• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What of the R700 SPS Varmint?

NaturesKin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm really intrigued by the R700 models. And I'm having a tough time choosing an affordable one that can shoot 1000yrds effectively. I've been recomended the SPS Varmint over the VTR. And Did some research. I like the SPS better. The barrel isnt of that new triangle cut crap. And it's got a 26" heavy-contour barrel for the type of range as well.

I was wondering if anyone out there owns one that can let me know how it shoots at 500yrds at least? What kinda groups does it get, and in what caliber you've got it in?

Re: What of the R700 SPS Varmint?

Unless you're willing to drive 1000 miles, you might want to put a city next to your state.

You'll be much happier in the long run with the SPS over the VTR. Take the extra money you'll save a buy a new stock right away though.

They are more accurate than a a lot of the people driving them, that is for sure. Like Jason said though, you will want to change out the stock as soon as you get the rifle. The factory stock is crap.

Diggler, what specifically is crap about them? Im learning here to.

I own two SPS Varmints one in .223 and .308. Great shooters after you either change stocks or bed the factory stock. Lighten up the trigger pull also. The .223 bedded the factory stock, .308 changed it out to a 5R and completely bedded the action. As far as shooting to 500 yards plus haven't had the option to do. Have some Lake City 7.62 match would love to try out to that range.

Short answer is the stock is weak, most will flex enough to touch the barrel when a bipod is used and leads to stringing groups rather than nice clusters. The stock was the first thing I replaced on my 223 tactical and the groups became consistent. But if you are shooting less than 200 yards you won’t notice it to much.

One of my 308's is a straight up Varmint, pre SPS, and it will hold well under moa when driven right. Last week while working up a new load I managed a couple nice 3 shot groups under 1/4 moa center to center. So they can be real shooters with the right loads.

Best advice, get the SPS and put it into a McMillan that fits you, put good glass on it and you will be smiling to and from the range.

Recently had an SPS in .243win. Threw it in an AI chasis, adjusted the trigger and loaded rounds to max length, 95gr berger vlds. You can get a B&C stock for just over $200 from stocky's stocks or wherever. Did very good out to a thousand yards on many prolonged occasions.

I have the SPS Tac 308win and put one of the new Choate Stocks on it( The one that looks like an A5 MCM). It has a full aluminum bedding block and was 170 at combatstocks.com. I have had the stock for a month now and this thing works very well.

Wow guys! Thanks for the info! It looks like I'm going for the SPS for sure! It's just what I need. The SPS Varmint preferably. I'm going to change out the stock of coarse. It looks like shit, and feels like shit. It's just a hollow hunk of nothing. Lol. I'll see what I can do to free float the barrel as well.

And I think I'm going to slap on a detatchable magazine as well. If thats possible? Does anyone know if you can put a detachable magazine onto it?

The issue I have with the SPS Varmint is that I don't see the point of a 26" barrel on a 308. It makes the rifle muzzle heavy...and just heavy overall, that's why I prefer the SPS Tactical or LTR with the shorter barrel on a rifle that will be carried in the field or used for hunting.

(Well...that and the useless stock, but both of these points are minor and easily fixed with a little gunsmithing. Actually, just a hacksaw will do...to shorten the barrel and cut the stock into more easily disposable chunks...
crazy.gif

Comparing ballistics, the 20" BBL gives most of what the 308 is capable of and has enough capability to reach out to 1000 yards or beyond with the right bullet/load. It puts holes in paper, but the 308 is barely squeaking by at 1000 yards at best, so the hurdle is in my brain,... why cart around that extra 6" of steel. On a 300 RUM sure...a 300 WM maybe, but for me, the plus side of a 308 is that it can be made into a smaller, lighter, handier package that is better suited for it's range capabilities.

Some just like long barrels so it is a personal choice, but not necessary for ballistic reasons.

Look up some of Montana Marine's posts for his velocity testing and his take on the matter.

TC

In the long range paper punching game I play in (F-t/f class) I don't see anyone "competeing" (a key word there) with a 20" .308 Win. Actually, most are using barrels closer to 28" or even 30". I realize that typically you're only toting these type rifles from the truck to the firing line, but repeatable acurracy is the goal in this game, and the longer barrels seem to be winning. Just my observations.

I just got an SPS Varmint in .204 and it shot about 1 moa all stock. I adjusted the x mark trigger as low as i could and can shoot 1/2 moa and im by no means a great shooter. The stock isn't that bad either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue I have with the SPS Varmint is that I don't see the point of a 26" barrel on a 308. It makes the rifle muzzle heavy...and just heavy overall, that's why I prefer the SPS Tactical or LTR with the shorter barrel on a rifle that will be carried in the field or used for hunting.

(Well...that and the useless stock, but both of these points are minor and easily fixed with a little gunsmithing. Actually, just a hacksaw will do...to shorten the barrel and cut the stock into more easily disposable chunks...
crazy.gif

Comparing ballistics, the 20" BBL gives most of what the 308 is capable of and has enough capability to reach out to 1000 yards or beyond with the right bullet/load. It puts holes in paper, but the 308 is barely squeaking by at 1000 yards at best, so the hurdle is in my brain,... why cart around that extra 6" of steel. On a 300 RUM sure...a 300 WM maybe, but for me, the plus side of a 308 is that it can be made into a smaller, lighter, handier package that is better suited for it's range capabilities.

