What is your fav steak prep/marinade?

8pointer

Major Award Winner
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    A buddy recently gave me a container of marinade and I gotta say it's unfreakingbelievable. Until now I've been lazy and low sodium Dale's has been fine for me....til now. I'll post up the ingredients when I get make the next container at his place b/c he does it by eyeballing it, pinch here, touch there, but I DO know it's brown sugar based with worcestershire and some sea salt.

Anyone have some favs they want to share post em up please.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, butter and fresh garlic. Mmmmm....
    I love garlic. Do you just put that on right b/f cooking or let it set on there a bit? Garlic is one of those things that can take over a dish if ya over do it...or at least in my hands!

Reactions: stefan73

fxdwgkd

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 9, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I only marinade flank steak.
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup honey
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    2 tbsp red wine vinegrette
    2 tbsp black pepper
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    All in a gallon freezer bag.
    Prep steak by trimming fat and every inch slicing 3/4 way through the steak against the grain. Grille med/high heat 10 min each side

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Himalayan salt only for me. If I’m going to cook it inside it’s getting cooked in butter in my cast iron pan. And the only thing that gets put on top is an egg yolk
    If I splurge on a filet or ribeye it's typically salt and pepper. Lesser cuts or a flank I always marinade or put something on it. Bought a pack of strip steaks since that's all that was left and they needed some lovin....talk to me about this egg yolk thing?

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I only marinade flank steak.
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup honey
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    2 tbsp red wine vinegrette
    2 tbsp black pepper
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    All in a gallon freezer bag.
    Prep steak by trimming fat and every inch slicing 3/4 way through the steak against the grain. Grille med/high heat 10 min each side
    this has potential doing flank this weekend thanks!

BLEE

Anti-Coexist
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jan 29, 2020
    NW Louisiana
    I love garlic. Do you just put that on right b/f cooking or let it set on there a bit? Garlic is one of those things that can take over a dish if ya over do it...or at least in my hands!
    I crush it and rub the juice and little bits into the meat. The larger pieces fall off, when the the meat is turned on the grill, preventing the problem of having too much. Sometimes, depending on the cut, I like to mince the garlic, very fine and stuff it into very small holes, I poke into the meat. I do this with oven, or crock-pot cooked roasts, too.

BoltRunner

Cold Bore
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 18, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Im gonna have to agree with everyone so far, I used to marinate steaks a long time ago until I started watching all the high end steak restaurants/chefs cook steaks... Hot grill, good meat, coarse sea salt, coarse pepper... I still use rubs/marinate for smoking meat but not on my steaks. Everyone's got different preferences though

The D

Resident capitalist/agorist/voluntaryist
    Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    If I splurge on a filet or ribeye it's typically salt and pepper. Lesser cuts or a flank I always marinade or put something on it. Bought a pack of strip steaks since that's all that was left and they needed some lovin....talk to me about this egg yolk thing?
    Exactly like it sounds, separate a yolk and white then plop it on top. If you like fried eggs on burgers you already mostly know how it turns out.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I crush it and rub the juice and little bits into the meat. The larger pieces fall off, when the the meat is turned on the grill, preventing the problem of having too much. Sometimes, depending on the cut, I like to mince the garlic, very fine and stuff it into very small holes, I poke into the meat. I do this with oven, or crock-pot cooked roasts, too.
    Ok that's kind of how this stuff works I've been using a lot of ot comes off during grill time.

Reactions: BLEE

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Im gonna have to agree with everyone so far, I used to marinate steaks a long time ago until I started watching all the high end steak restaurants/chefs cook steaks... Hot grill, good meat, coarse sea salt, coarse pepper... I still use rubs/marinate for smoking meat but not on my steaks. Everyone's got different preferences though
    No no not at all. I started this thread so people could tell me NOT to use marinade and how I need to use salt and pepper b/c other people like it best and I should too. Not to actually find something I like, but to be told not to do it! It's the Bear Pit after all! Kidding aside I get it....>I do salt and pepper some too, but do like to mix it up with different cuts.

• Haha
    Reactions: lash and BoltRunner

BoltRunner

Cold Bore
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 18, 2014
    Oklahoma
    No no not at all. I started this thread so people could tell me NOT to use marinade and how I need to use salt and pepper b/c other people like it best and I should too. Not to actually find something I like, but to be told not to do it! It's the Bear Pit after all! Kidding aside I get it....>I do salt and pepper some too, but do like to mix it up with different cuts.
    Hahaha yep if your looking for reassurance don't go to the Pit, but I hear ya different cuts do make a difference in considering marinades...

MtnCreek

Unreconstructed
    Minuteman
    Jan 6, 2012
    Sometimes I sauce some up to serve over noodles with stirfry veggies. Coat with wasabi powder and add a little low sodium soy. Sous vide ~136* for ~1.5 hrs and char on a hot (~600*+) grill. Hillbilly jap-ish food.

