• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is your favorite rimfire squirrel rifle?

Re: What is your favorite rimfire squirrel rifle?

all 3 very cool guns! what is the gun in the back on the second picture?

thanks

any rifle that can accomplish 1" or less at 25 yards for head shots. set up for a sling, prefer to put a few extra on the sides for front carry. my state doesn't have a law on what the capacity would be (although there is a no semi law for hunting) so a tube fed is actually nice for those quick and nimble greys that you tend to miss as they hop across the canopy. you'll sometimes lose the round count, the tube has a nice capacity to it (using .22lr). i like a synthetic stock for a lighter carry, but also appreciate the "romance" of a wood stocked squirrel gun.

caliber preference would be .22mag as it has more umph to it in the event a different target of oppurtunity presents itself.

for a dedicated squirrel getter, i like the see thru scope mounts - sight in the opens for point blank shooting (critter is in a tree right above me), then use a low powered nonturreted scope for something further out.

for my .22mag running a 4-16 mildot, those point blank shots are accomplished by holding 1 mildot high on 4x (30 gr vmax hornady), with a 50 yard zero.
01-17-20116SQUIRREL2.jpg

22MAG30GRHORNHEADSHOTjpg.jpg

savage 93r17 gvxp. shoots amazing with the hornady ammo. head shots only. got it completely set up and nib for 250 bucks. its a package deal from savage. comes with 3x9 bushnell scope. only thing bad is i had to bend the feed lips on the mag. otherwise when chambering the next round it would spew rounds out all over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all 3 very cool guns! what is the gun in the back on the second picture?

thanks </div></div>

Just a 40X in .22lr...modded out.

It's uber accurate but a tank to carry...and single shot so if its out hunting its typically shot from a stationary position not walking around. On good days, I pick off shotgun hulls at 200yds with relatively high accuracy. On bad days, about 1 in 3 or 4...</div></div>

I hate you; I feel good being able to hit the 4" gong 80% @ 200...and it ain't the rifle's fault. LOL. That's some good shootin' man!

To answer the question, I kill most of my squirrels @ 50-100 yards using my Savage M2-FV, wearing a 4.5-14x turret scope. I don't think it's ideal for squirrels unless you intentionally hunt them at a little longer ranges, but being familiar with your weapon is worth far more than having the "ideal" tool for the job. I would highly recommend even a basic Ruger 10/22 carbine topped with a 3-9x32 or 40mm scope. Squirrels are most active in early morning and late afternoon, so a decent scope is very handy.

Either my Winchester 9422 with open sights or my Cooper with a 3X9 Leupold EFR. I only hunt with sub-sonic ammunition. No need for anything faster than a sub-sonic 22 LR.

A 22 magnum and 17 HMR is just way too much for squirrels, and IMO unsafe in the squirrel woods.

Squirrel hunting is a 50 yard and shorter sport. Usually shorter. Precision shooting is called for. And a good peep sight or 3X9 is about perfect for precision shooting to distances of 50 yards. Actually a good peep sight is more than adequate, and a challenge. Tom.

IMG_0195-1.jpg

Volquartsen 17hmr semi auto. Well made and the last semi auto 17 in production as far as I know.

hoghead, how do you figure the 17 hmr is unsafe? the vamx hornady fragment instantly. do worry about a pass through on any tree branch and having them carry on like a 22 lr. and if your shooting squirrels in the head, which i assume anyone that is going to eat them would, the 17hmr or 22 mag isnt too much. Just curious as to what your basis is for a 17 hmr being unsafe is. oh and the ricochet from a 17 is also more than likely never going to happen. when i have been messing around with pop cans and water bottles, the 17 fragments and most of the bullet is left in the base of the can or bottle. the 22 just punches a hole and keeps going.

my favorite is my remington left handed model 581, there just like the 541, just with a cheaper stock, accurate as all get out, love blowing the tops of squirels heads off with it

I go back and forth between the CZ452 w/ss 10x and TC R55 with irons (well, fiberoptic). Both great shooters.

My HK-300 in .22 magnum. It was the first .22 magnum I purchased and it has served me faithfully for over 30 years. Light to carry and deadly accurate. Plus it is a Heckler and Koch, need I say more.

A 17HMR and a 22 magnum are basically unsafe IMO in the squirrel woods. I definitely do believe that. A sub-sonic 22 LR round is more than adequate to shoot any squirrel in any squirrel woods I have ever hunted in.

For me it is simple. It is very simple to understand the differences between the velocity, and down range damage difference between a sub sonic 22 LR and the 17 HMR or the 22 magnum. And saying that any bullet wil not richochet?? Well that tells me you really haven't shot alot of ammo down range. Any and all ammunition will ricochet under certain conditions.

And I believe it is exponentially more safe to be shooting a cartridge in the sub-sonic than a cartrdige that pushes the extremes. Especially when that extra performance is totally overkill for the quarry being hunted.

I have been hunting in the squirrel woods for over 40 years. and I know what safe is and is not. And a high performance cartridge shooting up into the trees is unsafe. Keep that ammo as slow as can be for an ethical kill, and you will do well.

