• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what oal length for 700 5r 308?

jdutton24

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
alabama
im new to reloading myself but my pops has been reloading for years and ive helped him alot but never by myself. we loaded up some 308 for my 5r and he insisted that the oal be 2.795. everything ive read stated at least 2.800. he has an ss older model 7 and he worked up a load for it a few years ago and its quite accurate and his data stated 2.795 oal. i read that 5r throat and chamber are longer so i was wondering what oal u guys running in 5r? are the throats and chambers more consistent that other 700 models? thanks

Re: what oal length for 700 5r 308?

you should see what length will feed from your mag and seat just short of that measurement

i can seat at 2.83 and still feed fine

I've got mine at 2.810. I think i can do 2.830. Yeah every rifle is different. My youth model 700 (.243) i'm subject to 2.795

Well we dont have anything to measure the length as far as i know. So what can we do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rammerjammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well we dont have anything to measure the length as far as i know. So what can we do? </div></div>

Remington makes their throats pretty deep and the distance to lands are long so you'll run out of magazine space long before you hit the lands. There's nothing wrong with 2.795 if it works, and depending on how he worked the load up, it may be a fine-tune for the OCW. You need to follow Dan Newberry's guide and get an Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) for the powder and bullet, you plan to use, then you can fine tune it with OAL.

Well mine is 2.97 to the lands. But all of my loaded rounds are at 2.80 because of the mag.

another way to measure would be to barely seat a bullet into the case, I am talking just enough to hold it, then chamber it, then remove the round and measure. The OAL gauge is the better way to go, but if you don't have one or access to a store that has one, or don't feel like waiting, the generic way will work.

My best load came in at 2.810 (2.232 ogive to base) using 175 SMK and 43.5 Varget.
All loads I tested grouped better at .010 over.
Your rifle may like them a little longer... or not.
You never said what bullet and powder you were shooting.

We loaded up 168 smk with 42.5 grains of imr 4895. I talked him into the half grain
smile.gif
. I like h4895 more than imr but they both really good. He claims 4895 is the best for 308 but he never tried varget. Doesn't really seem that intereste in it. He's kinda set in ways I guess

Here's a link to what you'll need to measure by ogive to base.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231904/...-with-6-inserts

You'll also need a basic caliper. It need not be expensive but it should be consistent.
Combine the two tools with the proper insert and measure consistently.
Midway or Sinclair Intl, maybe your local store.
It's one of those things that actually helps and is not just another twonky to be thrown in a drawer.

Calipers are not an issue. He has made valves all his life pretty much so he has a bunch lying around and knows measurements inside and out. Ill check out that link sir. And again thanks guys for all the info its greatly appreciated