• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what length should i trim to?

avd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
ho, tx
i used a sinclair chamber length gage insert to measure my chamber length. I did it three times and got the same number each time which is 2.043". So what length should i trim my cases at?

Thanks again,

avd

Re: what length should i trim to?

I know a LOT of people that trim to factory spec. I also know several people that trim to their chamber. If you are loading for more than one rifle, you need to either trim them all to the book, or mark the different length rounds. For my bolt guns I trim to the chamber length -.005" to -.010" This will keep your chamber throat from burning out as fast. But if you trade rifles or take the wrong box to the range, you may be up the creek until you get everything figured out.

The trimmer I'm using basically is a Wilson design. But my trimmer was all ground from bar stock and has a micrometer head on it. I can trim PPC cases or 300 WinMag to +/-.001"

If you're shooting a worn out chamber, it may not do you any good to trim to the chamber length. But if you have less than 2,000 rounds you may be able to extend the life of that chamber a little.

Good luck.

Thanks again victor. I am only loading for one gun for now.

avd

I think the instructions said to subtract .024 on 30cals, where that number came from IDK, call Sinclair and and ask them to be sure.

I am with Victor on this one.trimming to your chamber works great.and as he has stated it helps the throat area out.me just .005 back from what my chamber is.