• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What MTU Length barrel?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im putting a Krieger MTU barrel on a Mcmillan A-5 stock, .300 Win Mag, Remington 700 L/A , Badger bottom metal, Badger FTE muzzle brake, Badger USMC DMR scope rings, Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm scope, 20moa scope rail, custom paint job, Surgeon Bolt knob, Everything trued over but I just cant decide what size barrel to put on? Im kinda stuck on 26" with the FTE brake. Whats best? Im mostly going to just be doing long range target shooting with it. Im just going to be using factory ammo probly mostly Hornady 178gr. A-Max`s and Black Hills Match,(whatever shoots best) What Twist is best? I was thinking 1-10". I have everything for this rifle to give to my gunsmith to build it but I just cant decide on the barrel length and twist rate. Any help would be good.

Re: What MTU Length barrel?

I'm in the process of building a similar rifle. I'm going with the 10 twist because it will handle all of the bullets up to the 220gr smk's. 178 A-max should be like a laser out of that set up. I wouldn't go any longer or shorter than 26" with the 300WM. Shorter and you may as well have a .308, longer may make the rifle balance extremely nose heavy especially with the added weight of a brake.

For a 300 win mag I would go with a 1-10 just for utility. You should be able to shoot any of the heavy weights with that twist. As for length, if this is going to be a range gun and not a carry rifle for walking/hunting 26 or 28 would work well. If you want mobility, weight will come into play and a short barrel may be in order...

Go with the 26" 10 twist barrel. Had a few and they will work perfectly for the 300WM. Hell my 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle has a 28" MTU on it and it's not bad at all to move around with so a 26" shouldn't be a problem for you.