Reactions: FWoo45 and 8pointer

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Hahaha yep if your looking for reassurance don't go to the Pit, but I hear ya different cuts do make a difference in considering marinades...
    I love the Pit this place is 99% of my non-work interweb time addicting, fun, educational....and effing hilarious entertainment too.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Sometimes I sauce some up to serve over noodles with stirfry veggies. Coat with wasabi powder and add a little low sodium soy. Sous vide ~136* for ~1.5 hrs and char on a hot (~600*+) grill. Hillbilly jap-ish food.
    Last summer my buddy's wife did this hibachi type deal in a wok. Now don't black out on me, but she took perfectly good ribeye and cubed it up into the work, stirfy veggies with...sorry on spelling....ponzu sauce? That meal was effing fantastic just amazing. Sounds kind of similar.

BigDaddy0381

I see you too!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2010
    Georgia
    Salt , Red pepper, top it off with some garlic salt when took off the grill.

or, if on a flat top. I cover in Mayo and let fry hot and fast on both sides then S,P & G when moved off flat top. The mayo give a really nice crisp on the edges.

This was the S and Red pepper and Garlic.

20210509_152452.jpg
    20210509_153201.jpg

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Salt , Red pepper, top it off with some garlic salt when took off the grill.

or, if on a flat top. I cover in Mayo and let fry hot and fast on both sides then S,P & G when moved off flat top. The mayo give a really nice crisp on the edges.

This was the S and Red pepper and Garlic.

View attachment 7622120View attachment 7622121
    oh my mercy that looks like a $40 meal i'd pay fer

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    The way the steaks get done here, is considerably different than 'the norm'....

This primarily being because we don't have steaks all that often to begin with. (Twice a year, MAYBE three times...) So when we go, we go "all out".

Start with our own custom, in-house marinade. For secrecy's sake, we color ours "white" (fashionably) and hide it in the salt-shaker. No-one would EVER think to look in there. In order for the marinade to stick, we give the (room temperature) steaks a mild wet-down with some good oil. (Quaker State, Pennzoil, Corn, what-have-you) Then we give a moderate dusting of that marinade. After that, we just give it a 'touch' of black pepper (fine grind). Just put on enough of that so's that you can't see the marinade anymore.

Then all that goes into the sous-vide bag, and gets vacuum sealed.

Each of our steaks gets "soused" for however long and at whatever temp is required for each one's particular preference. Shortly before they are removed from 'the bath', then the start on the Peppercorn Sauce begins.

If the weather is good, then we'll fire up the burner on the side of the grill to make the preferred depth and level of char/crust on the outside surfaces of the steaks. If the weather is bad, then that is done inside, under the exhaust-vent above the cooktop, and using a propane torch. It doesn't take long at all. Then the steaks are left to rest for an allotted time. Sometimes with finishing butter, sometimes without.

Meanwhile, the Peppercorn Sauce is cooking down, thickening up,,, flavours are mingling,,, alcohol has been 'flared off'... and heavenly perfection awaits.

And it all hinges on using the proper amount of the proper marinade, to begin with.

Reactions: FjallJager

sheepdog697

RegionRat
    Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Big fan of the good old salt and pepper myself.

One new method ive used when cooking ill share though!

When i smoke the steaks i let them get to about 130 degrees internal then i take them off the low heat and wrap in foil (off the grill) for about 10-15 minutes. In that time i turn the heat in the smoker up to about 450-500. I then return the steaks to the higher heat (add grass fed butter on top) and usually do each side for about another minute or so.

This allows you to cut into the steak AS SOON as your done cooking. The flavor is great, and they usually come out juicer than if i cook continuously and sear at the end, then allow to rest for 15 minutes before eating.

Good buddy of mine runs a local butcher and he recommended this method. Havent gone back since i switched!

Vodoun daVinci

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    Cover both sides of the steak with garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper and the poke holes in the surface with a fork (lots of holes) to drive the spices into the meat. Then toss it in a bowl and marinate overnight in a mixture of *real* soy sauce (the brewed stuff without wheat) and dark beer.

Pan fry it in a little olive oil, grill it, slice it into a stir fry......Eat it raw right off the cutting board like my Wife does when I slice it thin for beef sushi. It's the only marinade I'll do steak in - the only other way I take my steak is aged, seared, with sea/pink salt and coarse ground black pepper.
    VooDoo

Reactions: MediumSpeed

sheepdog697

RegionRat
    Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Cover both sides of the steak with garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper and the poke holes in the surface with a fork (lots of holes) to drive the spices into the meat. Then toss it in a bowl and marinate overnight in a mixture of *real* soy sauce (the brewed stuff without wheat) and dark beer.