Plus that ammo is way too loud. Like the above poster with a suppressor. He did not say if he was shooting sub-sonic cartridges or not. But what good would a suppressor be in the squirrel wods with a hyper-sonic load??

A good hunter uses the tool that best achieves their goal or kills his quarry. And above all does it 100% safely. I own a lot of property and some nice woods. And I let a few guys squirrel hunt on my property. But I do not allow any unsafe hunting on my property because someone else may be in the woods. If you show up with a magnum to kill squirrels at my farm you will be asked not to come back. I just don't think they are safe for squirrel hunting type conditions.

After all, what do most hunters start off hunting with in the squirrel woods?? That answer would be a shotgun. And the real reason is down range lethality of the cartridge being used. Would you allow a 10 year old in the woods hunting squirrels with a 17 HMR?? Accidents DO HAPPEN!!

I was an excellent shot with a 22 LR when I was young. But there is no way my father would let me hunt in the squirrel woods with a rifle. Heck to this day there are a bunch of shots I pass on with a sub-sonic cartridge because of safety concerns. How many shots do most hunters pass on?? Tom.

206714_1821211724822_1076048002_32096321_7129539_n.jpg

77/22 suppressed. Even in the dead of winter, I was making some scary accurate cold-bore shots.

Just to throw a wrench in things my favorite tree squirrel gun isn't a rimfire but an air rifle-- a .22 Edgun Matador. Over the year and a half I've owned the thing it has eliminated many a tree squirrel and over 150 ground squirrels from 20-135 yards. Short, easy to handle, plenty of power, and scary quiet-- you can pick off several squirrels usually without spooking their neighbors. 65-70 consistent regulated shots on a single charge means lots of dead critters before having to refill. Being an air rifle lobbing pellets with a poor BC you have to be good with ranging and wind reading especially beyond 50Y but that's half the fun.

matador.jpg

For regular rimfires on ground squirrels I primarily use my Marlin 917 VSF in .17hmr or less frequently my heavily modded 10/22. I don't feel comfortable or safe shooting either of those rifles up into the trees for tree squirrels.

Mach 2 in the configuration you prefer.
If you try it you'll be hooked.

Custom stocked Rem 510 re-lined VX-III 4.5-14
6lbs. and death to 125+

Serious rat hunters know
wink.gif

CZ 452 Varmint in 17 HMR. I have tried all the rimfire cartridges and like the HMR best. More range and accuracy than any tree rat gun out there. Mach II is my second favorite. It would be number one for me if ammo were more readily available. Headshots only for me.

Gonna buck the tide and say my favorite is my Ruger Ninety Six in 22WMR with a 1.5-4.5x30 Bushnell Banner. Yeah I know it's ugly, it's a lever gun, but it is very reliable and I don't mind if it gets skinned up riding in the truck, (We road hunt w/feist dogs or mountain curs around here) or 4 wheeler.

Either my $55 dollar Remington 511 that an old Nat. Guard armorer took under his wing and re-crowned, floated and bedded or the Marlin 39A that I traded for with an old beer neon light that I got for free.

Both are tack drivers.

The suppressed heavy barrled 77/22 is to much to lug around the squirrel woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 750k2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mach 2 in the configuration you prefer.
If you try it you'll be hooked.

Custom stocked Rem 510 re-lined VX-III 4.5-14
6lbs. and death to 125+

Serious rat hunters know
wink.gif
</div></div>

Amen!

I like my CZ 452 American in HM2 for squirrels! It is by far my favorite rimfire for the job, especially when the leaves are down. The CZ 452 American .22LR goes out occasionally too when the leaves are still up, but rarely when the woods are naked.

As for the .22WMR and .17HMR debate...
I personally think they are both too much for tree rats. There is a lot of "umph" behind these cartridges and there isn't a lot to a squirrel. The .17HM2 has enough explosion for me on what I hunt. Anything bigger than these rounds is too much in my honest opinion.

I am in no way saying that these are the wrong rounds for the job, just that I would not personally use them. I have blown coon heads clean off with my WMR and I have put holes in ghogs the size of a half dollar at 150yds with my HMR.. Awesome to shoot? Yes. Deadly? Absolutely. Blood, guts, and gore to fulfill manliness? You bet your bottom dollar. Too much for the hunting required for squirrels? My <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">opinion</span></span></span>: yes.

Edit: I am also hoping to get a Henry H001T soon to hunt squirrels with. It just seems like a blast to shoot and a great rifle to carry.

Marlin 60 is what I like. So cheap no fear of ding or loss.

i used my ruger markIII hunter pistol the last time i went out and it worked great, head shots galore. before that i used my faithful 10/22 with a bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40. both successful hunts. i would like to use my marlin 39a open sights next time.
i personally dont see any problems with the 17hmr just based on the fact that its a 17gr bullet that loses velocity rather quickly(200yd effective range). if it did hit something a mile away whats it gonna do? i wouldnt use one because i think its overkill for a 30-50yd shot, but i wouldnt be upset if someone else decided to use it because they are...wait for it... awesome!
never owned a 22mag so i dont have an opinion on those. never needed one or at least never thought i needed one, im sure someone here could convince me otherwise.
anyway my 2c.