• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What makes a scope good in your opinion?

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
I’ve been going through the process of sorting through all the many scopes out there to find the one I decide is right for me. In my case I’m looking for a scope that I can use from 100 yards to 1000 yards when I go shooting just for fun. I’m not a competitor, and I’m not on a team where peoples lives are depending on a single shot from my rifle. I shoot for the fun of shooting and I try to keep my rifles where I could use them for the range and for the hunt.

**Disclaimer: I’m not trying to upset anyone, but I’m just trying to get a better understanding of optics and how best to pick one for the uses I mentioned above.

What are the “must haves” that people look for?

#1) Repeatable adjustments for elevation & wind.
#2) Reasonably clear optics.
#3) At least 50 MOA of vertical scope adjustment.

What else is or could be a must have?

The things that would be nice to have in my mind are:

#1) High magnification variable power. Something starting in the 4x to 6x range and ending in the 18x to 24x would be nice for close and far away.
#2) Illuminated reticles. I know it’d be handy for low light (early am, late pm) shooting, but don’t they really just get used because they look cool.

Options I don’t really understand why some guys get so critical about.

#1) The type of turrets. Do you really need loud clicks, seems like any click is a good click if you can hear it. Do you really what big fat turrets that can get bumped a few clicks if you ever had to take the rifle out to the field? I kind of like the scopes where a cover can be screwed over the top of them to protect them from the elements.

#2) First Focal plane. This is something new to me that I’ve been reading about. Personally, when using a variable power scope I’ve always keep it on the lowest setting at 100 yards and then maxed it out for anything past that. Wouldn’t that eliminate the need for FFP for any practice shooting use?

I know this list is incomplete and I’d like to ask you all to fill in some areas of what you “must have” and “like to have”. So far, I’ve gotten by without spending a bunch of $$ on optics. I’m not opposed to spending the money on a good scope either, I just want to know more about why I should.

Re: What makes a scope good in your opinion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teddy12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I’ve been going through the process of sorting through all the many scopes out there to find the one I decide is right for me. In my case I’m looking for a scope that I can use from 100 yards to 1000 yards when I go shooting just for fun. I’m not a competitor, and I’m not on a team where peoples lives are depending on a single shot from my rifle. I shoot for the fun of shooting and I try to keep my rifles where I could use them for the range and for the hunt.

**Disclaimer: I’m not trying to upset anyone, but I’m just trying to get a better understanding of optics and how best to pick one for the uses I mentioned above.

What are the “must haves” that people look for?

#1) Repeatable adjustments for elevation & wind.
#2) Reasonably clear optics.
#3) At least 50 MOA of vertical scope adjustment.

What else is or could be a must have?

The things that would be nice to have in my mind are:

#1) High magnification variable power. Something starting in the 4x to 6x range and ending in the 18x to 24x would be nice for close and far away.
#2) Illuminated reticles. I know it’d be handy for low light (early am, late pm) shooting, but don’t they really just get used because they look cool.

Options I don’t really understand why some guys get so critical about.

#1) The type of turrets. Do you really need loud clicks, seems like any click is a good click if you can hear it. Do you really what big fat turrets that can get bumped a few clicks if you ever had to take the rifle out to the field? I kind of like the scopes where a cover can be screwed over the top of them to protect them from the elements.

#2) First Focal plane. This is something new to me that I’ve been reading about. Personally, when using a variable power scope I’ve always keep it on the lowest setting at 100 yards and then maxed it out for anything past that. Wouldn’t that eliminate the need for FFP for any practice shooting use?

I know this list is incomplete and I’d like to ask you all to fill in some areas of what you “must have” and “like to have”. So far, I’ve gotten by without spending a bunch of $$ on optics. I’m not opposed to spending the money on a good scope either, I just want to know more about why I should.
</div></div>

the only relevant question is...can you hit w/ it?

For me it’s about the clarity especially in low light and lens coatings. Unfortunately that’s where the cost is. Must hold zero as well. All the other features are just sugar on top.

Any scope is only as good as the rings you mount it in.

I would think that you would be happy with something from Leupold or Burris. But as much glass as you can afford. You will not ever regret it.

Durability...Clarity...the better you can see the better you will shoot. Just ask a trap shooter if hed rather break a score in the sunshine or a dark overcast day?

Large turrets rule!

FFP...how are you going to range if your rangefinder takes a dump?

1. Repeatability
2. Durability
3. Clarity

In that order.

If it can't hit repeatably, then it's not worth going on the gun. If it can't hold up, then you can't rely on it.
If you can't ID the target, then you can't hit it.

All the other fancy crap is irrelevant without the three mentioned above.

A while back someone, I want to say it was Ninehotel, made a great statement about scopes.
It was something like: "If you forget about the scope in the process of shooting with it, it's a good scope." ...or something like that, but more poignant.

That's how I feel when using my USO SN-3.
I have not yet become that comfortable with my SN-4, but I can tell that day is coming soon.

FFP can play a part in this since power setting is not relevant to holds or ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teddy12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

#2) First Focal plane. This is something new to me that I&#146;ve been reading about. Personally, when using a variable power scope I&#146;ve always keep it on the lowest setting at 100 yards and then maxed it out for anything past that. Wouldn&#146;t that eliminate the need for FFP for any practice shooting use?