Pan fry it in a little olive oil, grill it, slice it into a stir fry......Eat it raw right off the cutting board like my Wife does when I slice it thin for beef sushi. It's the only marinade I'll do steak in - the only other way I take my steak is aged, seared, with sea/pink salt and coarse ground black pepper.
    VooDoo
    tell me more about this real soy sauce without wheat please....

alamo5000

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 18, 2020
    Stubbs Ancho Chili and Garlic.

It's awesome. Really awesome. More than two steaks use two packs to a little less liquid.

Use the powder kind that you can mix yourself so you can control the strength.

Attachments

• stubbs.jpeg
      stubbs.jpeg
      951.1 KB · Views: 10

Cowpokey

MSgt, USAF Ret
    Minuteman
    May 1, 2020
    Bel Air, MD
    <snip>

My old man was a big fan of Italian dressing, and that doesn't suck.
    One of my friends turned me on to that when we were stationed in Korea. Put a ribeye in a ziploc bag and fill it up with the dressing, leave it in the fridge overnight. Delicious!

Usually just spices; seasoning salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, Mrs Dash. I put it on pretty thick since it falls off in the grill.

Mike Casselton

Non-Bidenary Trunk Monkey
    Minuteman
  • Nov 25, 2007
    Lithia, FL
    Rebecca and I just do coarse sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
    A light coat of melted Kerrygold butter and slapped on a 600° grill for about 4-5 minutes total.

A couple fresh pats of butter while it rests for 5 minutes.

Serve with a bottle of Carnivore wine.
    Munch away.

20180825_184249.jpg

If you want garlic, get the jar of chopped garlic, a sauce pan and olive oil.

Get the pan warm on med/med-low heat, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a couple tablespoons of the garlic.
    (Yeah, sounds like a lot)
    Simmer it until it gets a golden blonde color and immediately remove it from heat and transfer into a bowl to prevent overcooking.

The garlic will be sweet at this point instead of pungent.

Slather it on your steak and cook away.

sheepdog697

RegionRat
    Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    Rebecca and I just do coarse sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
    A light coat of melted Kerrygold butter and slapped on a 600° grill for about 4-5 minutes total.

A couple fresh pats of butter while it rests for 5 minutes.

Serve with a bottle of Carnivore wine.
    Munch away.

View attachment 7622155

If you want garlic, get the jar of chopped garlic, a sauce pan and olive oil.

Get the pan warm on med/med-low heat, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a couple tablespoons of the garlic.
    (Yeah, sounds like a lot)
    Simmer it until it gets a golden blonde color and immediately remove it from heat and transfer into a bowl to prevent overcooking.

The garlic will be sweet at this point instead of pungent.

Slather it on your steak and cook away.
    perfect....

Tater Salad

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 2, 2020
    For a marinade I prefer Andria's and for a seasoning, other than salt and pepper, I prefer Uncle Chris' Gourmet Steak Seasoning. When I do a simple salt and pepper I use a course sea salt and fresh, course ground, black pepper. Fresh ground pepper stands out far better than a pre-ground pepper, as with most spices.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    Minuteman
    Depends on what I am in the mood for.

Montreal steak spice...

Paul Prudhomme's Steak Blackening (and Pittsburgh Rare.)

And Szechwan Pepper (actually a relative of hops, not a real pepper.)

Kosher salt only.

Worcestershire sauce.

An old family favorite is hot English mustard powder mixed with bacon grease and black pepper (wicked good on roasts)

Coating whole thing in bacon grease and putting on a dry rub.

All kinds of ways to make a steak good. Including leaving it alone.

Steak cooking tip. Big thick steak is way better than thin steak. 1.5" minimum with 2" being better to get a properly cooked steak. Those wafer-thin grocery store steaks are worthless. Cook a steak twice the size of what you think you can eat. Next day... steak sandwiches, fajitas, leftover steak... whatever. But always buy big.

Sirhr

alamo5000

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 18, 2020
    I do salt and pepper some too, but do like to mix it up with different cuts.
    This. It depends on the cut. Not every cut should be marinated the same way. The cooking method matters too.

I am generally a minimalist but that Stubbs I mentioned above is excellent on steaks cooked on a grill.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Oh perfect some great ideas here and plenty of stuff I have not heard of...thanks. Next up will be a proper grill the elements have torn this ol buggy up with rust gotta get some heat back in the game.

Choid

Slinging it. Left and right.
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Cook it in a pan, starting fat side down to render, with only salt. When browned, add some butter, rosemary, thyme and garlic cloves, and spoon over the meat. Flip often. You can thank me later.

abn31c

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2018
    Cook it in a pan, starting fat side down to render, with only salt. When browned, add some butter, rosemary, thyme and garlic cloves, and spoon over the meat. Flip often. You can thank me later.
    If yer starting fat side down you might as well trim all fat before you cook it. Your'e rendering it away from the meat.
    Jus sayin.....

