• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what major should i go to? Need some opinion

vietboy1st

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Boston, Mass
hi, i am currently in college in my 2nd semester soon. I am not sure what i want to study. My two choices are finance major or criminal justice major... I have no idea. On the other hand, i want to become a gunsmith. I Had tried to join the Army to serve as small arms repairman 45b i believe. but I got D.Q becausei failed the hearing test on my right ear. And Army didn't want to give me a waiver for it. So I need some idea what major i should pick.
I was thinking about become a US marshall, or ICE agent or a crime sence investigator. But i am not sure yet.
For finance i think i might get a job working in an office all day long....
I just need some opinion and idea...
Thank you very much.

Re: what major should i go to? Need some opinion

If the recent recession hasn't clued you in that going into finance isn't a good idea, I don't know if anything will.

Criminal justice is alright but don't expect to make a ton of money and government agencies such as DEA, FBI, US Marshal Service, ICE, and any I've not mentioned have a very strict hiring policy.

That means, you need to have a spotless background because they can and will dig up anything and everything about you, right down to visiting with anyone you've ever known to find out what kind of person you are.

Best of luck!

Accounting opens some doors to law enforcement careers. My wife's cousin has been married to a career FBI agent who was hired, once he had his CPA, as an auditor.

DEA was looking for Accounting and Finance majors when I graduated in the late 80s.

I chose Construction management...

My ex has majored in accounting, minored in business... IRS hired her right out of school... then the FBI tried to get her to come over from the IRS

If you flunked the hearing test for the army you might have problems passing the hearing part of LE.

AS to LE, CSI, or crime scene investigators; there are two types. The lab tech and the one who processes the crime scene. Lab techs are just that, Lab tech. The one who processes the scene are officers. Like SWAT, EOD, K9, they dont hire SWAT EOD or K9 and make them cops, they hire cops and make them SWAT, EOD and K9. Same with LE CSI.

Check around CSI lab techs don't make squat. It ai't like tv where NY CSI leads the SWAT guys on raids, going in the door first.

Might be different some places but thats how it works on departments I worked for.

AS to major. The first cirteria if feeding your family. I try to stir my kids toward the trade schools. Over all I think that's where the money is.

FOX news's Job Report had a deal last week where there was a huge shortage of machinest. They pay fairly well, plus, you indicated that you would eventually get into gun smithing. That would be a damn good place to start.

+1 on what kraigWY said about machinists. There are so many of them retiring and no one to fill the positions. You can make good money in the aerospace industry as a machinist and it's great job security.

learn how to operate and EDM machine and waterjet you'll be a superstar.....

Go for a degree in Mathematics, science or technical field, criminal justice degree doesn't help as much when going into federal law enforcement.

Do something in health care....never a downturn and you can make some really good money.

electrician, optician - no heavy lifting and there is always demand for proper electronics and glasses. you can do that until you get very old without wearing out your joints/back/muscles etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do something in health care....never a downturn and you can make some really good money.</div></div>

^^^ This is also a very good idea. No matter how bad the economy gets, the need for healthcare professionals will increase as people live longer than previous generations. I'm working on my RN and plan to do travel nursing when I graduate because a person can make crazy money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do something in health care....never a downturn and you can make some really good money.</div></div>

^^^ This is also a very good idea. No matter how bad the economy gets, the need for healthcare professionals will increase as people live longer than previous generations. I'm working on my RN and plan to do travel nursing when I graduate because a person can make crazy money. </div></div>

And by crazy money he means the hospital you go to will pay you $50/hour and pay for your apartment and utilities. You are guaranteed 40 hours a week.

Go to law school. You will learn the rules of your society. How could you go through life without knowing the rules of your own society? Federal law enforcement is good. You get a a step increase or go up a GS level ever year. Lots of special pay. You get a better and earlier retirement than almost anyone else. Twenty years and fifty years old and you free. But with a law school degree and bar membership you will have few equals and go right to the top (which means you'll be doing long tours in DC, which suck). And with a J.D. and bar membership you will be in high demand after you retire.

Your post made me think of my own Federal LE career, and I have a few other benefits to mention: you get cases from your supervisor, but you get to work your cases on your own schedule. So its kinda like being self employed. Two hundred free rounds per quarter to be proficient at quarterly pistol quals and some really great pistol, shotgun, rifle, and full auto firearms training (depending on what all you sign up for). I remember some training that a guy fired so much ammunition so many days in a row that everybody had bandages on their hands. lol. SRT opportunities. Thrift Savings Program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do something in health care....never a downturn and you can make some really good money.</div></div>

^^^ This is also a very good idea. No matter how bad the economy gets, the need for healthcare professionals will increase as people live longer than previous generations. I'm working on my RN and plan to do travel nursing when I graduate because a person can make crazy money. </div></div>

And by crazy money he means the hospital you go to will pay you $50/hour and pay for your apartment and utilities. You are guaranteed 40 hours a week. </div></div>

Another vote for the health care field. Whether that's actually taking care of patients or working within hospital/clinic management, you can't go wrong in health care with all the baby boomers prepping to retire.