</div></div>

I'm not really following you here. If you want to be switching powers, then ffp is really helpful because if you go from the lowest power to the highest power frequently you can always use your reticle for ranging and holds and not have to recompute how many mils or moa is between each hashmark or dot as it always stays the same. It's a feature that makes your scope more versatile and user-friendly, but plenty of people get on fine with a sfp scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Repeatability
2. Durability
3. Clarity
</div></div>

I agree. I was planning to post the same thing, LoneWolfUSMC already summed it up though-

Shawn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Repeatability
2. Durability
3. Clarity

In that order.

If it can't hit repeatably, then it's not worth going on the gun. If it can't hold up, then you can't rely on it.
If you can't ID the target, then you can't hit it.

All the other fancy crap is irrelevant without the three mentioned above. </div></div>

Yup!!
Fancy crap is nice when you have it, but an amazingly clear sight picture in low light situation, you know the kind-where the quality of your glass allows you to have depth of field in the shadows-doesn't mean jack shit if your point of aim and point of impact don't match.

If I can't rely on the adjustments in a scope it has just become a $XXX paperweight, because if I find it don't track right I won't even sell it to someone.

As for all the other considerations you mentioned (variable, clicks, reticle, etc)-spend a few hundred hours reading the optics forum of this site. Start with the optics FAQ, take notes, bookmark pages, ask questions. You will see trends develop about what kind of gear works well for people that shoot various ranges often.

Oh, and no ringmarks. As ratbert pointed out in another thread,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When the dust collects in the safe, it very clearly collects differently on the ring marks than on the unaffected parts of the tube. This causes the camera flash to reflect funny and can completely ruin a perfectly good tactical photo. If you've never noticed this then you clearly aren't letting your rifles sit undisturbed in their safe long enough. Only the complete novice still feels the need to remove his firearms from the safe and handle them in some way. The real operator can quite easily go months or years without even thinking about touching them before removing for a photograph or to sell.</div></div>
wink.gif

Now, I'm curious about what scopes you all would recommend.

I've been considering:

Nikon buckmaster 6-18x mil-dot
Weaver Classic V 6-24x mil-dot
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x mildot
SWFA Super Sniper 20x
Millet LRS 6-25x

Feel free to pick these scopes apart and say what you do and don't like about them.

Exactly what LoneWolf said.

I do think it would help to clear up a few things for you though:

1: I actually would recomend a minimum of 80 MOA vertical. You may not plan on shooting past 600 or whatever now, but if you buy a good optic, you will want to use it for a long time. Eventually your situation may change and you will want to shoot further.

2: Totally a personal choice, I like variable power for it's veratility. Don't get sucked into the "bigger is better" mentality with magnification. With a good scope you would be surprised what you can see and hit at 10x. That being said, your range of mags is reasonable.

3: Although most find that they do not use a lit reticle much, it is handy to have. So you know, I find them the most useful not in low light situations, but if your target is dark. If you have a black reticle and a black (or really dark brown) target, you can lose the reticle. There are not many things in nature that are bright red or green. I do agrre however that although nice to have, this is low on my list of features needed.

4: Yes, I want loud clicks, I also want tactile click (you can feel them). It's nice to not have to look at your turrets to drive the scope. I also like fat, short turrets. They don't get in the way and their range of adjustment is spaced better. Caps suck! If you are in the feild and get a shot at 800 yards, are you going to have time to un-screw your caps and make adjustments? A good scope does not need exposed turrets to be protected from the elements.

5: FFP is definitely a benifit. It is not a necessity, and I personally prefer SFP. But, if you are not familiar with your scope (and ranging in general) a FFP is the way to go. You can range at any power, one less thing to think about. The down side (to me, anyway) is that the reticle thickness grows with the target. I like to be able to get it more precise if I want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teddy12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

#1) At least 50 MOA of vertical scope adjustment.

#2) High magnification variable power. Something starting in the 4x to 6x range and ending in the 18x to 24x would be nice for close and far away.

#3) Illuminated reticles. I know it’d be handy for low light (early am, late pm) shooting, but don’t they really just get used because they look cool.

#4) The type of turrets. Do you really need loud clicks, seems like any click is a good click if you can hear it. Do you really what big fat turrets that can get bumped a few clicks if you ever had to take the rifle out to the field? I kind of like the scopes where a cover can be screwed over the top of them to protect them from the elements.

#5) First Focal plane. This is something new to me that I’ve been reading about. Personally, when using a variable power scope I’ve always keep it on the lowest setting at 100 yards and then maxed it out for anything past that. Wouldn’t that eliminate the need for FFP for any practice shooting use?

</div></div>

Do a search of each of your options. There is a ton of info on these scopes available here. I would also add a Falcon and a WOTac to your list to research.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teddy12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now, I'm curious about what scopes you all would recommend.

I've been considering:

Nikon buckmaster 6-18x mil-dot
Weaver Classic V 6-24x mil-dot
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x mildot
SWFA Super Sniper 20x
Millet LRS 6-25x

Feel free to pick these scopes apart and say what you do and don't like about them.

</div></div>

Out of what's been brough up so far what would be some recommendations?

I know this is mostly personal preferance, but I'm curious about what you all think. I'd just like to keep the cost down to $500 or less give or take.

I totally agree with LoneWolf as well. You cannot do anything without repeatability. If your shot moves from shot to shot clarity means nothing either. So to me duribilty is hand in hand with repeatable shots