• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what makes a trigger go "tits up".....

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
I have an old remington 700 trigger. IT is out of a CMP 40x. I tuned it years and years ago and it was a pretty consistent 2.5lbs pull for over a decade. ITs been in one action but with different stocks and different barrels and has been awesome. Now, seemingly suddenly, it has a 5lb pull weight. I thought maybe something had loosened up so I adjusted it back down to 2.5lbs. Unfortunately, it won't stay there and it is fluctuating on almost every pull between 2lbs and 4 lbs....

anyone have any ideas???

Have you ever cleaned it? Could be a lot of things. He could be wear. If the two sear surfaces are worn beyond their surface hardness, that will create inconsistency. Sometimes those parts will be hard chrome steel, and the chrome will flake off.

i'd start by giving it a bath with this stuff. Just hose it down liberally and allow it to dry. Re-adjust the trigger, and then go shoot. I'd also caution against running the over travel adjustment to close

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ro...021241-product

probably wise to back the adjustment screws all the way out, especially the pull weight screw, and make sure there isnt a bad spring.

Last edited: