• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What MOA base do I need?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Using a 10/22 Tactical 16.5" tapered barrel, w/ Primary Arms ACSS 22LR 6x on a Hammers 1 inch Low Height scope rings and some aftermarket picatinny base that's the same height as the stock Ruger one. Ammo used was CCI Standard loaded one by one into the chamber.

Was able to get consistent shots out to 300 yards once I found my hold, but ran out of elevation for a center dial at 200. At 100 I had about 19.5 - 20 moa left. I can get away with my rings for a little longer, but suggestions are appreciate too. What MOA base would I need if I want to still be able to dial in at 50 on the end of my negative elevation so I have a lot of room for positive elevation? PA 6x has 50MOA of total elevation adjustment. Seems like a 30 or 40 MOA base may be the trick.

Edit: Forgot to mention my local range goes up to 600 yards. I'm itching to stretch out to 400 and 500. So far I'm getting real good at wind calls.

At 100y you have 19.5-20moa left, and it's about a 7moa up from a 50y zero, so you have about 25-27 moa left from your 50yd zero, so that means you can probably do a 25moa rail.
Last question too, if I can't find 25moa, would 30moa still work since I do plan on reaching out to 500 or at that point might as well look at new rings and an optic?

You should get a new optic if you're looking to shoot that far. Something with like 120moa.
Gotcha, so safe bet is 20 - 25MOA base then opt for new rings and an optic to fill in the rest of the MOA gap so I can dial in at 50y while still being able to reach out further. Thank you :)

I'd say 30 moa rail and 34mm+ tube ifn you want 500 with standard velocity.

Reactions: SkepticalTiger
I'd say 30 moa rail and 34mm+ tube ifn you want 500 with standard velocity.
I do plan on getting a new optic, but later on. Just pushing myself with what I have and keeping costs low. Only reason I'd still want to be able to center hold at 50y is so I have a way to establish zero based on my DOPE cards.

Yes. You will be able to with your scope probably but you will be on the optical edges of your scope at both end. I think. Which is less than ideal. And I 'm sure you will run out of dial and reticle at 400+ and be holding mid-air. At 440 with a 30 rail and 30 tube, I am using virtually all 10 mils of reticle when dialed to max magnification. You can dial out and shoot larger targets... I still have a good picture at 50yds.

I run 20MOA bases on mine, and from my 100 yard zero, it only requires about 5 to 5.2 MILs to pinwheel the 200 with CCI SV subs.

Yes. You will be able to with your scope probably but you will be on the optical edges of your scope at both end. I think. Which is less than ideal. And I 'm sure you will run out of dial and reticle at 400+ and be holding mid-air. At 440 with a 30 rail and 30 tube, I am using virtually all 10 mils of reticle when dialed to max magnification. You can dial out and shoot larger targets... I still have a good picture at 50yds.
Makes sense, will go with an EGW 20MOA rail since it's easier to find 20MOA rings than 10MOA if I opted for the 30MOA base. Other bases suggestions are fine.

Edit: either i counted wrong or my scope dials are a bit off near the end but noticed I had to dial down 21 MOA from max UP to return for center hold 100 yards. That or could be the wind / temp too.

I use 20 moa bases and Burris XTR Signature with 30 to 40 moa in the rings. I have Vortex Strike Eagle with 31 mils (110 total moa) in scope. I can dial to 500yds with a 50 yds zero.
How much adjustment does your scope have?
Mark

Reactions: Tortuga
I use 20 moa bases and Burris XTR Signature with 30 to 40 moa in the rings. I have Vortex Strike Eagle with 31 mils (110 total moa) in scope. I can dial to 500yds with a 50 yds zero.
How much adjustment does your scope have?
Mark
50moa total lol. It's a cheapo primary arms acss 22lr scope I bought in 2015 that they replaced in 2021. Decent scope when I got it.

I wouldn't cut it too close on the numbers, not all scopes reticle and zero are in the theoretical center of the elevation total.

Ask me how I know.

Burris XTR signature rings allows you to adjust in 5moa incriments up to 45moa so you can squeeze every last bit of elevation out of your scope.

That scope is not intended to be dialed other than zero. And its zero is set for 25/50, hence the ballistic drop reticle calibrated to .22lr. And what .22lr ammo? Subsonic? Hot? Likely averaged for all ammo. If you attempt to dial the scope for distance, your center reticle may be correct but the rest will not be accurate for bullet drop. I also have the same scope for use on my 10/22.

With that, you need a scope with a reticle that is not bullet drop calibrated in either MIL or MOA and is designed to be dialed for distance. Althon has many great scopes in price ranges from cheap to sort of expensive. And you'll likely need a 50-60 MOA base to dial to 600 yards, depending on the overall travel of the particular scope you use.

PA6X32-22LR_09.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jLorenzo
Makes sense, will go with an EGW 20MOA rail since it's easier to find 20MOA rings than 10MOA if I opted for the 30MOA base. Other bases suggestions are fine.

Edit: either i counted wrong or my scope dials are a bit off near the end but noticed I had to dial down 21 MOA from max UP to return for center hold 100 yards. That or could be the wind / temp too.
When you look for a scope, look at the SWFA SS. I have a 20X. Super scopes, they have 110 moa or 30 mils total adjustment.
Mark

Reactions: learjet
50moa total lol. It's a cheapo primary arms acss 22lr scope I bought in 2015 that they replaced in 2021. Decent scope when I got it.
If you want a nice budget scope, the Arken SH4 scopes have TONS of travel. And pretty damn nice glass for the money. Their tracking is precise, too. The 6-24x50 has 32 MILs (108.8 MOA) of adjustment, and has a 34mm tube.

Just a heads-up, but if you are looking to buy soon...Their prices are increasing TOMORROW (3/16/22), so today would be the best day to buy.

Reactions: SkepticalTiger
That scope is not intended to be dialed other than zero. And its zero is set for 25/50, hence the ballistic drop reticle calibrated to .22lr. And what .22lr ammo? Subsonic? Hot? Likely averaged for all ammo. If you attempt to dial the scope for distance, your center reticle may be correct but the rest will not be accurate for bullet drop. I also have the same scope for use on my 10/22.

With that, you need a scope with a reticle that is not bullet drop calibrated in either MIL or MOA and is designed to be dialed for distance. Althon has many great scopes in price ranges from cheap to sort of expensive. And you'll likely need a 50-60 MOA base to dial to 600 yards, depending on the overall travel of the particular scope you use.

View attachment 7828040
I don't really use the bullet drop all that much, maybe for higher velocity like minimag, but otherwise I use the 200 bdc mainly for wind holds at 200 and 300 which works very nicely. I estimated the MOA from the 200 mark to the center dot is about 20ish MOA as well.