• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What moa targets are used in 22nrl/prs type competitions?

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I recently picked up a cz457 and am wondering what size targets are used for the 22nrl/prs type comps. I currently shoot center fire prs type comps but have access to 200-250yards close to the house and would like to use the 22 for practice when I don’t want to drive 45 minutes to my long range spot.

What size targets should I pick up? And for what distances?

Thanks

0AAA8C7E-3764-47BC-BAD5-BFE7731E31D0.jpeg
From JC Steel. I have no affiliation but should give you an idea of the sizes.
The steel I have for practice is sized from 1” to 3”. I set it up usually at 100 for a quick and easy session.

Reactions: lash and Baron85
That’s a perfect start up package from JC Steel I need to get one

If Id set up a stage everything inside of 100 yds I’d go with 2 MOA and after 100 yds I’d make them a 4 MOA

Good info. Maybe theY will have a 4th of July sale. Looks like a great starter set

Reactions: lash
The target kits are great....to start. You will want a few more stands and circles unless your strictly adhering to the 100yds and in format or just 5 NRL22 stages. If you want or plan to add stages or do the "Option 2" which may or may not be supported by the basic kit....order more from the start.

I like to make stages with more than one or two targets on it personally. I also like the non standard targets (gophers, rabbits, racoons) or the targets with movement (Movers, spinners, snake charmers)....they make a day more interesting.

Another thing that usually supports the standard kit well is expanding the number of paddles on the KYL....paddles that go up to like 3 or 4 inches in 1/2" increments make the KYL usable much further out.

And the basic NRL barricade list is good. Don't skimp...pick up all that junk as it pays big dividends to train on the actual crap they use. And its cheap.

Reactions: RedDawn and lash
Not sure what the NRL barricade list is but will look it up when I get home.

Currently I have 2 55 gallon drums. Multiple ladders, tripod and a tank trap that we build and practice barricade work on.

We shoot on public land so don’t want to spend too much time setting up but typically we try for atleast 4 different distances and usually have a few of those distances with a big and small target.

Most of our practice is working on building positions and transitioning quickly and effectively, I need lots of work.

I agree that the basic NRL22 set is a great to start, but here locally I’ve found that the individual and dual hangers are very short and get obscured easily in anything but low cut grass. As a result, I keep buying more and more Shepard’s hooks in 30” and 48” heights. Especially for the larger further targets. Like this:

1654479327442.jpeg

Most of our practice is working on building positions and transitioning quickly and effectively, I need lots of work.
Go on the NRL22 website and look up that month's course of fire before you ever go to the match. Some month's the required barricades is just one or two. Sometimes you might need 5 of them. Every range trip you won't need ALL of the barricade list. Often you can look at the COF and see which stages will be a hassle and which won't. And you can practice those harder ones.

If you plan on attending X matches....get practice shooting stages or taking 10-12 aimed shots with movement on the shorter 90 second format versus the regular 120 second format. Practicing the stages beforehand also helps you get a sense of pace of the stage. Some stages need good time management....others don't.

Also practicing will help you find efficiencies or maybe even a few tricky dicky ways to get some points easier. Just make sure if you have smarter way to shoot a stage....make sure its cool with the MD beforehand. Hate to have a stage thrown away because gaming was considered cheating.

Reactions: RedDawn and lash
I've got a variety of targets, a kyl that goes from 1/4-2 inches, good for 50 or a bit farther. Targets from JC steel, Xsteel, and cheap reactive ones from Do All and Champion. 22's aren't hard on targets. A couple smaller IPSC for out to 200-250. If they're bigger than 4 inches they're pretty easy to hit out to 150 if there isn't much wind and your rest is at all stable.

Good advise and tips guys thanks. Currently not planning on competing with the 22, just trying to get some easier, closer, and cheaper practice for my full size rifle.

I will say the bit I have played with it so far it is an absolute blast! I’m sure I will eventually give some 22 comps a try.1

That chart is exactly the kind of info I am looking for! Thanks B6graham

We also definitely go smaller than that out to 310y. And also as large as that at the same time. It’s about stage balance. Tough targets to challenge the best and easier targets to ensure that newer shooters get some hits.
yup.

1/4" KYL at 65-75'
2" IPSC between 120-140
4", bowling pin, sasquatch out to 200y
KYL down to 1" at 125-145y

wind at your range can be a major factor too. we shoot on a north facing 600y NRA range with minimal winds most of the time

For my PRS 22 matches I typically run 2-4 MOA targets depending on distance and the difficulty of the rest of the stage - time/prop/movement etc. 2-3 MOA on the closer stuff, and 3-4 MOA on the stuff beyond 200. Its a tricky balance to challenge the best shooters while not demoralizing the newer guys. I will also say that difficulty is highly dependent on your environment. My range always has wind, if you don't have wind that will make a huge difference.

Reactions: lash and b6graham
For my PRS 22 matches I typically run 2-4 MOA targets depending on distance and the difficulty of the rest of the stage - time/prop/movement etc. 2-3 MOA on the closer stuff, and 3-4 MOA on the stuff beyond 200. Its a tricky balance to challenge the best shooters while not demoralizing the newer guys. I will also say that difficulty is highly dependent on your environment. My range always has wind, if you don't have wind that will make a huge difference.
Very true. We don’t always have wind, but often do, and when we do it can change a standard stage into a very difficult stage quickly.

That’s when having some larger targets in the stage can soothe people’s raw feelings a bit.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer