• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Magnum Has the Best Barrel Life?

shtiggins

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2020
What magnum, with factory brass, from short action to CIP mag compatible, has the best 'barrel life'? The barrel will be swapped once groups get above .5 moa.

The weakest one has the best barrel life

Why be concerned with barrel life? It costs way more to burn out a barrel than it does to replace one.

Pick a bullet you want to shoot. Pick the cartridge that will shoot it at the speed you want.

Barrels are like tires. You wouldn’t put a smaller motor in hotrod to save tires.

Care to explain why you care about barrel life in a magnum so much? I think this is subjective. Are we talking each caliber strung out to the max? Anything can be backed off and last much longer than the usual.

Let me start by asking you a question.

How many rounds do you foresee you shooting through it.

secondly, what do you plan on shooting with it.

I personally would built from there.

But I dont know much so...

Care to explain why you care about barrel life in a magnum so much? I think this is subjective. Are we talking each caliber strung out to the max? Anything can be backed off and last much longer than the usual.
I am not going to explain. Why has nothing to do with it. I want only to compare the barrel life of magnum cartridges, the reason is irrelevant. I find it slightly entertaining that people on forums feel the need to chime in on why they think the question and poster are wrong for asking instead of answering it relevantly. I also find it slightly entertaining when people act as though the poster of the thread must bend to the will of those who reply. If you have relevant information about the question in the post, please answer. if you feel as though you must inform me why I am wrong, knock yourself out. But just because I am asking a question, and you replied, does not mean you are owed anything. the entire point of forums is for either questions to be answered or discussions to take place. i am not asking to have a discussion about why someone should or should not care about barrel life. I am asking what magnum has the longest barrel life.

It may not be appreciated but it is 100% correct

Maybe we need a bit more info to get you pointed in the right direction

What range do you want to shoot, do you reload, are you wanting an otc rifle or full custom, are you wanting 1500 rds of barrel life or 3000?
this comment is also not appreciated.

It is not 100% correct as it is not an answer to the question. i do find it amusing that you would assign a percentage to how correct you think your opinion is. the information you're asking to get me 'pointed in the right direction' is not relevant.

there exists a magnum cartridge, with factory brass, from short action to CIP mag compatible, with the best barrel life. that is what i want to know.

do you have any idea what cartridge that might be? if you do and you share that information with me, then i will probably appreciate it. if not, your comments remain not appreciated.

What are you considering?

I mean i’ve heard 300 WM is hard on barrels, i’ve also heard norma 338 and. 300 are hard than 338LM and 300 win mag.

I agree with some of the above posters, more information would help isolate an answer unless you want something from .22 to .50 cal.

What are you considering?

I mean i’ve heard 300 WM is hard on barrels, i’ve also heard norma 338 and. 300 are hard than 338LM and 300 win mag.

I agree with some of the above posters, more information would help isolate an answer unless you want something from .22 to .50 cal.
when you say 'more information' do you mean something like 'short action to CIP mag compatible'?

What magnum, with factory brass, from short action to CIP mag compatible, has the best 'barrel life'? The barrel will be swapped once groups get above .5 moa.
300wsm, good brass will cost you as much as barrel but throat erosion is usually at a minimum. Drive a 215 Berger at a pretty good pace but don't expect to win any ELR matches with it.

Reactions: Nivium
magnum is simply a term used to sell cartridges. It’s not a type of cartridge or anything else.

If your asking about a short action cartridge with the name magnum in the name then I’d recommend a 338 wsm

Typically the wider the caliber and the less powder it burns the better the barrel life will be, there are no short cuts to long range

Have you even ever burned out a barrel in your life?

I had a Mike Rock barrel on my 300wm go 5440rd before I replaced it. Sent it back to Mike an he said it still had life in it. The first 1.5" of the rifling was gone but it still shot 1/2 moa.
Mikes full report was on here in late 08,... load was 75.8gr's of RE-22 pushing a 190SMK lite with a CCI 200 using RP & Win brass both.

OMG!
Is this really happening?

giphy.gif

I am not going to explain. Why has nothing to do with it. I want only to compare the barrel life of magnum cartridges, the reason is irrelevant. I find it slightly entertaining that people on forums feel the need to chime in on why they think the question and poster are wrong for asking instead of answering it relevantly. I also find it slightly entertaining when people act as though the poster of the thread must bend to the will of those who reply. If you have relevant information about the question in the post, please answer. if you feel as though you must inform me why I am wrong, knock yourself out. But just because I am asking a question, and you replied, does not mean you are owed anything. the entire point of forums is for either questions to be answered or discussions to take place. i am not asking to have a discussion about why someone should or should not care about barrel life. I am asking what magnum has the longest barrel life.
What you basically asked is,"Which race car gets the best gas mileage?"

Then you made it even worse (and funnier) by getting fucking indignant about it.

I feel like OP feels entitled to his question and if anybody makes a comment he doesn’t agree with it’s not ok. I agree this is a bear pit thread as it could get ugly quick🤣

how about a 22 mag? Oh wait that was a question. 22 mag...there no longer a question.
There are a lot of people here with experience and the questions are asked in order to tailor to your question. Narrow down the white noise and somebody can provide you a suitable answer...maybe. I don’t think anybody is trying to yell you that you should or shouldn’t either. Your question comes up as so broad and vague that you portray yourself as a little new...hence the questions and other guidance if you will.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Dude joins SH today and already has an attitude and starts shit with very knowledgeable people asking necessary questions to get him an informed answer. He sounds to me like someone who doesn't really want information... I'm forecasting a MOA v. MIL thread in his near future.