Herb Stoner

Public Nuisance
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2019
    Two Places at Once
    I rarely use marinades except for lesser grades of meat or for cuts of beef where they are used primarily to tenderize the cut - tri-tip, skirt / bavette, hanger / onglett, etc. For better cuts its salt and a pinch of pepper or maybe a touch shichimi to make the natural beef flavors pop a bit.

Had a nice piece of A5 yesterday. Sliced thin with a quick sear on a salt block at 500-600F. Anything else would be detrimental to such a fine cut - like butter!

We've moved away from grilling steaks unless its a big gathering and prefer a sear in cast iron and oven finish. Some butter on some cuts is a nice add too!

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
    Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    I turn my oven on 500 degrees, and the burner on full hot and put a cast iron skillet on the burner till its hot. Coat a ribeye in a little canola oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Sear each side for 1 minute 30 seconds, flip and put in the oven for 3 minutes 30 seconds per side. Let rest for 7 mins. Enjoy perfect steak

Reactions: DCAN

Choid

Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    If yer starting fat side down you might as well trim all fat before you cook it. Your'e rendering it away from the meat.
    Jus sayin.....
    Negative. You render it and then cook the meat in its own rendered fat. Makes the fat and the meat taste better. Also, cooking on all sides, rather than just two, gives you better temperature gradient.

shields shtr

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 4, 2017
    The way the steaks get done here, is considerably different than 'the norm'....

This primarily being because we don't have steaks all that often to begin with. (Twice a year, MAYBE three times...) So when we go, we go "all out".

Start with our own custom, in-house marinade. For secrecy's sake, we color ours "white" (fashionably) and hide it in the salt-shaker. No-one would EVER think to look in there. In order for the marinade to stick, we give the (room temperature) steaks a mild wet-down with some good oil. (Quaker State, Pennzoil, Corn, what-have-you) Then we give a moderate dusting of that marinade. After that, we just give it a 'touch' of black pepper (fine grind). Just put on enough of that so's that you can't see the marinade anymore.

Then all that goes into the sous-vide bag, and gets vacuum sealed.

Each of our steaks gets "soused" for however long and at whatever temp is required for each one's particular preference. Shortly before they are removed from 'the bath', then the start on the Peppercorn Sauce begins.

If the weather is good, then we'll fire up the burner on the side of the grill to make the preferred depth and level of char/crust on the outside surfaces of the steaks. If the weather is bad, then that is done inside, under the exhaust-vent above the cooktop, and using a propane torch. It doesn't take long at all. Then the steaks are left to rest for an allotted time. Sometimes with finishing butter, sometimes without.

Meanwhile, the Peppercorn Sauce is cooking down, thickening up,,, flavours are mingling,,, alcohol has been 'flared off'... and heavenly perfection awaits.

And it all hinges on using the proper amount of the proper marinade, to begin with.
    WTF are you talking about? Are you from a foreign country? Pretty sure people go through less steps to cook Crystal Meth.

I like to use some type of wood or charcoal. Get it really hot. Salt and Pepper. Cook to no greater than medium rare, or just throw it away.

Oh yeah, "NO GRASS FED!" At the very minimum finished on grain or corn for at least a month or two, but preferably far before that.

All tongue in cheek of course, do whatever makes ya happy, at least people here still eat meat. Except for the grass fed or finished part, cows need some type of grain for a while to get the fat content that makes a beef steak a "steak". All my grass fed stuff typically enters my part of the food chain via an arrow or bullet...

Reactions: FWoo45 and 8pointer

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    WTF are you talking about? Are you from a foreign country? Pretty sure people go through less steps to cook Crystal Meth.
    And just like that this thread became way more important than steak. I'm going to figure out how to work this quote into at least one conversation each day for the next month.

Reactions: MJF and Captare

abn31c

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 10, 2018
    Negative. You render it and then cook the meat in its own rendered fat. Makes the fat and the meat taste better. Also, cooking on all sides, rather than just two, gives you better temperature gradient.
    Soo, why not start fat side up and work in down thru the flesh as its heating?
    Hey, you do you. It's stupid, and makes no sense, but do whatever you like.
    I probably dont know shit about beef anyway.

Choid

Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Soo, why not start fat side up and work in down thru the flesh as its heating?
    Hey, you do you. It's stupid, and makes no sense, but do whatever you like.
    I probably dont know shit about beef anyway.
    You might know everything about beef. But this isn't about beef, it is about flavor development and the role of different, and multiple, fats in carrying flavors. Would you like my restaurant work resume, my penis size or can this just be about what people like.