• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What large format AR?

Ulfhednar15

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2022
PRNJ
Hi all. So I'm looking to get back into long range shooting and am wanting to buy an AR10 type rifle. I think I'm going to go 6.5 Creed as my other "long range-ish" gun is 6.5 Grendel, and would be nice to have come bullet overlap for reloading. I'm looking at the LMT MWS and the JP lrp-07/ lri-20. I'm thinking LMT as I have one of the MRP rifles in 556 and love it. Plus the ability to swap in a 308 bbl is very nice. Also I have a lot of JP parts on my rifles and they are very nice and high quality. So, what so you guys thunk? Pros/cons? Other rifles I should be considering?

Thanks!

Larue Predatobr is also a switch barrel and has 6.5 and 308 bbls avail. Whatever platform you’re considering, make sure it comes with a high pressure, MP bolt if using with 6.5 CM.

There have been several like-kind threads started recently. Do a search if you haven’t already, lots of good info…

I think you are looking in the right direction. In my personal collection, I have LaRue, LMT and Knights Armament for 7.62 gas guns. They all perform about the same. I am not sure I have a favorite. I personally enjoy military correct rifles, and then helped to build a company around that theme, so LMT and KAC are near to my heart, but I love my LaRue. I have no experience with, but have heard great things about Seekins and JP Rifles. One day, maybe I will own one or sell a few, but right now, we are busy with clone rifles, so the three brands will do well for you, and you will pay for it, in money and wait time.

I have a KAC SR25 and FN Mk20 (and Mk17 and Mk16 SBR's for that matter...) The SR25 is really nice, especially with the factory QDC can. The quality is just obvious and it has that "feel". The Mk's ain't AR's but I'd consider them for 7.62 options and you can change barrels really easy on one. For a 7.62 with 13-16 inch barrel the Mk17 is hard to beat. Reliable, compact and lightweight. Leave 'em stock and don't fuck with 'em and they're all performers. The HK 7.62 would be another good option.

All are ambi, KAC is rear charging, FN is side charging. FN 16/17 has piston and collapsible/folding/adj. cheekweld stock, solid single stage trigger worth leaving as-is for what they do, 20 has one of the best factory adj. stocks. Both SR25 and Mk20 have great 2 stage triggers. If you made me pick between SR25 and Mk20 my shit would literally crash --I probably couldn't give either up. And 16/17 both earned their spots in the safe.

SR25 and Mk20 both available in 6.5, can get uppers for SR25 and barrels for Mk20 (at least in theory you can --FN is notorious for promising barrels and parts and such and not coming through-- haven't looked for one so can't say for sure about availability). I never adopted 6.5 so all my junk is 7.62.

KAC and FN mags both are quality, so there's that too. KAC mags may be best factory 7.62 AR mags, period, FN are basically redesigned FAL mags to fit an AR-esque lower so those speak for themselves.

Mk16 is 5.56 but worth honorable mention, if for no other reason than the fact you can actually modify the Mk17 with a 5.56 upper for essentially the same rifle --but the availability of kits? Can't say. PMM may have 'em. Somebody did last year but I can't recall who.

But if I were to get another rifle today, it'd probably be the Sig Spear --probably for no other reason than it's the new infantry rifle and that blue cord in my closet just demands it. Figuring on maybe even selling my DTA .50 kit with Elite can and USO 5-25 to fund/make room for it! Only fired it a couple times anyway. That 6.8x51 looks like a real badass load too, especially coming from a 13"bbl. If it ends up being like other Sig rifles then they'll probably have a 7.62 upper sooner or later if they don't already. It ain't cheap though. Double the cost of an SR25 or Mk20 (factory SBR and suppressor but still...) Fully ambi, side and rear charging handles, collapsible and folding stock.

I have beaten this whole thing to death multiple times in my shooting career.

I have an LMT MWS now so I can change barrels on it to 308. Thats the only reason I have it. The JP rifle is the highest quality of them, like a nice Ferrari.

I'm not saying its better, but when you look at their machine work you wonder if the thing was even mass produced at all instead of being a bespoke item. My JP and MWS are indistinguishable as far as results down range. The JP charging handle is very nice, and everything feels like butter.

Neither are prone to jams. The JP adjustable gas is better for suppressed use - I had to put a BRT EZ-tune in the LMT to get it to really be happy suppressed.

You’re headed in the right direction . Hard to beat a JP LRP-07 for Craftsmanship, durability, and accuracy. Top notch.

Also…Code: 68SS0717 will save you 5% on complete JP rifles or 10% on JP parts at JPrifles.com

My JP LRP-07 in 6.5CM
0DC6AF66-C5DA-4D53-87C5-C469E31036B7.jpeg

Reactions: tnichols
Both are great. Like was said previously, throw Seekins in the mix. You could build a 2nd 308 upper for similar’ish cost to add 308 to LMT
IMO for $2600’ish you absolutely can not beat Seekins.

Both are great rifles, the JP will have the edge in accuracy and customer service. I've had some issues with a LMT MWS in the past and I can honestly say their customer service was just a huge pain in the ass, I had to take my issue all the way up to the VP of sales to get it resolved.

That being said I've also had to have a couple things addressed by JP, but after a 10 min trouble free phone call I had new parts sent out next day, and that's what makes the difference.

I'm an aero pleb but would go LMT if I liked the platform enough to spend more money on it.

My only advice is don't screw with a can unless it's purpose built for low back pressure.

Reactions: endlessgroove