If owning your own business is part of your plans and you feel you have what it takes to do it then you MUST have some accounting capabilities. Many a business has suffered because despite having good products, production they let their cashflow management slip.

You can get your machinist quals in school and self-study for your managerial accounting. A good grounding in managerial accounting will help you run your business. Also, if you get your chartered managerial accounting you can open a business that would allow you to service multiple firms as their management accountant - it's good money if you can market yourself. If you focus as a management accountant to machinist firms then you can carve out a nice niche for yourself.

Good luck.

If I could do it all over again, I would have done biology followed by med school...

Really the first question you should ask yourself is "What location would I be willing to live in for this field?" Location is critical because even an occupation like healthcare can be difficult to find and keep a job in depending on location. Seriously 50-70 miles could be the difference between no job and ANY choice of jobs (personal experience).

Next, go to a reference site/book like OOH (occupational outlook handbook) and see what the expected growth for the job/career is.

Finally know your strengths and weaknesses and apply them to your career choice. I could go on and on but if I had one final bit of advice it'd be do your research thoroughly (not just a gun forum) and get some connections. It really is about who you know, not what you know. Unless you graduate top 1% in your class then first jobs can be tough.

Also get involved in extracurricular activities. Not sports...for example if you wanted to go into computer design then join a design club, enter competitions, join a fraternity chapter in computer design, internships, co-op, ect. I wish I had done that.

And don't party too much. I graduated number 69 (there a bouts) out of 369 students in high school. At minimum I know 20 of those who graduated higher than me failed out within one semester and even more by their second year. Anyway good luck!

Yes. Money is not a big thing for me. I am not too crazy about the money. I rather work at a place where i enjoy it. I hate working in an office. I like to travel around and see new things. I wouldn't have to go to college if I were rich. then i would open my own store and sell firearms accessories and gears only for a good price. But i don't have that type of fund to do that... Yeah, i have 3 months to think before the deadline and will do more research on it.

If you still would like to work in Finance being in an office all day isn't mandatory.

There are many openings for eager production and cost analysts to work for manufacturing companies.
Its actually tough to find good accountants who DON'T want to just sit at their desk all day. When we find them we hire them.

It's an option in that field as an FYI.

BS in mechanical engineering
Masters in Business Admin

FBI is looking for people with accounting degrees....don't go CJ unless you want to teach. Anything is better than CJ.

If you have to ask a question as to "what should i do" than leave out any position or organization that would put you in charge of something. I personally look for someone when hiring who can think on their own.

Its a rare person these days that can wipe their own ass without asking how. Try to be the guy who watches and learns rather than the guy who expects someone else to do for them.

I have a degree in Economics. Most people end up taking an Economics course at some point and hate it. They struggle. It sucks. But I got a degree in it, which must mean I'm smarter then them. That's 90% of why I got it and it seems to have served its purpose. It gives me smart points with other people who have been to college without lumping me into lab/geek status.

You have to realize a Bachelor's is pretty worthless unless you have aspirations for a gov job. Otherwise you'd be better served with a tech degree. Or taking the time to save and learn a trade.

If I had it to do over again. I would have gone Poli Sci and spent more time with more girls.

I retired at age 55 from a career as a Physician Assistant. Since I prefered rural areas, it was perfect for finding a job, since rural areas have a hard time recruiting people to move there. my wife is a country girl, so we had a joint focus.
I could live where I wanted to (mostly away from large cities) and retired early and had the ability to negotiate a larger salary since I was willing to move there in the first place.
If I had to do it over again at that level I would be a Physical therapist. Not only are hospital having a hard time to recruit good PT's to rural areas, they by law HAVE to have a PT on staff. They can't do like they can with their dieticians, and have them run a circuit, visiting 10 or 15 hospitals per month on a rotating basis, they have to BE there every day. The PT's can practically name their conditions, price and relocation. Carte Blanch. Approximately the same amount of school, and a guarenteed job after paying some dues at a larger facility.

There is one thing about all this advice: No matter what job field you get into, the diference between merely having a job, and having a career that makes something of your life is YOU.
If you are what I call a "Hotshot", you will excell. If you are middle of the road, well, that is where you will stay.
In medicine, the "Hotshots " often have a job before they get out of clinical rotations. The Docs, the Charge Nurses, the HR all hear about that "One guy" who has it together. they come looking for that guy, and ask them to come to an interview. They also hear about the idiots, and bottom of the barrel people. The guys looking for jobs after graduation are going to be like that ALL their career.
Each time I went back to school (Paramedic, PA, and every single ACLS class not taken at my own facility) I got a job offer before the course was over.