• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What is too close to barrel???

bowtie4x4295

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2007
Prattville, ALABAMA
Or is it as long as you don't touch. Just installed my new scope and I can see light between the barrel and the scope bell, maybe big enough to slide a piece of paper. Its a M40 contour, so it's not gonna move much. I really like how it looks, just wanted to make sure I am OK and not playing with fire.

Thanks, Mike

Re: What is too close to barrel???

That's how I have my AE set up: just a sliver of daylight between the rubber scope cap and the barrel. It looks like it touches in this pic because of the angle of the pic, but it doesn't. No worries.
AE1.jpg

Well There is no way to put the cap back on the Objective end, its actually the scope and the barrel.
Thanks for the reply, and damn nice rifle.

Mike

I like enough space to put a scope cover on. But as long as it's not touching it will be OK.

Mine is too close to put the cap on, but work is slow, and I just have to deal with it.
Hard to get proper fit.

Saw a You-Tube on how much a scope flexes during firing.
Might want to check for a nick on the bottom of the tube after a couple of shots.

TC

Just get a bikini cover and roll on. I used one for many years. It works fine as long as you don't put the rifle in the case with it on.

If the scope isn't touching the barrel, it's fine.

Thats what I was getting at LoneWolf, I could give a shit less about the BC cap. Was just making sure I was good on clearence.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw a You-Tube on how much a scope flexes during firing.
Might want to check for a nick on the bottom of the tube after a couple of shots.

TC </div></div>
Can you post a link? I'd like to see that.

Can you notch the BC cap and use a couple of spots of silicone or shoe goo to keep it on?

I don't think flexing like that is typical.

It looks like the vertical movement was introduced by the rear of the base rising under recoil. Recoil forces exerted on a scope are almost always linear with the bore.

I wouldn’t think the mounting system would last too long given that kind of stress and it can’t be good for the scope either.

I have a leupold 4.5-14X50 and it is too close to the bore to use BC flip ups. I had to go with the Leupold screw in flip ups and they work very well. The scope will not flex much if at all on a .308