• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns what is your other concealed carry?

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
I could not ever seem to make up my mind on what I wanted to carry for CC but my wife really liked the SW M&P 9c. After trying hers for the last 6 mos or so I really like it and am inclined to get the same thing.......but for some reason that seems odd. I like the size, the way it carries, the way it shoots and the round count....pretty much everything.

I have been looking at the Kahr as its a little leaner and that would give my wife and I two different options.

What would you do in the same situation?

I carry a Kimber ultra carry 2 stainless in a comp tac montasour tuckable holster. I don't leave home with out it. There are some really nice slim line pistols out now. Springfield 44 slim

Kimber ultra tactical ll in a crossbreed holster. If I'm in the mood for a change il carry the glock 23 in a raven concealment owb holster.

Thanks. I have an older Kimber fullsize 45 that I like so I will go back and look at the new ones. I did run across a Springfield EMP and really liked that. Shot well although it did seem a bit heavier than the M&P. Great suggestions on the Kimbers....

My every day carry was a G23 and a G27 (Sunday dress shirt) in a Crossbreed. Just picked up a XDs 45 to add to the rotation. Finally got to shoot the XDs and it is actually easier to shoot than the G27.

Simmy, what was it you like when you say "it is actually easier to shoot"? Trigger feel, recoil, accuracy, reloading? Everything?

I've got a couple of Kahrs. A P380 and a PM 9. I like them both. They are easy to carry and both function good. Neither is my primary but both give me a light, easy to pocket option. I think it is necessary to have options for different situations.

I'm still looking at the word "other." Are the OP and his missus sharing a pistol?

I think that you should have at least three: one that's pretty much imperceptible for maximum concealment, one that's slim to slimmish and lends itself to carry during the summer, and one that can be easily concealed under heavier clothing during colder weather. Of course, you can forgo pocket options and make do with just one, but I prefer bringing along as much as I feel comfortable with in terms of caliber and capacity. I may not need it, but it's nice to have nonetheless.

Simmy, what was it you like when you say "it is actually easier to shoot"? Trigger feel, recoil, accuracy, reloading? Everything?

I've had my XDs 45 for a little over a year now and it shoots like my XD 45 (4in). Foe such a small pistol I thought that the recoil would have felt like high diving a hammer but its nothing like that at all. Smooth and reliable, I've put about 700 rds through it and no issues of yet. The only down side I've noticed with it is the 5+1 capacity. I found some of the 7rd mags for sale recently so I've started carrying on of those as well.

Glock 30 (.45) for 95% of the time but when its really hot and wearing shorts I take my Ruger LCR .357 in a pocket.

Typically carry my full size 1911 (.45) with my .357 revolver as well. My wife likes to carry either he Walther PK380 or her 38 special revolver in her purse.

This is one of mine, a police trade in and I got it real cheap $250 out the door, a G22. I swapped the barrel with 357 SIG, and for better concealment IWB I had the grip cut down to the size of the G19.

G19 on top
smgcau.jpg

bg4gmd.jpg

2w69i03.jpg

VeerG,
You are correct. Right now we only have one non full size pistol. I have full size 45's but dont want to CC those. My wife got the M&P 9c for herself and, initially, I did not like it(now I do). I dont have a CC yet and have been looking around. While I really like my wifes 9c it seems like I should get something different so we have choices. I would like for each of us to have 2 different options but thats not in the budget just now. (I wish I could find one of those nice police trade in deals)

I looked at the Springfield EMP (which I really like) however based on the cost and larger size I would be inclined to get another 9c. Maybe I will go look at the Kahrs again so we have one that can accomodate most of our needs.

To be honest I am pretty happy to have this sort of dilema. My wife grew up partially in Europe and the rest in the SF Bay Area. Guns were 'horrible, deadly things only insecure idiots own' from her perspective. That changed after she had a negative experience. After that she took classes, got her gun and is in process to get her CC permit....all on her own. She also has recruited half a dozen women, that used to share her negative impression about guns, going to the range with her. And they all own guns now. Movin' in the right direction...

full size 1911s - either a Baer 9mm or Baer .45. I love the 1911 for a lot of reasons, but really like it as a carry gun given how relatively thin it is.

pester you can get the 40c and for like 100 extra bucks get a 2cnd barrel in 9mm and have 2 calibers (mags are diffrent though, ive heard they work either way though). I got it so i can have 1 CC that could shot 2 commen ammos for shtf type bs and a little cheaper to practice with if you dont re.load. Id stick with M&P since you already like it and you know what they say "two is one and one is none".

The guys at the gun shop mentioned that......after my wifes purchase.

At this point I think I am leaning towards seeing what the Kahrs are like to shoot in a 9. If its something we can both live with then maybe it makes sense to get one of the Kahrs for summer carry and I will get a m&p or the Springfield EMP.

You seem pretty set on your solution already, and I sense that you are either struggling with your conscience or with a beer pocket/champagne taste issue. In either case, finding a reliable carry pistol doesn't have to be terribly problematic if you're willing to consider less popular or more vintage, non-polymer solutions. Think of it as if you were picking up a rental car that you weren't entirely dissatisfied with after a few days. Being imperfectly aware of the infamous CA list, I don't know if they're acceptable to the state, but have you given any thought to the idea of a gently used S&W 3913 or a SIG P225/P6? The S&W 3913 is truly an undersung firearm, and in this market can be had quite often for $400 or less. The P225/P6 might run a bit more.

1911 in a Super Tuck (ST), G30 in ST, S&W Model 37 in my pocket, Glock 19/17 Mexican when needed and others. I have choices as I think one firearm can't do it all. Others only own one firearm, if that is the case get more then one holster to fit your needs. Good luck!

The shield would be my choice i love mine carry it every day it recoils like a .22 and very similar to the M&P 9c just slimmer so its a bit easier to conceal. i had a Kahr CW9 and it sucked it jammed like every third round.

The Shield would be a good choice, as would a lot of pistols, but they are not on the Kalifornia approved list (ie they did not pay the bribe required by the Collective). The other factor as Veer mentions is budget. I could easily afford two options with just the amount I have paid in increased taxes this year alone.

That being the case I am going to look at what used CC options I might have so thanks for the suggestion. Now I am off to GB to look around...

Sorry to hear that the missus had to go through a bad experience to change her mind. Glad to hear that she made it out OK. One thing to consider is that since she is carrying a M&P and you like it, you might consider thte same thing. God forbid something happens, you both have the same weapon which will take the same ammo and the same mags. Just thought I would throw that in.

However if you are considering something different, here is a few things base on my experiences and weapons that I own.

The XDs .45 is narrower than the G27 so it carries a little easier. It is also a single stack mag. The grip is not as wide. I had to send my G27 to Coldbore Customs for a grip reduction to make it comfortable. I have smaller hands so the XDs just feels right to me. The grip on the XDs looks aggressive but it is very comfortable to use and carry. As for soft shooting, I am talking about perceived recoil. The G27 is a little snappy. I prefer the G23 over the G27 because of the little larger frame. I have been able to have better follow up shots and easier recoil management with the XDs. Not really going to start the caliber war because I have several 9mm, .45, and .40 guns and they each serve a purpose. I am mainly a Glock user because of simplicity. I have tried the Glock 45 compacts. The G30 and G36 but they are too bulky and they tear me up on a range session. I have no problems with the XDs. The only Springer that I own is the XDs. Has become my main CCW because of size, weight, and concealabilty. Main thing being Sunday in a dress shirt and tie. One last thing is that I find myself carrying a spare mag because of the single stack design it is easier to carry in a front pocket that a Glock mag. Being a Glock user, I like the trigger of the XDs. I really think that there is really nothing I have to do to the trigger unlike my Glocks that got the polish treatment to smooth them out. I am sure the 9mm version is also a great little shooter. I did carry a Sig P238 for a bit but I would much rather have 6rds of .45 than 6 rds of 380.

A friend of mine does have a Kahr PM9. The trigger is heavy and for a 9mm, the recoil is very harsh. As for perceived recoil, I would say the XDs is easy to shoot and handle than the Kahr. Never have been fan of them of the ones that I have shot or handled.

Here is a few pics of the XDs with the G27. It is not a lot of difference but enough to make it more comfortable for me. What may work for me may not work for you. Hope this helps and if you have any further questions, just ask.

Last edited:
My wife also has the M&P 9c and think about this I usually carry a full size M&P 9 because my mags will fit her gun. If you don't like the idea of a full size actually a better option than mine is for you to also buy another 9c if you like it then all the mags you both carry will work in both guns. You can never have to much ammo with you, this way you both are carrying ammo for both guns. God forbid you ever need to use your weapon but just incase you do and even worse one of you get wounded maybe the extra ammo can keep you safe until help arrives.

after trading around a few carry guns I finally found one I like. XDS big punch little package. just waiting for the 9mm version now

Like I said earlier I've got two Kahrs and they're great but I still wouldn't be without a snubbie 38. My wife carries hers but you can't beat the reliability and the ease of use. And you won't get a malfunction by pushing the slide out of battery in a close up situation. You can usually find a snub in the $300-400 range fairly easy. Great pocket carry too.

I carry a M&P 9c, and I used to own a Kahr. I much prefer the 9c to the Kahr.

The Kahr was a little small, and felt a bit strange in the hand. It also carried less rounds than the 9c.

You can't go wrong with the 9c.

I switch between 4 pistols. I have a glock 19 and 26 which I use the same IWB conceal holster for both. I also have a full size XDM 40 and XDM compact 40 that I have one IWB holster that fits both of them as well. I like changing up and am able to do it. If I know I am only going to be out during daylight hours I will carry one of the Springfields, I have not got them sent in to SA to get night sights put on. If I am going to be out doing something and know I will be out in darkness, I carry one of the Glocks, I have night sights on them. I carry the 19 more than any of them, second is the full size XDM. I trust my life with any of them and with good holsters, like I feel I have, they are all comfortable to carry.

I switch between a kahr cw9 and a ruger lcr, depending on my mode of dress. I can shoot 100% on the timed duty pistol course for our state with the Kahr, and pretty close with the Ruger.