Some just like long barrels so it is a personal choice, but not necessary for ballistic reasons.

Look up some of Montana Marine's posts for his velocity testing and his take on the matter.

TC

</div></div>

Sure the longer barrel doesnt affect the range, the shorter barrel can get that range too. But by simple physics, the longer barrel gives the bullet that straighter shot for a longer range... right? At least that is my opinion.

I understand that having a shorter barrel is more convieniant on the field. But that convinience sacrificed for accuracy at a longer range is good for me.

Now when someone states the MOA of thier gun, is that being shot at a specific yardage in general? For instince, 1/2 MOA, is that being shot at 100yrds or so? I still dont understand the term MOA in the means of speaking. I understand the the abbreviations. But not the use in sniper talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperWannabeee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now when someone states the MOA of thier gun, is that being shot at a specific yardage in general? For instince, 1/2 MOA, is that being shot at 100yrds or so? I still dont understand the term MOA in the means of speaking. I understand the the abbreviations. But not the use in sniper talk. </div></div>

Formally, Minute of Angle (MOA) is a unit of measurement of a circle, and is 1.0472 inches at 100 yards. However, the term is generally used to represent a 1" group at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, 3" at 300 yards etc.

i love my sps. before i ever fired it i had a smith rechamber it to .243 ai, true the action. put it in an hs stock and it shoots lights out. when the x-mark went nuts i added a jewell and now i have a tried and true long range tack driver for alot less than custom. all together i put about $1200 into this set-up and couldn't be happier with the result. it may not be as smooth or pretty as a custom, but it shoots like one when i do my job.

www.azprecisiongunsmithing.com
front page is my SPS varmint in .243.
I highly recommend a .243 over a .308 for ballistics reasons.
As for the SPS 700, HIGHLY recommend it! Mine shoots half minute with 95gr bergers and 44gr RL22. Chrono said 2950. BC was .533 but the Berger admitted it to be .48something.
I'm using a light load and still, .480 at 2950.... Beat that with a .308 using a light load.

Buy an SPS, break it in correctly, and you'll love it.

Keith Johns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue I have with the SPS Varmint is that I don't see the point of a 26" barrel on a 308. It makes the rifle muzzle heavy...and just heavy overall, that's why I prefer the SPS Tactical or LTR with the shorter barrel on a rifle that will be carried in the field or used for hunting.

crazy.gif

TC

</div></div>

There's been a few test reports on here in the last several years about the effects of barrel length on velocity. The effects are'nt huge but are somewhat sugnificant IIRC. The gain per inch decreases as more inches are added and again, IIRC, 30 to 50fps per inch is a conservative guess on the average. Maybe someone who has has done a test will jump in with facts. Anyway, all this to say, if your on the ragged edge already @ 1K like you are with a .308, every fps counts. A few inches could gain you a couple hundred very important fps.

okie
okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue I have with the SPS Varmint is that I don't see the point of a 26" barrel on a 308. It makes the rifle muzzle heavy...and just heavy overall, that's why I prefer the SPS Tactical or LTR with the shorter barrel on a rifle that will be carried in the field or used for hunting.

crazy.gif

TC

</div></div>

There's been a few test reports on here in the last several years about the effects of barrel length on velocity. The effects are'nt huge but are somewhat sugnificant IIRC. The gain per inch decreases as more inches are added and again, IIRC, 30 to 50fps per inch is a conservative guess on the average. Maybe someone who has has done a test will jump in with facts. Anyway, all this to say, if your on the ragged edge already @ 1K like you are with a .308, every fps counts. A few inches could gain you a couple hundred very important fps.

okie
okie</div></div>

So what your saying is the longer the barrel the more fps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperWannabeee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now when someone states the MOA of thier gun, is that being shot at a specific yardage in general? For instince, 1/2 MOA, is that being shot at 100yrds or so? I still dont understand the term MOA in the means of speaking. I understand the the abbreviations. But not the use in sniper talk. </div></div>

Formally, Minute of Angle (MOA) is a unit of measurement of a circle, and is 1.0472 inches at 100 yards. However, the term is generally used to represent a 1" group at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, 3" at 300 yards etc.</div></div>

So 1/2" MOA is shot at 100yrds? And the 1/2 is the size of the group at 100yrds?

Minute of angle is not for a fixed distance. 1 MOA equates to about 1" at 100 yards. 1/2 MOA equates to about 1/2" at 100 yards. A 1" group at 200 yards is still 1/2 MOA.

A note on velocity loss....

