• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what magnification for what range?

NordicG3K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Southern Oregon
Over the years I have come to the opinion that most people buy more magnification than they need. So, just out of curiosity, what maximum magnification do you feel is optimum for the following ranges?

100 yards
250 yards
500 yards
750 yards
1000 yards

Re: what magnification for what range?

depends on the intended target more than distance in my opinion.

I prefer the least amount of maginification to see the target clearly. I am using a 5.5-22x scope, so anything less than 800 yards, I just keep it around 5.5x. For 800-1200 yards, 8-10x. For 1500 yards and beyond, I use about 16-18x depending on the size of the targets. Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer the least amount of maginification to see the target clearly. I am using a 5.5-22x scope, so anything less than 800 yards, I just keep it around 5.5x. For 800-1200 yards, 8-10x. For 1500 yards and beyond, I use about 16-18x depending on the size of the targets. Hope that helps. </div></div>

Sorry, I forgot to dial your scope back down and left it at 17X yesterday. Thanks again for letting me take a few with the AW!

Any time bro. Still working on the schedule for the get together. Hey good luck this Sunday.

I guess it depends on what scope I'm using. I'll go up to 20x for shooting longer than 600 yards if I'm running a scope with than magnification. If I'm using my 4.5-14 I typically keep it around 12x or go up to 14 for longer than 500 or 600.

That being said, I'm a rookie to the long range shooting thing. I used to shoot a lot of pistol stuff where there was obviously no magnification, and I just really enjoy making the target big in the scope. I'm sure lots of more experienced opinions will chime in.

Joe

My rule of thumb is that I want the target to appear no more than 100 yard away through the scope, but not closer than 75 (in order to not lose too much FOV). Perhaps as close as 50 for a target ID situation or perhaps a surgical/precision type shot. Hitting something very small, rather than aiming at a center of a torso.

Therefore, 1,000 yards 10x is fine. 500 yards, 5-6x

My basic scope (I have 4 of them) is the Tasco Varmint/Target VAR624X42M, which retails under $100.

For walkaround it's set on the lowest power (6X), to allow quicker target acquisition on quick shots.

When time permits, I adjust magnification upward as much as mirage will allow. Under 500yd, the max 24X is seldom a problem, and in heavy mirage, I usually end up with around 18X at 1000yd.

I figure it's better to have the magnification available and not need all of it, than to need the magnification and not have it available.

Greg

I have always found that 1x for every 100 yard increment has allowed me to successfully target any man sized object. So I am good with my 17x SN3 out to a mile. Some of us will never get to shoot beyond that or have the ability to compensate for all the variables involved in doing it, so for me only having 17x is not an issue.

I guess I will be the odd-man out.

If I am trying to shoot 1/4" dots at 100 yards I dial it all the way up to 17x.

If I have to shoot multiple tagets distributed over a wide area at 800 yards, then I might dial down to 10x or lower. At night I run the magnification pretty low because I need the largest exit pupil I can get and still ID the target.

It's all about what you are doing at the time and the size of the target. With a variable, you can go with some massive top end power. With a fixed power scope, I like 10x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I will be the odd-man out.

If I have to shoot multiple tagets distributed over a wide area at 800 yards, then I might dial down to 10x or lower. At night I run the magnification pretty low because I need the largest exit pupil I can get and still ID the target.

It's all about what you are doing at the time and the size of the target. With a variable, you can go with some massive top end power. With a fixed power scope, I like 10x. </div></div>

Then we can be the odd-men out because I would agree with everything you stated, not that me agreeing or disagreeing means means a whole hell of a lot. How's the SN3 treating you?

Well, I'm not even close to being in the same league as most of you when it comes to long distance shooting. I don't think I've taken a shot over 400 yards. Most of my shooting is done at less that 150 yards, probably with a majority more in the range of 75 or so.

When I started out hunting I had a 3-9x because that's what everybody used. From there I went up to 14x or 16x variables, but now I find myself completely satisfied with 2-7x and 1-4x scopes for most of my shooting (again, at 150 yards and less). I just purchased an IOR 2-12x for my 6.5 Grendel build not because I wanted to crank it up to 12x every time I go out shooting, but more because I wanted to be able to take full advantage of the Grendel's ballistics potential should the opportunity every arise.

I appreciate all your input. I'm a newbie distance shooter and I've learned a lot just from reading your posts. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I will be the odd-man out.

It's all about what you are doing at the time and the size of the target. With a variable, you can go with some massive top end power. With a fixed power scope, I like 10x. </div></div>

Then we can be the odd-men out because I would agree with everything you stated, not that me agreeing or disagreeing means means a whole hell of a lot. (snip) </div></div>

no odd men, unless I'm one. I actually traded off my SN3 17X for more power. Some comps I shoot have diabolicly small targets and even the 4-16 S&B crowd were having a tough time.
The only difference is that I like 16X fixed power scopes.