• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What power scope ?

rmbgreen

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
South Carolina
I have a Leupold Mark 4 M1 4.5x10 power scope. I am considering a higher power scope but I was always told the 10 power gave the best accuarcy.It does a great job for me. The futherest I shoot is 500 yards.Should I upgrade to the Leupold 6.5x20?

Re: What power scope ?

I think you are a little confused.

On fixed magnification scopes, the normal format is to put the magnification power first, the second number is the diameter of the objective lens.

In your example a 4.5 x 10 would be a 4.5 power (magnification scope) with a 10mm diameter objective lens.

Unless you mean it is a variable scope with a 4.5-10x mag?

Magnification does not equal skill, nor accuracy.

A 10x is more than enough for 500 yards.

I'd agree with the other comments here that a 10x scope is more than adequate for 500yds (I use a fixed 10x - MST100 - from 100 out to 1000yds).

If you are looking to upgrade, maybe look at changing the Leupy for another 10x with better glass? S&B, USO, NF?

Just my £0.02

Good luck with it whatever you decide

If you upgrade you'd (probably) be able to see bullet holes in your target (people usually do that with a spotting scope).

Others already stated that for shooting 10x is adequate at 500 yd (not that extra magnification would hurt you - but are you willing to pay for something you don't necessarily need?).

Another good point already made - it makes sense to upgrade to a better glass (not just to a greater magnification).

It takes a really good day with a really good scope to see bullet holes usually @ 500. I wouldn't upgrade just to do that. It would take a lot to overcome that.

However, I shoot often enough at that range and have found that my 20x is more helpful when shooting our 'animal' targets. The various score zones aren't concentric. For the standard ring-type, black in the middle targets, a 10x would be fine. I would say same with steel. Any target where it's as much a sight picture rather than fine points on the target, I would say 10x is high enough.

And, FWIW, I understood what you meant. There isn't a front objective today that is 10mm. So, I assumed you meant the standard 3.5-10X, Leupold variable scope.

Also, you can (almost) always dial a higher-magnification scope down if you don't need that extra magnification. Doesn't work the other way!

It depends on the size of your target and the reticle, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, you can (almost) always dial a higher-magnification scope down if you don't need that extra magnification. Doesn't work the other way! </div></div>

That's my philosophy.

I have also found that no matter the power range, or how good the glass is, a variable is best at just under its max power. I find myself running 14Xish a lot on my 17X top end scopes and 17Xish on my 25's......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greenron15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was always told the 10 power gave the best accuarcy. </div></div>

Yeah, that's why you'll find zero 10X scopes on the F-Class or Benchrest open lines.
Speaking of lines, that sounds like a gunshop line if I've ever heard one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greenron15</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was always told the 10 power gave the best accuarcy. </div></div>

Yeah, that's why you'll find zero 10X scopes on the F-Class or Benchrest open lines.
Speaking of lines, that sounds like a gunshop line if I've ever heard one!</div></div>

That's definitely a "buy this scope today, or regret it forever." gunshop line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrSwede</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Magnification does not equal skill, nor accuracy.</div></div>
Very true. You can have the all the magnification in the world, but if the shooter, weapon, and ammo aren't up to it the task the magnification won't help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrSwede</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A 10x is more than enough for 500 yards.</div></div>
Not necessarily - it depends on the size of the target. Higher magnification, as long as the image is still very sharp, can be useful at both long and short range because it allows a more exact point of aiming point (although the aiming point is also affected by the reticle subtension). Thats' one reason why I love my PMII Gen 2 XRs' - the clarity of the glass and .075" line thickness allow me to "quarter" sub-1/2 MOA targets near and far. Most FFP scopes can't do that.

Keith

Magnification does not equal skill, nor accuracy.

A 10x is more than enough for 500 yards. </div></div>
+1

I use a 3x18x42 IOR love the low end dont use much more than 16x out to 1000 only reason to upgrade i see would be for better glass. As far as better shooting just get more time behind trigger same your money to buy ammo and just shoot more and you will get better results than just buying optics... JUST MY 2 CENTS..