• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What magnification range for 500m-800m?

What magnification range for 500m-800m?

• Supersniper 3-15x

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Vortex 6-24x

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Bushnell 6-24x

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
I am lost on what scope to get for my .308. I have narrowed it down to 3, I think. My main question is: Which magnification range do you think would best suit a .308 shooting 500m-800m? Currently I only have one other scoped gun, and it has a 10x on it. I would obviously like a bit more, and am looking at the 3-15x SWFA, the Vortex 6-24x, and the Bushnell 6-24x. All 3 are FFP. All 3 have different reticules (MilQuad/EBR1/G2). And without being able to get behind each I am having a hard time deciding.

Is it worth the $200 jump to go from the SS 3-15x to Vortex/Bushnell's 6-24x? Between the Bushnell and Vortex which do you think would have the most longevity for a newish shooter that does a lot of backpacking with his gun?

Or should I spend the $700-1,000 budget and try to find a higher-tier used scope? Maybe stretch it to a 3.5-21 Bushnell HDMR, or a SS5-20x / Razor HD5-20x?

Last edited:
It entirely depends upon your specific needs and what you're shooting at. If it's often a backpacking rifle, weight and size is something to be aware of. Ounces add to pounds very quickly that will be felt soon. I have SWFA 5-20 on a few of my rifles and USO 3.2-17 on other that I'm shooting your included ranges along with a little further.

Give a few more explanations of your needs will help everyone to narrow down your decision based on needs.

My nearest decent range is 500m, with 3-5 steel plates at every 100m. At 500m there is a small plate about 6inches, and 3 silhouettes. I am only able to make it to this range once a month or so.

I take backpacking trips 3-5 times during the spring and summer, which are all focused on shooting. I am in the complete open wilderness so I can shoot at any distance I want. I usually take a bunch of brightly colored balloons with me for light weight targets that are easy to carry back out. A few ounces here and there really dont make a difference for me, last trip I carried my AK, 900+ rounds, my glock and 200 rounds. A few ounces more on a scope is not a make or break deal.

I am also relatively near SacValley's 1,000yard range, but it would be a 4ish hour drive, one way. So I wont make it there very often. But they have classes I would like to take to really get some skills honed. I don't know if my rifle/load will stretch out that far (AAC-SD, 175GR SMK HPBT + 44gr Varget), I will find out this summer when Iget it out backpacking.

I am kind of leaning towards the Vortex, it was originally what I was going to get, but then the new SS 3-15x came out, and I found the Bushnell (which I like the reticle, but it lacks features the Vortex has).

I am just curious why every vendor I see has the Vortex 6-24x FFP MRAD at $950. There is no price difference whatsoever.

Last edited:
It's called MAP or minimum advertised price. They can be had cheaper with a phone call to the right stocking dealer.

Really depends on what you want to hit. If you want to shoot ISPC targets then you don't need all that power. You will find that the lower magnifications are just fine for large targets like that. If you are trying to hit eggs at 300 you will want more zoom. The Russians were eating up the eastern front with 4x scopes. The overemphasizing of magnification is detrimental to certain disciplines. I learned this a while back when I found that for field shooting without a bipod just using a sling, the lower magnifications are preferable all the way out to 600 yards. If I were only going to shoot without a bipod I would go with a 4 to 6 power scope and probably a 10x max. Your mileage may vary.

I would take a vortex over the others listed. It has a zero stop, light weight, and positive clicks. In my opinion they are great budget scopes, but I do think the clarity could be better. There are going to be trade offs with the price range you are working in. For the range you are shooting a 4-16 would be more than enough (assuming 50%-100% ipsc size targets). A 10 power would be plenty, but the 16 will help you read mirage.

Bushnell has really great scopes!!! Get the DMR reticle and have at it. Also I don't think you really need something that is more than a 15-17x. I use 15x max on all my shooting out to 800m and anything past that, I just call in CAS.