• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What mount will just barely clear monolithic rail with 34mm / 50mm OBJ HDMR?

bp78

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
Central NC,USA
I like my AR scopes low, narrow head I guess.

What mount height will just barely clear a Bushnell HDMR 34mm tube / 50mm Objective on a monolithic rail / flatop? (Mega MKM setup) I don't run flip-ups. Only a neoprene scopecoat between match stages.

I'm leaning towards this one right now, the one piece Badger mount:
One-Piece Scope Mounts | Brownells
093-000-049WB Ring Mount 34mm 1.30" 20 MOA

I recently had my Leupold Mark 6 3-18X44 in a Larue QD LT745 mounted on an AR. This scope also has a 34mm tube, but as the name says, it's only a 44mm objective. The height at 1.5" was pretty good for me without a lot of adjusting and should fit with your 50mm Objective without a problem. I cannot comment on the Badger, as I've not seen had a chance to make a direct comparison, but as the advertised height is only .01" different, I would think the main difference would be the quick detach feature on the Larue. Due to the quick detach levers, I would imagine that the Larue is slightly heavier - all else being equal. The price difference looks to be about $10.00 retail.

Last edited:
Welcome to the hide Flyingdog5k. I'm well familiar with LaRue mounts and have a few on different setups. I'm not sure what 0.01" difference you saw, but the mount you discussed is 1.5" over and the Badger above I'm considering is 1.30", a more significant 0.20".

Based on the math from Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator that 1.3" Badger mount should easily clear my rail with the 50mm objective of the HDMR.

Was hoping for someone here knowledgeable to confirm that math though.

The American Defense ones I had were 1.38" to centerline and no problems with a 56mm scope objective. 1.3 should be just fine.

edit: measure the outer diameter of your objective lens and compare to be on the safe side but you should have a little under an 1/8th of an inch so room enough for butler creek flip ups.

The Larue LT807 is 1.375" above the rail, and the LT120 is even lower at 1.285"...if you want a QD.

In trying to figure out how low I could go fitting it over a flip-up was the issue, even the very low MBUS Pro. You'd be fine with the LT120.

Excellent. Thanks for the info and confirmation guys. I can't believe that LaRue LT120 is $54 more than their usual SPR mounts - roughly the same thing and less material to it.

The ring spacing is different, and I think it's more of a niche product, which means lower production numbers. Lower production numbers, higher cost.

I run a LT120 with my 50mm objective on my monolithic upper and it just barely clears the rail up front. So much so that I decided to ditch my Butler creek caps in favor of a modified Nightforce bikini cover. The butler creek fit, just not with as much clearance as I would like.

Thanks Håkan - I bought the 1.3" Badger unimount for my HDMR. One of these days I'll step up to a Spuhr mount and give it a try - they're just a little pricey in dollars still. :)

I have the American Defense Recon SL and it mounts on my LMT's with a couple mm to spare. Probably the tightest fit you'll find. I cannot fit the Bushnell caps on it this way because there is not enough room. You will also not be able to fit a BUIS underneath as there is not enough clearance.

Here are some images of the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 mounted in American Defense SL QR mounted on my LMT. These pictures show just how tight you can get this scope to the top rail. Be warned, mounting the scope this low does allow for better eye alignment with a standard collapsible stock; however, there is not enough clearance for a BUIS under the rear of the scope, for that you would want to get a rail extension or a taller mount. I just got my March scope and am selling this mount over in the accessories for sale forum.

20131019_LMT_Access_0002.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0003.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0004.jpg

20131019_LMT_Access_0009.jpg