• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What is your lead removal process

NavyshooterM40

CAPT USN (ret)
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Texas
What is your process for removing lead from your shotgun barrel? After shooting a couple of three gun matches with my Versa Max it is really leaded up. Tried brush with Hoppies no 9, shooter choice and WD40. Thanks

Back when I competed in sporting clays and skeet alot I would just use CLP and tshirt squares every month or so for the barrels mostly to keep rust out. Chokes get gross over time, so I would leave them in some wd40 and then put one of my 12ga brass brushes in my drill and it strips it right out.

Lead shouldn't be building up in your barrel so much as fouling from the powder and wad??? How many rounds are you talking about here? I've put more than 100k rounds through my skeet gun and don't really know how lead would build up in a smoothbore gun like this.

I don't know if it's still available, but I bought Shooter's Choice Lead Remover years ago. Came in 4 fl oz bottle. Back then I paid $9 for the bottle. Seemed to work okay when I was shooting 38 spl lead wadcutters. Wouldn't take off severe lead fouling, but for the average use, it worked well.

IMO you are more likely to have carbon and wad plastic fouling than lead. There is a reason wad cups are...well, cups.

As far as cleaning barrels, I personally use a brass rod chucked into a drill and threaded on one end to accept a bronze brush. Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber down the bore, brush in rod chucked into drill, then go to town. Patch out afterward.

The Bore Shine is, IMO, more of a wetting agent to keep stuff in suspension so it can be patched out more than a solvent. Mechanical agitation is your friend.

If you don't have a brass rod then I suggest tornado brushes on a manual cleaning rod with Bore Scrubber. Then patch out.

Cheers

Reactions: Jgault and DIBBS
By 'Tornado brushes' do you mean those Steel ones from BassPro etc ?? I'd think those would wear a lot off the barrel. I use a 12G brass brush in my drill with Hoppes and a bit of steel wool wrapped on it to get off the 'cup remains'. Just takes a few seconds.

By 'Tornado brushes' do you mean those Steel ones from BassPro etc ?? I'd think those would wear a lot off the barrel.
You would be wrong.

"Steel" isn't all the same. The stuff they make those brushes from is far softer than any shotgun barrel, even more so if the bore is chrome plated.

Reactions: Baron23
Just pull a bore snake spritzed with CLP through it after your range session.

You would be wrong.

"Steel" isn't all the same. The stuff they make those brushes from is far softer than any shotgun barrel, even more so if the bore is chrome plated.
Right. Been cleaning smooth bores w tornado brushes since the came out. Barrels only….def not sub gauge tubes.

Reactions: 308pirate