• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What powder to use in 45 acp?

beretta989

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
South Dakota Huron area
I'm getting ready to start reloading some 45acp for my 1911 and need some advice on what powder you guys use. I have 200gr fmjs and 230 HPS. I mainly just want to load HPs for shooting pests and my everyday carry ammo. Paying 20-30$ for 20rds is fine if you never shoot your pistol. I've got blue and red dot but Its dirty as shit when burned in a pistol. I've loaded rifle and shotgun for over 10yrs so I know my way around the press. Thanks again.

Re: What powder to use in 45 acp?

Power pistol 6.5 grns
Bulls eye 4.0 grns

These loads hover around 800 fps in my 5" barrel with a 230 grn ball.

YMMV

WOW, I could have sworn there was a thread asking this very question not too long ago.

I use Clays and have tried Tite-group. Both do well, clays at 4.5 and tite at 5.

I use Varget in my 308 so 'dirty' might not be the same as what you think
wink.gif

Good luck

+1 for titegroup

...Hope you're not loading your own CC ammo...

clays, I like it because I use 4grns with a 230gr jhp, where as other powders you might need 6grns, so I am saving 1/3 more powder, thats a lot in the long run. Plus it runs clean, for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clays, I like it because I use 4grns with a 230gr jhp, where as other powders you might need 6grns, so I am saving 1/3 more powder, thats a lot in the long run. Plus it runs clean, for me. </div></div>

Same here, it's pretty clean and shots soft.

I like Power Pistol for 45acp carry, but sometimes 3N37 for lower flash.
Power Pistol is tiny flakes that meter well.
It looks and smells like Bullseye, and was once called "Bullseye 84".
But it is higher density than Bullseye, and that is how to distinguish it from Bullseye if you can't remember what you left in the powder measure hopper.
Power Pistol also etches the green plastic RCBS uniflow hopper, if left over night.
Bullseye was a product created from the floor sweepings of making Unique, the world's oldest chemical product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...Hope you're not loading your own CC ammo... </div></div>

What Turbo said

Bullseye or 231. Stay away from the LEE FCD. Useless on the 45acp. If you have to use one of these, you have other problems that need fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomme boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullseye or 231. </div></div>

Are you talking about Winchester 231 I just happen to have half a lb of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomme boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullseye or 231. </div></div>

Are you talking about Winchester 231 I just happen to have half a lb of that. </div></div>

I used to load 231, for .45. It's a little harsh, and not the cleanest, but, it isn't bad. If I remember correctly, I ran 5.1 grains of 231, behind a 230 FMJ, with an OAL of 1.25.

I was running Clays, which feels softer, but, I'm not going to use it anymore because for me, it is too temperature sensitive. The warmer the temperature, the faster it goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll give 231 a try, thanks guys </div></div>

Order up some powder solvent too...you'll need it!

I use 5.6 grains of Win 231 with 200 gr. SWC for IDPA and general target loads.

231 is not that dirty. If you use cast bullets, the lube can leave carbon depending on what type it is.

Titegroup
Power Pistol
W-231

I shoot mainly Rainier Bullets. 185gr. HP, 200gr. FP, 230gr. RN out of a Springfield XD 45 ACP

I grab a couple hand fulls of brass out of a 5 gall. bucket of range brass, resize, bell, prime, throw powder and seat bullet.- Done.

Have been using Winchester WST with very good results.

What are peoples thoughts on using red dot. I've used it because my friends progressive loader was set up that way and it seemed to work for him.

I use both Titegroup and WW231 with good results.
Titegroup works well for medium plinking loads but I can get a little more power out of the 231 with a bit more safety margin.

When I first started using Clays in my XD45 I used 4 grains, it felt great, however it didnt knock down the poppers like the other 45s.

Goosed the charge to 4.5 grains and was rocking and rolling with the best of them.

Clays universal, however it seems like im the only one using it. It gives you some of the highest velocity (per grains used) when compared to most other powders. 5.6 grains behind a 230 jhp gets 844 fps. My load for a 200 grain lead is 6 grains (6.2 max = 944 fps). I think it burns real clean.