with a belt sander. Perfectly normal. Take a fine file and knock the burr off the nose if it bothers you. Hit it with some cold blue to cover it up if you like. Nothing out of the ordinary. Funny how many people expect perfection from Remington. They haven't delivered perfection in a long long time if they ever have.

Thats just another reason i will never run a REM action
CUSTOM
only

buy once, cry once

If you only knew how many customs I have had to fix or send back to be fixed. Nothing big mind you but they are not all as perfect as you might think. I have even had a couple that couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. Don't ask who and what as the manufacturers took care of them promptly.

That looks like someone was a little over eager with the belt sander. That should be the rivet for the Remington clip style extractor. As for the rim being raised, i would be concerned about that.
My advice would be to take it to a local smith and seek professional advice as we cannot tell you it's OK in full confidence from pictures only.

Dave

Funny guys tout the customs here. My first ever custom action was the most problematic piece of junk I've ever owned. I've had much, much better luck from trued 700s than customs. Customs are accurate, but my experience is they don't run nearly as well as factory actions.

Normal or not, that looks like shit.

Apparently, Remingtons "normally" look like shit.

I understand that when you pay $400 for an all up rifle with scope from Walmart, you should expect a decent, functional rifle.

For the price of a 5R, I think you should get something nicer than that.

Normal or not, that looks like shit.

Apparently, Remingtons "normally" look like shit.

I understand that when you pay $400 for an all up rifle with scope from Walmart, you should expect a decent, functional rifle.

For the price of a 5R, I think you should get something nicer than that.

I am with Turbo on this one. That is shitty workmanship even for Remington. I would not have it on a $1000+ rifle. Last brand new R700 I bought had a chamber so bad it would not chamber a round. It cost me $39.00 to send it back and it was not in any better condition when they returned it to me. QC there is long a thing of the past.