• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What makes a barrel shoot better before cleaning?

shawn_40312

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2005
Beattyville, Ky
Seems that after cleaning all of the copper out of my barrel, it takes 15 to 20 rounds before my shots tighten back up. I will shoot between 1/2 and 3/4" groups after a good cleaning but once i get a few rounds thru the barrel, my groups will tighten up under 1/2" at 100 yards. Is it just me or is it the barrel?

Shawn

Re: What makes a barrel shoot better before cleaning?

some people think that a dirty bore is tighter, makes a better seal on the bullet. i can see that. but i don't know personally. i don't get much change on mine. others do.

i can see a differance in vel from clean to dirty so maybe it has some truth to it.

justin

I clean between benchrest matches, so everytime I go to the line I fire three foulers on my sighter target before I start to shoot for record. It is not unusual for even the highest quality barrels to take a couple of shots to settle down after cleaning, but 15 to twenty rounds sounds excessive.

Is yours a factory barrel? A factory Rem. barrel often has many imperfections in the rifling. These can and do collect copper/fouling, which can smooth out the "bumps in the road" so to speak. Just look at the borescope video that Lilja has on their website (or YouTube) to see what I'm referring to. A match barrel--well, I'm not sure I can answer that one.

I could see that especially in a factory barrel. In a custom tube things are much smoother, so the first couple shots probably still deposit some copper and smooth things out, along with removing any lube/rust prevent etc. that might be left in there. On a factory barrel the same thing may be happening but since the tool marks are much rougher it may take longer. It's not a huge change so it's very possible.

I have a browning abolt 06' that looks like someone drug a rat tail down the barrel but it shoots great, but I have noticed that it takes a few rounds to settle down after it's cleaned, I wouldn't say 20, but more than 2-3.

Not to hijack the threat with a controversial product but the tubbs final finish if it's a factory tube might smooth out some of those tool marks and reduce the number of rounds you have to fire to get it in the sweet spot, along with making cleaning easier. I wouldn't expect any major grouping improvement.

Re: What makes a barrel shoot better before cleani

Here is the typical groups that i am talking about before the barrel tightens up:

And here is six shots after the barrel warms up a little after putting rounds downrange(the flier is my fault so i shot another round):

Rifle is a Blaser R93 LRS2 in 308. I cleaned ALL copper fouling out before the shooting session. I am happy with groups that are under 1moa but happier if i can shoot groups that are under 1/2." Even with this mystery, it is still the best rifle i have ever owned. The groups were shot with Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr.

15-20rds wow! expensive barrel! hehe

Something is wrong if that's the groups you are getting of of a Blaser LRS. Have you checked the the allen screws that on the bottom that hold metal into the stock (not just the 2 barrel screws that attach the barrel) and all other scwews, scope etc? I have shot many thousands of rounds thru a Blaser LRS II and never seen a group like your first.

I do not clean to bare metal ( I use to but no more )a couple of wet patches followed by dry patches most of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something is wrong if that's the groups you are getting of of a Blaser LRS. Have you checked the the allen screws that on the bottom that hold metal into the stock (not just the 2 barrel screws that attach the barrel) and all other scwews, scope etc? I have shot many thousands of rounds thru a Blaser LRS II and never seen a group like your first.

I do not clean to bare metal ( I use to but no more )a couple of wet patches followed by dry patches most of the time.
</div></div>

I checked the barrel screws and it seems that one of them were slightly loose (it was snug but not tight) so ive tightened it up as well. Im not sure if the barrel break in period is even over with as i purchased this slightly used from another member which stated there were 60 rounds fired.

One of the causes of after cleaning issues is with the residue of cleaning solvents left in the bore. If any oil is present that can take a dozen rounds to shoot out. Before a range session, clean the barrel completely dry with a non-residue solvent like acetone or brake cleaner...why waste ammo shooting that stuff out.

Other than that, with the exception of carbon removal there is no need to strip the copper out of the bore every time you clean, only when necessary when accuracy declines for no other apparent reason...200-500 rounds is fine.

Also, do yourself a favor and <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">never</span></span> put a Teflon bearing product in the bore.

TC