• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What makes the Vortex Gen 3 6-36 worth $1300 more than the Bushnell XRS3?

Slick66

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Cumming, Georgia, USA
I am looking for something to put on a 6CM RPR to try out precision shooting. Having read that I should spend at least as much on optics as the rifle I was looking at the Bushnell XRS3. I haven't spent much time behind higher-mag LR scopes, so I was just wondering what benefits I might get for spending $1300 more on the Vortex?

WHat specs or features should I be looking for that are worth paying extra for?

Start around 26 minutes for a comparison between the two.

Around 32 minutes for the 2nd vid.

Reactions: BenW
Ive looked thru the bushy and thought it was pretty nuce for the money but the g3 is damn close to the alpha scopes imo. Have a g3,zco, and a tangent all next to each other looking at the same thing. The g3 wasnt as good but not far off either. I need another scope and im struggling with buying another zco or a g3

Gap should be significantly lower than $1300. Find the Liberty Optics thread in the classifieds section, and reach out to Scott. Its worth your time, if you can wait on delivery.

As with all scope purchases, look thru both. If your eyes tell you the delta is not worth the price difference, then go for the cheaper one and stick with it.

A word of advise. Lots of folks go for the “value” route, only to upgrade further down the line - which always end up costing more than if one had bought what one had desired initially anyways.

Reactions: Stoweit
The Gen 3 Razor is basically an all around upgrade. Better image quality, better turrets, wider FOV, and illumination. That said, the XRS3 is no slouch, the the elite tactical line has a reputation for great tracking. It really comes down to how much you want to spend. I currently run an XRS3 and it's been great, I've used it out to distance several times and I've yet to think it was at all limiting.

Reactions: YotaEer
The decision between the two scopes will depend on your specific needs and budget. If you are looking for a high-quality long-range scope and are willing to spend the extra money, the Vortex Razor HD Gen II is an excellent option. However, if you are on a tighter budget, the Bushnell XRS3 is also a great choice that will provide excellent performance.

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated.

I guess if illumination isn't something I think I need, the difference between feature sets narrows a good bit. Or is illum somthing I will want, even if I don't think I need it right now?

One notable difference is the weight. The razor is a tank like it’s predecessor.
For me the Bushnell was a better choice. I have top tier glass, but can’t justify top tier glass on all my rifles. On the used market, the Razor is nearly double cost of the Bushnell. This makes it an easy choice for me.

In years of shooting matches and hunting, I have never needed illumination. I wish more companies offered non illuminated optics.

Reactions: airborne_trooper
Or just just a Burris XTR3i and have the illumination too if you need it. I promise the scope won’t hold you back.

The Burris also has the race dial option which has gained me far more points than alpha glass would.

The gen3 can be had for 2k from a certain hide sponsor, with a onX subscription you can get the xrs3 for around 1300$, they're both excellent buys at these prices, and arguably the best glass to be had at these two price ranges, well a cronus btr competes favorably as well in that 1300$ bracket. The gen3 is a better scope, but the bushy is no slouch, it won't hold you back. I just don't care for the reticle, g4p is very spartan, the other is WAY too much.

The Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 is well worth a look also. Glass is as good if not a hair better than the Gen 3 and good all around features. The reticle is excellent for holds too.

The Burris Pro also in that price range.

Reactions: 264win
The gen3 can be had for 2k from a certain hide sponsor, with a onX subscription you can get the xrs3 for around 1300$, they're both excellent buys at these prices, and arguably the best glass to be had at these two price ranges, well a cronus btr competes favorably as well in that 1300$ bracket. The gen3 is a better scope, but the bushy is no slouch, it won't hold you back. I just don't care for the reticle, g4p is very spartan, the other is WAY too much.
Where is the G3 6-36 $2,000?