I am an H&K whore. I like my USP full size and my Tactical. I am a big guy and can conceal a Desert Eagle 50AE with the right cover cloths. I carry a gun on a very regular basis. The gun I have been carrying fairly the most is a S&W 340PD 357 with Buffalo Bore ammo. I drop it into my pocket, of my shorts and or my pants. I call it my driving to work going to the store gun simply because its not much bigger than my wallet and when I pick up my wallet and keys to go some where its sitting right there with it. I pick up and will carry my full size guns if I feel that way. YMMV

On hot days I throw a Taurus 85ul in my pocket with a couple speed strips. It's accurate enough and hard to beat the reliability of a revolver.

Use to carry a Kimberly Raptor Ultra, Sig P238, Glock 23, or Walther PPS 9mm. Got rid of them all and now my EDC is a Glock 27 Gen4. Compact, reliable, and affordable. I carry it IWB in casual clothes and Ankle Carry in dress clothes.

Everyday is a Ruger LCP and special occasions Steyr M40A1, if Sig ever brings out a 938 Scorpion model I will carry that. At the SHOT Show they said it would be another year till they release it. LCP for now a long trigger pull but in the hot summers I can still wear shorts and shirt optional.

Attachments

• IMG_20130724_222328_732[1].jpg
    IMG_20130724_222328_732[1].jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 16
Carry my S&W M&P Shield the majority of the time and my S&W 360PD the rest of the time. I also carry one of my 1911's from time to time.

I carry either a shield 40 or a number of glocks. My favorite Glock to carry is a 23. I have a 27 but never carry it due to the fact that with the pinky extention the grip is actually a hair longer than a 23 with a mag. Since the grip is the hardest part to conceal it's pointless the carry a smaller gun with less capacity and a shorter sight radius if it doesn't carry any better.

I don't normally agree with James Yaeger, but one thing he says that I agree with is about the G19 and that's "it's small enough to carry and big enough to fight with". This goes for all mid sized pistols (G19/23 size) pistols that have a full grip, good capacity, and good sight radius. That said, I don't like the M&Pc because it's not a true mid sized pistol, you're pinky doesn't set on the grip without and extension and I always pinch my finger on guns like this so I hate shooting them. For me the grip on the shield is just long enough that I don't typically do this but sometimes I still screw up and pinch my fingers.

My favorite mid sized pistol is obviously the G23 but that's just my preference, another good one is the HK USPc. You can typically alter your attire to accommodate any of these guns (I'm 5' 6" and can conceal my G20 and all of my standard sized pistols as well if I choose) but sometimes you just need something smaller and for me that's when the Shield and Bodyguard 380 comes into play.

I carry a 4" Kimber most of the time or an LCP when I need a pocket gun. When I'm on a kick for something different I carry the 5" XD .40. The wife carries a Shield in .40 all the time..

My "minimal carry" is a J-frame .38 - preferably appendix carry or in a man purse, but occasionally on the ankle when the attire/occasion dictates. One step above that is a 9mm Shield which I am slowly growing very fond of. Mostly, I carry a variety of 3.5-4" 9mm or .45 pistols IWB just behind the hip. Open carry 4-5" pistols.

Thanks to eveyone for their thoughts. At this point I think I am likely to go with another M&P 9c so if one of us is carrying and the other needs to use that pistol there is no difference. I also like the idea of a revolver so maybe I will shoot some different ones and then try to find a good used one. I liked the Springfield EMP and others but for the price I think the 9c is likely to be my next purchase.

I like the Sig 938 Rosewood (9mm). It fits great in my hand; is painless to maneuver/use and is easily concealable. It is also small enough to fit in your back pocket and look like a wallet to the untrained eye. Hell its a Sig cant go wrong there. Please see below link with specs.

P938 Rosewood

P239 is my favorite smaller sized pistol. Super accurate, super trigger. The M&Pc I had had a very rough trigger, even after the Apex Tactical parts were installed. I sold it after one trip to the range.

The P239 has a slim grip, so can be concealed better than the overall dimensions would suggest.

I also have the P938, but it is a totally different gun than my other Sigs. Sure is small though.

s

Summer or winter, I like I am comfortable with my Baer Stinger in 45ACP using the Milt Sparks Summer Special. I can wear it with cargo shorts, or any shorts with a belt loop, and it is secure and comfortable. If I am running into the local Flash foods to get gas or such I have a P238 to stuff into my pocket.
The Summer Special can be had on Brownells for most popular 1911s and a few others so you do not have to wait 6 months on Milt Sparks to make it.

I also carry an XDx in .45. I purchased a Shield last summer and a buddy purchased the XDs because they had one in stock and didn't want to wait on the Shield. After shooting his at the range I purchased one also. It's an awesome carry weapon and handles the recoil very well. I use a Remora holster and forget I'm even carrying it half the time. The Shield has never made it in the carry rotation since purchasing the XDs. When I'm deer hunting I usually carry my Glock 23 in a Super Tuck.

I guess I took the question wrong, but my other cc would be my out-the-front d/a knife.