• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What needs done. 30-06 to 300RUM

cruizer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
NM
Is it worth the money to do or am I better off buying a new bolt or action.

I have a nice Rem 700 in 30-06 I have no interest in the 30-06 and would like to step up to the RUM.

Re: What needs done. 30-06 to 300RUM

The 700 RUM actions use a 0.750 diameter bolt and under the tenon threads have a "U" stamped in there.

The amount of work to make a 30-06 action "work" with the RUM is substantial and it's likely going to cost at LEAST as much as simply selling the 30-06 and going to an action designed to handle the RUM to begin with.

I could order you a 1 piece bolt from PTG with the appropriate bolt face.

Just a matter of fitting it and either rechambering/installing a new barrel at that point.

Bolts are $209.00 and custom fitted to the receiver bore of your action. lead time is 6weeks.

Chambering the barrel starts at $200. Add $50.00 for a fluted barrel.

Be glad to help.

C.

You'll also need to do some mill work on the receiver. The last time I tried to feed a 300 RUM through a 700, one that was originally chambered in 7 Rem, it wouldn't even fit through the feed lips.

Kombar - That's exactly what I ran into. Feed lips, feed ramp, and if you're going to a 750 bolt, the bolt raceway needs to be reamed to fit the larger bolt body too.

Run a DBM for RUM/WSM cases then the feed lips can be ignored and it will still function. The feed ramp has to be modified no matter how you slice it.

I've had two that used Rem 700 actions that were originally chambered in 7mm Rem mag.

One, nothing more was done than headspacing a new takeoff barrel. That one fed fine from the ADL magazine and nothing was done to the action to make it work as it should. Worked fine as a repeater, but I used it as a single shot due to the long throat in the factory chamber and resulting OAL of the cartridge. Played with it for a couple years until I was satisfied that the cartridge was worthy of a full build, then went back to the standard Rem mag on that action.

The second was a semi-custom on a Rem 700 action where a Wyatt's center-feed extended mag box was fitted, feed lips were opened slightly, but nothing else was done to the action or bolt outside of standard truing. Works just fine as a repeater.

No need for a larger bolt, feed ramp manipulation, etc. in my experience.

Edit: Since you'd need to open the face anyway to go from the '06 to a mag case head, I'd get a new bolt as Chad suggested, but stay with the .70x diameter to avoid more work on the action.