• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What powder to use for 60 V-MAX

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
My choices are H335, RL-15, Varget.

Favorite loads would be appreciated. I'll be shooting this out of 18" 1:8 barrel.

Re: What powder to use for 60 V-MAX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My choices are H335, RL-15, Varget.

Favorite loads would be appreciated. I'll be shooting this out of 18" 1:8 barrel.

</div></div>

For my 3, .223s I've found 26 grains of Varget the most accurate, with the most velocity. I don't remember velocity, but, was shooting about 5/8" at 200 yards out of my ARs.

I don't remember the charge weight, but, with lower velocity, I got about the same accuracy with H335, but, it seemed that it changed a lot from lot number to lot number of powder.

Benchmark for 50-60gr. Varget for anything above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benchmark for 50-60gr. </div></div>

+1

Thanks for the replies.

If you had to choose from RL-15, Varget, and H335, which would you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies.

If you had to choose from RL-15, Varget, and H335, which would you choose.

</div></div>

I have no experience with Varget, out of the other two I get better results from H335 from both of my rifles in that size. I see varying results from lot to lot with a number of powders, and the H335 that I have is from 1 lot and I have 24 more pounds of it, so I'm set for a while. I don't mind working 25-30 rounds of loading data to get back on after I've loaded 6000 rounds from what I currently have on my shelves.

60 gr. V-Max's and Varget shoot great out of my Colt 1/9 24".
ARGroup-1.jpg

H4895 for everything from 52gr to 80gr.
Its all I use and its always consistent on target and meters like a dream in my cheap Lee PPM.
This is at least MOA to 600 yrds with my magfed 75gr BTHP.
The 52gr+55gr hornady were(for the most part) 1/2 inch at 100yrds.
Unless hodgdon changes there formula or something,This is all I'll use in an AR.

ok. Now for the hard question.... Where can i find them? I thought gamiel had them in-stock.

I shoot varget with my 60 gr vmax load...and cci magnum primers. The magnum primers really seem to work well for me with this load - in just about any gun I've tried.

Another bonus is that I use varget in my 243, 260 and 308 loads...

I use Benchmark for everything. 40's all the way up too 69SMK in my 1-9 20in LTR

In my 16" 1:8 I use AA2460 with 60g VMax. Accurate in mine. YMMV.

No 60gr here, but I like Varget.

Savage 12fv 26" bbl, 1:9 twist
Hornady 68 gr. BTHP-Match
23.35 gr Varget / ~3,000 fps

R700 SPS 24", 1:12 twist
Hornady 50 gr. BT V-Max
23.35 gr Varget / ~3,200 fps

The Savage will shoot 1/2" at 200 yards, but the R700 load needs to be adjusted.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJWLP81qCAE&feature=channel"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJWLP81qCAE&feature=channel" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

This opened my eyes to the 60VMAX.