• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What kind of rear support do people use when shoot for best group size?

thexman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
I am wondering if I want to have the best stability to shoot for minimal/best group size when doing load development, would it be better use the rabbit ear style rear bag which used commonly in F-Class/brenchrest?

If yes, the way to adjust the aiming point, would be moving the rear bag forward or backward to lower or rise the butt stock with a bipod in the front?

Thank you.

EDIT:
Would be shooting in prone most of the time. The goal is to get minimal group size shooting load development rounds.

Last edited:
depends how you shoot

i know guys that do load development slung in (high power)..because thats how they compete

i use a gamchanger because that's what useful in the comps i shoot

If i was shooting fclass i'd use a totally different setup

Too many loose ends to get a consensus.

It will definitely depend on what you are shooting, what platform, and what position you shoot from.

Shooting off a bench will have a different answer than shooting prone.

Also what kind of stock that is on the rifle matters a lot.

IMO the question needs to be sharpened up a lot.

Reactions: b6graham
depends how you shoot

i know guys that do load development slung in (high power)..because thats how they compete

i use a gamchanger because that's what useful in the comps i shoot

If i was shooting fclass i'd use a totally different setup
Mainly shooting in prone. Just want to make sure during load development, I can get the least movement from rear support so it would have least side movement during recoil.

Reactions: Goggins
Too many loose ends to get a consensus.

It will definitely depend on what you are shooting, what platform, and what position you shoot from.

Shooting off a bench will have a different answer than shooting prone.

Also what kind of stock that is on the rifle matters a lot.

IMO the question needs to be sharpened up a lot.
Thanks for replying.

Basically I want to have a rear support, I don't have to put a lot of effort to control during recoil, which I thought the rabbit ear bag might be a good choice when I am shooting for load development and any precision shooting like F-class.

For now, I am using MDT ACC chassis with bag rider so I thought the rabbit ear bag could help in my case as long as I direct the recoil backwards and the rabbit ear style bag would require least shooter involvement, also help me direct the recoil back?

My go to bag is a full size weibad fortune cookie. It's very versatile. For my 10.5" and 9" rifles I can throw it over the ledge on a trailer or buggy or really anything and put the foregrip on the bag.

I also use it as a rear bag for prone type shooting with other rifles. It works really good in that way as well. You can orient the bag flat or standing up as well as you can squeeze it to give more rear elevation.

Unless you just want a collection of bags I would say you need to narrow down what type of shooting you want to do. For me I won't buy a bunny ear bag because it doesn't fit with what kind of shooting I normally do.

Reactions: KenCS and thexman
I use a pint size game changer or the sticky OG depending on which stock or chassis I’m shooting. I did remove quite a bit of fill on the OG

Reactions: thexman
A protector rabbit ear bag will most likely give you the most stability if it works with your stock/chassis.

I also have an MDT ACC with a bag rider. When doing load development, I use the same gear I would use on the clock, a Game Changer, and I do it prone with a bipod. I want the gun to behave the same way during load development that it's going to act when in a match.

I bought a protector for a varmint Bench rest league shoot. Very pleased with it.

20220529_202141.jpg

Mainly shooting in prone. Just want to make sure during load development, I can get the least movement from rear support so it would have least side movement during recoil.

Go big or go home

Large dog-gone-good front bag and wiebad mini cube.

Gonna be hard to beat a bag like the above Bigfoot paired with an SEB Neo or Mini.

So much so, that if I see someone claiming to be able to notice things like primer seating depth, but they are using a bipod and squeeze bag, I typically write it off as a reliable source as they just aren’t using equipment that can be consistent enough for that type of small detail.

And of course the ransom rest @308pirate linked will be in a similar category.

You can obviously shoot well off a bipod and squeeze bag. But over time, the human factor will show up.

this is at the top of the list for stable rear bags. It is used primarily by F-Class shooters. If you are not into F-Class, go with a a lighter bag for a wider field of use.

View attachment 7901566
One caution to my recommendation of this bag. I expect Seb designed this bag with the Neo and Joypod in mind. Both have joysticks for getting your reticle back on target after a shot. I have this bag and the joypod and they work excellent together. However, this bag is like a rock. It does not squeeze and moving it to achieve windage alignment is a chore. If you like to make adjustments using your rear bag to get your reticle back on target between shots this bag won’t work. you will be forced to muscle your front rest to regain crosshairs back on target.

Last edited:
One caution to my recommendation of this bag. I expect Seb designed this bag with the Neo and Joypod in mind. Both have joysticks for getting your reticle back on target after a shot. I have this bag and the joypod and they work excellent together. However, this bag is like a rock. It does not squeeze and moving it to achieve windage alignment is a chore. If you like to make adjustments using your rear bag to get your reticle back on target between shots this bag won’t work. you will be forced to muscle your front rest to regain crosshairs back on target.

You're not wrong about the heavy bags currently in vogue being non-squeezable, but... many guns have a slight taper to the toe of the butt stock. You can do some fine-adjusting of the elevation by sliding the gun forward or aft in the bags, and the taper will raise or lower your point of aim ever so slightly. Many front rests, even before joystick controls became the norm, have a windage adjustment knob that will move the whole top over one way or the other. Usually a very narrow range, but like I said, many rests *do* have that feature. If you're trying to shoot FTR style, i.e. with a bipod and one of those big heavy rear bags... well, it doesn't take long to get adept at nudging the gun/bipod one way or the other ever so slightly. Often times sliding the gun back and forth on the rear bag helps speed this up. As an aside... when I first tried messing with a joystick rest, maybe 12-15 years ago, my rear bag was *not* one that was heavy nor packed like a rock. Drove me nuts, because after every couple shots, I'd run out of range with the joystick and have to readjust the coarse elevation adjustment on the rest. Turned out the bag was settling under recoil. Had to 'pound it in' after setting up in position to compact the sand to minimize any subsequent settling. Fun times.

Go big or go home

Not where I thought you were going. I wonder what Crane (Weapons Station) would think of that rig. Newer than their's and lighter.

When you said "Go big or go big or go home" this popped into my head.

Last edited: