• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is your process for initial set up on your rifle system?

Kanwhitetails

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2018
Central Kansas
Do you have a process you've developed that you just do without thinking about it anymore? Do you have methods to set up a PRS rifle that differ from a hunting or off the shelf gun? I'm getting ready to start mounting my barrelled action into my TCS, and find myself wondering if there are tips or tricks some of you with vastly more experience that I would care to share.

Should I set up the LOP a bit shorter for those barricade shots where squaring up might mean a more central stock position? Should I be prone vs bench when setting eye-relief and alignment? Should I go to the range and set the system up on a barricade? I don't want to spend two hours getting this thing dialed in at home only to drive out to spend just as much time again re-working it all. Maybe that's just the cost of doing it right, but if there are some thoughts on the matter, I'm all ears.

I prefer to set eye relief prone; it’s much easier for me to lean my head a bit forward in the kneeling/standing than to turtle it backwards when prone. Curious to hear other opinions.

I actually like a shorter LOP too, but haven’t played with that nearly as much.

Reactions: Holliday
I prefer a shorter LOP as well. Given most scopes have a ~1/2" range for eye relief I will also set it in prone towards the most rearward part of the range. It usually puts you in a good place for other positions, especially at less than max magnification.

I spend time tweaking all my adjustments. Before I would ever go to the range. I have some basic props set up in the back yard that I can set up on and look out 100-200 yards through my scope. Play with it, is this better or worse. PRS is not shot off benches and very little prone. I don't zero my rifle sitting at a bench but I rather stand behind it with it resting on a bench.

Do you have a process you've developed that you just do without thinking about it anymore? Do you have methods to set up a PRS rifle that differ from a hunting or off the shelf gun? I'm getting ready to start mounting my barrelled action into my TCS, and find myself wondering if there are tips or tricks some of you with vastly more experience that I would care to share.

Should I set up the LOP a bit shorter for those barricade shots where squaring up might mean a more central stock position? Should I be prone vs bench when setting eye-relief and alignment? Should I go to the range and set the system up on a barricade? I don't want to spend two hours getting this thing dialed in at home only to drive out to spend just as much time again re-working it all. Maybe that's just the cost of doing it right, but if there are some thoughts on the matter, I'm all ears.
You pretty much described my "system" many times. Get it all set up and then have to redo it because it isn't quite where I need it to be when I get out there.... I would just advise using whatever set up you are running as key words and searching the threads here. You will see what common mistakes are made and some that aren't so common too and it will help. Otherwise, really setting the scope position is the biggest thing that takes some time to redo, the other stuff is quick at the range or wherever... I try to get mine snug and then gently go prone and also get set up on a medium height with my tripod, then sit bench and if it works for those 3, it's gtg. If not I adjust it.

I think one important item often overlooked is your scope vertical tracking and to establish a correction factor, if present. Does it adjust 5 moa/mils at 100m/yds or does it track 5 1/2 or 5.3 Along with that, do our scopes track vertically and perpendicular to the axis of the bore. IOW, does it track straight up and not up and left or up and right.

So, following the advice above, the process looks like setting optic eyebox is the initial task. Prone, bench, barricade. If they all allow good eye relief and sight picture, then the rest is just preference. In the end, it looks like I'll just torque the BA into my stock, then head to the range to finish setting up the scope mounting in accordance with proper visual cues through the various positions available. Once that's done, balance seems to come next, followed by LOP. I'm thinking setting LOP first on the barricade, then prone. Everything else should fit at that point.

As far as balance goes, a WCGC just in front of the magwell, and good to go? That seems from my observations where everyone runs their rifles off barricades, without a bipod.

Anyone see any issues with this as a process for getting things where they should be prior to "getting the feel" or imprinting the fit into my practice? All of the input so far has been appreciated, anything further is welcome. Hopefully I'll get tracking on the stock soon.

If I had my druthers, I'd have the balance point as far in front of the magwell as possible. If the balance is let's say 2" in front of the magwell and you're on a Shmedium (or any other size really) longways, you're giving away like 6-8" of stable surface in front of that balance point, if that makes sense. Phrased another way, your balance point in this hypothetical would be well to the rear of the bag if you're on it longways, when you'd rather have it as centered as possible. It's easier to plop the balance point onto the bag and not cram the magwell into it (if, say, you were broadside on the bag) in my mind than it is to ALWAYS have to cram into the bag, but I'd be curious to hear if others feel differently.

Reactions: Kanwhitetails
Further information, if it matters; I'll put up the build list of major components - to see if there's something else I should add or if something may raise a flag on compatibility.

Impact action in a MCS-TCS stock.
Bartlein MTU, 26".
Kahles 6-24.
Gen1 Gamer plate.
Atlas BT10 with RRS arca/picatinny thumbscrew clamp.
EC Tuner Brake.
I use a Schmedium and full size Gamechanger.

I spent a lot of time on my first PRS style rifle, which is a trainer by the way. I used calipers and what have you, and saved every single measurement. That went into a spread sheet. From there on, with every rifle that I bring on line I know exactly what to do. I take all the measurements for the new bare rifle, plug them into the spreadsheet and then make the new rifle the same as my original trainer. Eliminates all of the scope fitting crap and LOP. Below is the sheet for setting the scope in PDF format. All red numbers are calculated.

Attachments

• Badrock 6mm ARC Scope mount Measurements.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
So, following the advice above, the process looks like setting optic eyebox is the initial task. Prone, bench, barricade. If they all allow good eye relief and sight picture, then the rest is just preference. In the end, it looks like I'll just torque the BA into my stock, then head to the range to finish setting up the scope mounting in accordance with proper visual cues through the various positions available. Once that's done, balance seems to come next, followed by LOP. I'm thinking setting LOP first on the barricade, then prone. Everything else should fit at that point.

As far as balance goes, a WCGC just in front of the magwell, and good to go? That seems from my observations where everyone runs their rifles off barricades, without a bipod.

Anyone see any issues with this as a process for getting things where they should be prior to "getting the feel" or imprinting the fit into my practice? All of the input so far has been appreciated, anything further is welcome. Hopefully I'll get tracking on the stock soon.
You need to set your lop before you worry about Eyebox. For the rifle to you then mount the scope. Move the scope to fit you not you got your eye /head to the scope. Changing the lop can dramatically change the dynamic of your Eyebox to eyeball celebrity on face shape.

Step 1 for your stock /chassis to you. This includes setting your desired lop, i along with the majority of guys these days are setting it lop from a non-prone position since it tends to be a it shorter. Back of a chair, railing, counter top, tripod. pretty much anything can be used to do this. Make sure you are comfortable and it's repeatable.
Step 2 mount your scope. Be in position and move the scope to you, not your face to it. Don't crane your neck, head hunt ect. You should be able to drop down onto the gun on the way you set it up and get a clear sight picture. If you can't then continue to Adjust until you acheive this. I do all this from my living room and use a neighbors white garage door that's ~100yds away but really just the clear sky can work fine for this too.
Step 3. Adjust the balance, since you have a tcs this is easy to do with the arca weights and rear spacer weights. Other times you may need to pull the barreled action to install on some which isn't a big deal since you haven't zerod yet anyway.
Step 4 go to the range and begin your dope gathering.