I recently cut the 26" barrel on my SPSV to 20". It's a 308 Win and I lost 70fps on average with it's favorite 168gr/R-15 load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperWannabeee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue I have with the SPS Varmint is that I don't see the point of a 26" barrel on a 308. It makes the rifle muzzle heavy...and just heavy overall, that's why I prefer the SPS Tactical or LTR with the shorter barrel on a rifle that will be carried in the field or used for hunting.

crazy.gif

TC

</div></div>

okie
okie</div></div>

So what your saying is the longer the barrel the more fps? </div></div>

Yes, but as you can see in el gor do's post, sometimes it aint much.

okie

i had a great time with my sps-v in 308 had no problems and after around 300 rounds and a tubbs final finish set the group sizes shrunk to around 1/2 moa just as long as i diddnt let the barrel get hot if it did the groups opened a lot.

You got the barrrel hot on a sps-v? come on now, its a bolt gun. I've got the sps-tac and I can shoot the shit outta it and still pick it up by the barrel. Any by no meens does it affect my acuracy, sept maybe for the heat obsuring the view through the scope, but even then...

Longer barrel lends itself to staying on target with no effort, seeing hits at long range/high magnification for faster follow-ups......imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got the barrrel hot on a sps-v? come on now, its a bolt gun. I've got the sps-tac and <span style="text-decoration: underline">I can shoot the shit outta it and still pick it up by the barrel.</span> Any by no meens does it affect my acuracy, sept maybe for the heat obsuring the view through the scope, but even then... </div></div>

Do you have catcher's mitts for hands?

It isn't too hard to get the barrel pretty hot on my 5R.

my sps-v gets HOT after 5-8 rounds. I let cool a long while after every 5 shots. If you can pick mine up after shooting the shit out of it, especially with my hot ass hand loads then I would like to shake your hand. only after you let your palm cools off.

buy a sps-v replace the pos factory stock you won't be dissappointed. you can find a hogue take off in the wts section for around 60-70 thats a great place to start. mine shoots good with it. looking forward to the b&c upgrade soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got the barrrel hot on a sps-v? come on now, its a bolt gun. I've got the sps-tac and I can shoot the shit outta it and still pick it up by the barrel. Any by no meens does it affect my acuracy, sept maybe for the heat obsuring the view through the scope, but even then... </div></div>

wtf are you really trying to call me out on this?
what stock do you have on the sps tac
and shooting the shit out of your rifle is that more
or less that 5 rounds in a hour

SPSV is great. I have a B&C tactical stock with a bed job and it shoots just as well as my buddies 5r. Uprade the barrelled action and you will get results. Just my stupid opinion.

i like mine too, great start to build off of. It shot around .6 MOA right out of the box using TAP ammo. After I replaced the stock it shot around .5.

I dont think anyone posted in response to the DBM question, so I will. all m700s will accept a DBM system. What matters is whether or not your stock is inletted for that bottom metal. The aftermarket BM for a m700 is a good investment, but the DBM style is more expensive. Personally I like the McRee Precision stocks because it requires no bedding and can automatically convert your platform to accept DBM w/o any BM. A McRee stock runs, at most, as much as any other top shelf stock depending on features. It can, and usually does, cost less because you dont need to buy any aftermarket BM. I think they are cheaper in the long run, but no less quality than other stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got the barrrel hot on a sps-v? come on now, its a bolt gun. I've got the sps-tac and I can shoot the shit outta it and still pick it up by the barrel. Any by no meens does it affect my acuracy, sept maybe for the heat obsuring the view through the scope, but even then... </div></div>

Something tells me you dont shoot bolt guns a whole lot.
smile.gif

okie

or it might be that i have very little feeling the right hand.

Oh and didn't Frank just do a video on the effects of heat and deviations in POI. Think he shot 20 rounds in maybe a min and a half and then one more to prove that the POI had not shifted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or it might be that i have very little feeling the right hand.

Oh and didn't Frank just do a video on the effects of heat and deviations in POI. Think he shot 20 rounds in maybe a min and a half and then one more to prove that the POI had not shifted. </div></div>

the sps-v has no pillars and no bedding and is a piece of plastic
when the barrel and action got hot your poi is going to change vs. a aics or a pillar mcmillan etc wich will have much less deviance.
and that is also why i asked you what stock is on yours i am going to assume it is the hogue that has pillars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperWannabeee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue I have with the SPS Varmint is that I don't see the point of a 26" barrel on a 308. It makes the rifle muzzle heavy...and just heavy overall, that's why I prefer the SPS Tactical or LTR with the shorter barrel on a rifle that will be carried in the field or used for hunting.

crazy.gif

TC

</div></div>

okie
okie</div></div>

So what your saying is the longer the barrel the more fps? </div></div>

Yes, but as you can see in el gor do's post, sometimes it aint much.

okie</div></div>

For me, every little bit counts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or it might be that i have very little feeling the right hand.

Oh and didn't Frank just do a video on the effects of heat and deviations in POI. Think he shot 20 rounds in maybe a min and a half and then one more to prove that the POI had not shifted. </div></div>

Yeah, ah, if your talking to me, I never said anything about POI. I was refering to you saying you couldn't get the barrel hot enough that you could'nt touch it on a turn bolt.

okie