• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What LPVO for my AR?

Gameyelf

Level 1 Dark Lord
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2017
Orange County, CA
Really flip-flopping on what optic to go with, I'm up in the air between a NF NX8 or Vortex Razor-e. I can get the NF for right around $1300 after shipping and the Razor for right around $1100 after shipping. I plan to put the optic in Geissele 1.93" mount.

Both are great, but very different.
Do you want sfp or ffp?
While the razor is definitely daytime bright, the nx8 is MUCH brighter.
The NX8 is also shorter and lighter, but the razor is easier to get behind imo (ymmv)
Both are very well made and have nice good enough glass.

2 questions.
Where did you find the nsx for $1300? That is a great price?
Why the 1.93” mount? NV?

Last edited:
I can get it through work for that price. With the 1.93 mount, I found that acquisition was faster and more intuitive. Wasn't my rifle though.

I have a Gen2 and a NX8 w/ capped turrets. For the same price I'd chose the NX8 all day. (Reasons such as Dot brightness, FFP, weight, magnification, mag ring) At the price I bought them at ($700 vs $1400) I can't say the NX8 is twice the optic.

Would I grab the rifle with the NX8 on it every time vs the vortex? Yes.

I have a Gen2 and a NX8 w/ capped turrets. For the same price I'd chose the NX8 all day. (Reasons such as Dot brightness, FFP, weight, magnification, mag ring) At the price I bought them at ($700 vs $1400) I can't say the NX8 is twice the optic.

Would I grab the rifle with the NX8 on it every time vs the vortex? Yes.

You got a razor for $700?! Please point me in that direction. :)

Reactions: hypno02
It's narrow, but not bad. I don't have a problem snapping the weapon up and NOT searching around.
I would go with the NX8, with capped turrets if you're able to, but that is just my preference.

Reactions: hypno02
I prefer caps on LPVO's because once its zero'd I'm not dialing anything. If i could remove the turrets I would haha.

Ahh gotcha gotcha, in the future we'll have super reliable auto zeroing scopes with QD mounts and unlimited elevation and windage. I wish the future was now though.

It’s not that the nx8 is hard to use. It’s that it’s hard to use compared to the raxor2. I’ve never used a magnified scope that tracks as quickly and easily as the razor, though there are many that I have little/no experience with.

Is the NX8's eyebox really narrow? Seemed like a common complaint in reviews.
I do not feel like it is. I own one, and have owned a MK6, K16i, and VCOG, among others. NX8 is my preference. YMMV, and I'm sure other's will too.

Throughout my time on the range with my nx8 and g2 I don’t feel the eyebox on the nx8 is a hinderance at all. Is the 1x fov much better on the razor? Yes.

I feel as if many often confuse eyebox with fov.

To me it’s like comparing a compM4 to a micro. In the end it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
I always want capped or locking turrets on a lpvo. It’s going to be on a hard use rifle and I don’t want them to get bumped. 90% of the time it’s going to be a point-and-shoot rifle (0-300yds) and even when it’s not you’re going to need to walk them in with a 5.56 if the conditions are anything less than perfect.

I’d do anything to have the mk6 turrets and mk6 reticle in a nx8. It’d be the end all be all lpvo for a 556 rifle on the market. (My opinion of course)