• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what maks an SRB a SBR?

Captain Moroni

Well armed easily annoyed
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2007
Pocatello ID
www.highdeserttactical.us
ok I know a bbl under 16" but if the overall leanth is over 26" is it still an SBR? the reason I ask is that if you have a GSG-5p the pistol with the 8" bbl and put a fixed stock on it the OAL is 26.5" that is with out the flash hider so what is the deciding factor?

Re: what maks an SRB a SBR?

i think you got it right, but it doesnt specify pistol conversions;

(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

a friend who has a SOT sent me this about imported guns.

The atf now requires sbr's made after April 6, 1998 comply with the 10 parts rule as a new manufacture of a gun as a post ban sbr.

Installing a stock on a any pistol with a barrel less than 16" makes it a SBR. Or a
barrel on a rifle less than 16" makes it a SBR. OAL makes no difference in your case. The stock is the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure. now if the gun was made as a rifle from the start it would be ok right? </div></div>

If it was made as a rifle from the start then it would have a 16 inch barrel on it.

A pistol can have a 16 inch barrel but no stock, if it has a stock and is designed to be fired from the shoulder it has to have a barrel length grater than 16 inches, measured from the closed breach face to the muzzle of the barrel.

If the barrel is under 16" <span style="text-decoration: underline">OR</span> the OAL is under 26", it is an SBR. Either condition makes it an SBR.

If you put a butt stock on your pistol with a barrel shorter than 16" you will need to get it registered (trust, tax stamp, etc.). I wouldn't shoot that gun at any public facility. That is asking for trouble.