• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What next

Seems like a lot of headaches and work. I have 3 Savage’s I compete with. A 110 elite precision 6.5cm a model 12 BR and a model 12f class both in 6.5-284 Norma. All 3 shoot und 3/8” at 100 and .5 at 200 and 1” at 300. Yes some flyers from time to time. My brass prep is straightforward; clean, inspect and check clcase length within 2.160-2.170 (trim to 2.163 when required) size on Whidden FL bushing click adjustable with .091 bushing and .003-.004” shoulder set back with Lapua brass. Seat with a Redding comp die. I confirmed that my fired brass has outside neck .095 on all 3 chambers and loaded has .292 And I check concentricity of loaded rounds. All under .001” using Redding slant gauge. Load on a Lyman brass smith 8 turret press. (Some day I will get an area 419 turret press)

I was having similar issues and found the Whidden die to be the ultimate fix. My front rest below offered significant improvements over the Sinclair heaven varmint with windage top

I shoot off of a Farley gen 2 coaxial rest, 3” Edgewood bag and protektor bumble bee or flat DR bag (1.125 spacing for factory f class stock. 7oz trigger on all 3. Vortex golden eagle on BR and Nightforce Competition on f class. Yes the rest made a significant difference. But overall accuracy diff was from shoulder setback and neck size

My elite 6.5cm also shoots awesome when using Warne bipod and rear squeeze bag

I have found that savages do not like to be close to the lands. I use the COL listed in the hornady manual 2.880” which I recall to be 2.216 CBTO. i seat bullet and get the COL and then measure with comparator to get CBTO. I was told by savage to not push to the lands. Using ELDM 140g and 147g with either I4350 6.5cm H4350, I4350 or H4831SC 6.5-284 Norma

Personally you’re overthinking it. Consistency with reloads and practice. I also shoot every shot over a chrono every time I’m at the practice range. And have established loads with <7fps SD. SD will destroy groups

My digital scale moved accuracy 10 fold. When I see it dispense 5-8 grains of ball powder to equal a couple tenths of a grain, I see the balance scale not hardly move. Powder level is also key to consistency.
I used to wonder about that when I used the balance scale. I'd have a bit of an overload, use the tiny little scoop to remove 3-5 grains, then start tricking back in to bring it up to weight......and put in MORE that 5 grains to get there. Never did figure that one out.

Are you saying powder level in the weighing machine's reservoir is important? I've never picked up on that. Please confirm and thanks! I'm bad about nearly emptying it before adding.......just like gas in my truck!

My digital scale moved accuracy 10 fold. When I see it dispense 5-8 grains of ball powder to equal a couple tenths of a grain, I see the balance scale not hardly move. Powder level is also key to consistency.

I fill the hopper completely up every time

Dudes. It's not rocket science. I'm 51 and have been reloading for hunting for almost 25 years and for precision rifle for about ten (I typically shoot PR out to around 1200 yards max).

What I've discovered over this time is that my 25 year old $30 RCBS full length die and standard seater consistently get me half inch groups from my hunting rifle, if, and only if I do my part and maintain my fundamentals in loading and behind the rifle. Even the top tier shooters can't do it every time out, but if they take their time and produce consistent ammo with low SDs (verified by a Chrono) it will shoot. We are the problem most of the time, not the ammo or even the rifle. I used to check all sorts of data with wiz bang kit and have just discovered it doesn't make a big enough difference for 99% of shooters, with the exception of disciplines where groups are measured in hundredths of an inch, which PRS and hunting are not. Most of us don't need that sort of accuracy. If you do, I suggest go sub Erik Corrina's YouTube, he is not only an amazing shooter, but a great guy. He shoots F class and PRS, and walks through how these different disciples affect his loading process.

Work on your fundamentals, especially breathing and follow through, it's what we all should be doing.

BTW, I've never loaded or shot any Lapua or high end brass. Mainly Hornady for long range, rem and win for hunting. They do just fine if you load to your chamber's specs so you don't stretch it so much and get longer brass life. Is Lapua brass amazing? Of course. But if you don't need group sizes that start with a zero, I would just focus on developing a good consistent load with your basic handloading tools you have, verify it, and focus on your shooting. Truth is, you can probably hold your own against any of us behind a rifle when you focus.

Just look at it this way: the old timers must be doing something right when they can achieve the same results we do with one third the equipment in one third the time. It's how I started this awesome journey and after many years of going OCD on loading where I've finally ended up. It will save you lots of stress and money.

Happy New year and God bless to my SH family, I've always enjoyed this site and these brothers over the years.

Brett in Ohio