• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What not to do at the range :)

mickg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2007
Stony Brook, NY
The story:

a guys Dragunov would not load rounds.

So I looked at it. Well, I looked at a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">fired</span> UNFIRED, partially chambered (This is an edit, I am an idiot. Anyway, the fact that it is unfired should be obvious
smile.gif
). case. And I told him to stop trying to jam it in, as I saw the round that he was trying to push in did not have a rim. As it turns out, the store sold him 7.65x54 (I think Argentinian?).

Pictures:
side_full.jpg

side_view.jpg

base.jpg

He later went and got the proper ammo, and everything worked.

Re: What not to do at the range :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some people should not be around guns............</div></div>

+1

You never know what would have happened if he did fire one of those rounds. I am sure he would have a problem but what about the guys standing next to him. Not cool. It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone!

He could not have fired it, the bolt would not close.

The bullet diameter is 7.65, so it would not go in the bore far enough for the bolt to close. Hence the squished case.

The danger would be a slam-fire. Which on an open bolt is admittedly quite bad.

And as far as what would have happened if he somehow chambered it and did fire it?

Well, bullet would get stuck immediately, pressure would spike beyond the capacity of the case to withstand. At best a ruptured case, at medium a blown action, and at worst the bolt lugs would have failed and he would have the bolt ejected into his eye.

Always nice to know natural selection is still alive and well in our society...... Perhaps we have a chance after all.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

That would have been a very face removing experiance.
Its agood thing you noticed.nothing says bad day at the range like a rifle firing backwards.
removing someone elses fingers from your ears priceless..............

Ahh yes, kinda like the old story about American ammo fitting in Vietnamese rifles but not the other way around.
Had one gunshop commando bring his friends to the store, to show off apparantly. Explained loudly to them that this is why the Americans lost the war (ok so he wasn't bright at all.
I pulled out a .223 and a 7.62X39 and asked him to explain to me how either would work in the others chamber. He tried to backpedal and say it was "the other" American round...so I pulled out a .308 and asked again how it works....I even offered to give him the ammo to try (in his rifle)...he left soon after.
Point is, if you don't know enough about foriegn ammo or rifles, you shouldn't be shooting them! Also, the turd at the gun store who sold him the ammo should be talked too, ignorance in your field is unacceptable.

Oh, the clerk was talked to. He actually sold the gun and the rounds to the guy, so that's worse.

There is a difference between 7.62x54R and 7.65x54, and he was told of it.

With allusions of financial ruin if the gun did blow up with the wrong ammo that he sold specifically with the gun.

Goes to show you just because a guy works in a gun store doesn't mean that he knows what he talking about. Fortunately, most know their stuff.

I once saw funniest looking brass lying on the ground at the range.
It had almost NO neck. The headstamp said 300 winchester mag, but the case had tried to obviously fire form to the Weatherby mag chamber it was fired in! I bet that dude thought "Weatherby's shoot good, yeah right!" I bet somebody got a good deal in a .300 Weatherby mag.

If a chambering has got an "x" in the name and it ain't from the good ol' USA, I don't want shit to do with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some people should not be around guns............ </div></div>

Or allowed outside without a foam helmet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, thats crazy, I didn't even know there was such a thing as a non rimmed 7.62x54. I thought the russian was the only type of x54 ammo. What kind of rifles are found chambered in this ammo? </div></div>
OP said it was not rimless 7.62X54, it was 7.65X54...kinda like stuffing a .338 WM in a .300 WM chamber.

Thats crazy! Good thing it did not go off if he was standing close to you.